No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was curious about tickets....I know league tickets are often hard to come by for any of the top teams. Obviously all tickets are sold for the remaining games through the team sites.

I tried checking the secondary markets, and I realize I know nothing about stubhubish sites in the UK, but still. I found 3 tickets for sale on the only reliable site I could find that aren't in the visitor section for this week's game against the Swans.

Starting price, about $750 with fees. Tough ticket indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
      Great drama in Leicester this weekend where the home Foxes took advantage of a last second penalty to pull level with West Ham and salvage a point in their remarkable quest for a Premiership title.

It's fun to watch their fans enjoy this run. The home matches are like a lit stick of dynamite.....they are going to explode, you just don't know when.

I believe Leicester was something like 5000-1 to win the Premiership at the start of the season. They escaped relegation last season by finishing 7-1-1 in their last 9 (clearly now a sign of things to come) and even then by only 6 points.

On April 1, 2015 Leicester only had 19 points and their fans were certainly looking forward to matches this season against nearby rivals Derby County and Nottingham Forest as well as trips north to Leeds and the always intriguing visits to John Smith's Stadium (named after the former Shocker I wonder?) to face the Terriers of Huddersfield Town.

Instead, Leicester sits atop the Premiership, 8 points clear of Tottenham with just 4 remaining, they will be in the UEFA Champions League next season, and likely will bring Leicester their 1st top division championship ever.

In the 24 seasons of the Premier League, Leicester has only been involved in 10. And the big boys do not share. Only Blackburn's 94-95 Championship breaks up the big 4 dominance (Liverpool is usually involved but surprisingly, to me at least, has never won the Premiership). Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal have won the other 23.

Fun times if you like underdogs.
      There was a really great write-up on Reddit a while back regarding Leicester: https://www.reddit.com/r/sports/comm...r_league_here/

Comment

Great drama in Leicester this weekend where the home Foxes took advantage of a last second penalty to pull level with West Ham and salvage a point in their remarkable quest for a Premiership title.

It's fun to watch their fans enjoy this run. The home matches are like a lit stick of dynamite.....they are going to explode, you just don't know when.

I believe Leicester was something like 5000-1 to win the Premiership at the start of the season. They escaped relegation last season by finishing 7-1-1 in their last 9 (clearly now a sign of things to come) and even then by only 6 points.

On April 1, 2015 Leicester only had 19 points and their fans were certainly looking forward to matches this season against nearby rivals Derby County and Nottingham Forest as well as trips north to Leeds and the always intriguing visits to John Smith's Stadium (named after the former Shocker I wonder?) to face the Terriers of Huddersfield Town.

Instead, Leicester sits atop the Premiership, 8 points clear of Tottenham with just 4 remaining, they will be in the UEFA Champions League next season, and likely will bring Leicester their 1st top division championship ever.

In the 24 seasons of the Premier League, Leicester has only been involved in 10. And the big boys do not share. Only Blackburn's 94-95 Championship breaks up the big 4 dominance (Liverpool is usually involved but surprisingly, to me at least, has never won the Premiership). Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal have won the other 23.

Fun times if you like underdogs.
        Almost bought a Nottingham Forest jersey the other day. I really didn't know much about them but went and read up on their history. You want to talk about a coaching carousel -- it's nuts! They even fire their good coaches. Crazy!
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Did any of you watch the Leicester match yesterday? The atmosphere was amazing. One long 90 minute party.

And while they may not be loaded with superstars up and down the lineup, man do they play well as a team.

Still not going to be easy to clinch. Tottenham is playing great and could easily win the last 4. That would mean Leicester would still need 5 points from their last 3 to clinch.

For a 4 nil game, it was a lot of fun.

Comment

Did any of you watch the Leicester match yesterday? The atmosphere was amazing. One long 90 minute party.

And while they may not be loaded with superstars up and down the lineup, man do they play well as a team.

Still not going to be easy to clinch. Tottenham is playing great and could easily win the last 4. That would mean Leicester would still need 5 points from their last 3 to clinch.

For a 4 nil game, it was a lot of fun.
            Got a chance to catch it as well. Ulloa was great in the absence of Jamie Vardy. Riyad Mahrez has been outstanding this season as well. PFA Player of the Year.

For any who may just be casual fans of soccer, I HIGHLY encourage you to watch the last few Leicester City games this season. If you could imagine a AA team getting promoted to the MLB and being on the brink of winning the World Series, that is probably the closest thing to this.

EDIT: Now that Tottenham's match is over and they drew with West Bromwich Albion, Leicester City is one win (or three draws) away from the title with three matches to play. They play away at Old Trafford vs. Manchester United this Sunday at 8:00 AM. Their next two are at home vs. Everton and away at Stamford Bridge vs. Chelsea. Watch or DVR...you won't regret it. How crazy would it be if they won with two games in hand?
            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              If you could imagine a AA team getting promoted to the MLB and being on the brink of winning the World Series, that is probably the closest thing to this.
              Actually, that's a REALLY good analogy.
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Just looked at this weekend's fixtures. I'm really glad Tottenham don't play until Monday...I want a Leicester City win to seal the title for them, not a Spurs Loss/Draw.

Comment

Just looked at this weekend's fixtures. I'm really glad Tottenham don't play until Monday...I want a Leicester City win to seal the title for them, not a Spurs Loss/Draw.
                  It would appear we shall get neither today. Tottenham have a 2 nil halftime advantage at Stanford Bridge.

I will say the Leicester match at Old Trafford yesterday against Man U was delicious theater. I can't remember a 1-1 game that was that entertaining.

Comment

It would appear we shall get neither today. Tottenham have a 2 nil halftime advantage at Stanford Bridge.

I will say the Leicester match at Old Trafford yesterday against Man U was delicious theater. I can't remember a 1-1 game that was that entertaining.
                    Indeed. Wes Morgan was outstanding for Leicester. The only plus side is that they have a chance to clinch the title at home this coming weekend. As an Everton fan, I'm torn. Will probably root for Leicester to win.

Comment

Chelsea not done yet as they pull back 1 on a clinical strike from Gary Cahill!

Comment

It's a little disappointing that Leicester wins this way, but what a story!

Comment

Wow that escalated quickly!

Leicester are the champs!

Tottenham will be facing multiple changes next week with about 6 yellow cards.

Comment

Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                            It's a little disappointing that Leicester wins this way, but what a story!
                            True, but a week from now no one will care how they won it......hell, I bet no one cares right this minute!

A tremendous achievement and the fans of the Foxes will be celebrating for weeks and months to come.

Comment

Hazard's goal was incredible. The run, the pass, the technique. A shame that such a historic game was a few minutes away from an all out brawl. Tottenham (most notably Dier) came in nasty on a few challenges.

Can't imagine how ecstatic Leicester and their fans are. Simply incredible.

Comment

Hazard's goal was incredible. The run, the pass, the technique. A shame that such a historic game was a few minutes away from an all out brawl. Tottenham (most notably Dier) came in nasty on a few challenges.

Can't imagine how ecstatic Leicester and their fans are. Simply incredible.
                                No doubt about Hazard's goal...one of the best all season!

If Don Ebert or Steve Pecher would have been on the pitch, I shudder to think how many red cards and stretchers would have been shown.

Who was the guy that stepped on the Chelsea player's hand (Cesc Fabregas?) around midfield and acted like it was an accident? I have to think he's going to miss a game or 2.

Comment

Working...
                                X