No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For the upcoming Euro 2016 onlookers, may I know who are you guys rooting for? As for me, I would cheer for Team England but as far as choosing which team I would put my money on, I believe Team Germany is a great pick. How about you guys?

Comment

Originally posted by janesill View Post
      For the upcoming Euro 2016 onlookers, may I know who are you guys rooting for? As for me, I would cheer for Team England but as far as choosing which team I would put my money on, I believe Team Germany is a great pick. How about you guys?
      I cheer for the Dutch due to my heritage, but they've been in shambles and didn't even qualify. Ugh. I'll probably be pulling for England or Italy. Would be cool to see Northern Ireland or someone like Ukraine or Iceland do well.
      "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

France always does very well in major tournies ... when they play in France. But Germany.
        Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Atletico Madrid advance on an away goal to the CL Final over Bayern today. Griezmann was offside on the goal he scored, but they advance nonetheless. Hope Manchester City wins tomorrow.

Comment

Champions League: Ugh...I'm sick of La Liga, but they consistently have the best two to three teams in Europe. Real Madrid vs. Atletico Madrid. I saw a stat the other day that said in the UCL KO stage, no Spanish team lost to a non-Spanish team. That's INSANE. Would love to see Atletico take this one home as they were SO close to winning in 2014.

Premier League: Most uneventful "Championship Sunday" I can remember. Relegation spots had all been filled, Leicester City were champions. The only redeeming quality was that it was St. Totteringham's Day AGAIN! My Toffees sent Tim Howard off with a hero's goodbye. Glad he represented the USA so well and was an integral part of Everton lore.

Others: Still no updates on the Copa America roster for the USMNT. I'm not sure when they're due, but I'm looking forward to seeing who's on them. Hopefully Klinsmann goes a little more pragmatic again, but I'm not holding my breath.

Speaking of pragmatic, Bob Bradley nearly took Le Havre of the French second division to Ligue 1. Le Havre needed 6 goals to clinch promotion and only won 5-0! Crazy. I often find myself wondering where we'd be if he were still manager of the USMNT (I know Kung will disagree).

Going to be a LOT of soccer on TV in June/July. For those of you who are casual fans, I HIGHLY recommend the Copa America, which will be at more convenient times for those working first shift, or the EURO, which will likely be televised mostly during the afternoon. Some great soccer to be played and I can't wait to take it all in.

Comment

Any update on what happened at Old Trafford?

Comment

Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                Any update on what happened at Old Trafford?
                From the articles I've read, it seems that a device that was placed there as part of a bomb training exercise (at a time earlier in the week) had been accidentally left. So it looked and seemed like a bomb, but wasn't.

An "urgent" inquiry is demanded into how a dummy bomb used in a security exercise caused a Premier League match at Manchester United to be postponed.
                Last edited by Kel Varnsen; May 15, 2016, 08:06 PM.

Comment

USA roster for Copa America.

Comment

nm

Comment

• Looks like the "Special One" will be coming to Old Trafford!

As a United fan, I am excited to see it happen.
                      The Assman

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

USA roster for Copa America.
                        Looks like Klinsmann wants to win this.

Comment

• Some good reads/listens in the lead up to Copa America:

Podcast on the state of US Soccer - Grant Wahl, Tab Ramos, Christine Lilly, and Jimmy Conrad - Hour and a half long, but well worth a listen: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016...y-jimmy-conrad

Great feature on Messi by Grant Wahl: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/vide...messi-si-films

Some of you may or may not know about the photo shoot that took place before the 2002 World Cup. If you read this, you won't be able to forget: http://grantland.com/features/usmnt-...shoot-history/

I anticipate the lineup for Copa America will go something like this:

ST - Wood | ST - Dempsey
                          LM - Bedoya | CAM - Bradley | RM - Zardes
                          CDM - Jones
                          LB - Johnson | CB - Cameron | CB - Brooks | RB - Yedlin
                          GK - Guzan

Also, game tonight vs. Ecuador. 7 PM on ESPN2. Check it out.

Comment

• Nagbe and Pulisic looked GOOD the other night. Love what they can bring to the table.

Tomorrow is going to be awesome. First, the promotion playoff between Sheffield Wednesday and Hull City at 11 AM Central (beIN Sports if you have it). With the new television deal, a LOT of money is at stake. Going to be fun. Then, Champions League Final is at 1:45 PM Central. Rooting for Athletico Madrid to beat Real Madrid, but we'll see. I haven't watched either team enough this year to know much.

Comment

• And Shurtz, I did see Man U is hiring Jose Mourinho. I know you're a fan, but it makes me loathe them even more. :)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                                Some good reads/listens in the lead up to Copa America:

Podcast on the state of US Soccer - Grant Wahl, Tab Ramos, Christine Lilly, and Jimmy Conrad - Hour and a half long, but well worth a listen: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/2016...y-jimmy-conrad

Great feature on Messi by Grant Wahl: http://www.si.com/planet-futbol/vide...messi-si-films

Some of you may or may not know about the photo shoot that took place before the 2002 World Cup. If you read this, you won't be able to forget: http://grantland.com/features/usmnt-...shoot-history/

I anticipate the lineup for Copa America will go something like this:

ST - Wood | ST - Dempsey
                                LM - Bedoya | CAM - Bradley | RM - Zardes
                                CDM - Jones
                                LB - Johnson | CB - Cameron | CB - Brooks | RB - Yedlin
                                GK - Guzan

Also, game tonight vs. Ecuador. 7 PM on ESPN2. Check it out.
                                But ... but ... Besler?

Comment

Working...
                                X