No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow, and I checked this thread out to see why there was a discussion of soccer on the basketball message board. Looks like I was too late to get that questyion answered.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
      Wow, and I checked this thread out to see why there was a discussion of soccer on the basketball message board. Looks like I was too late to get that questyion answered.
      Bah, you're right on time for the good part!
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

I might have to rethink my disdain for soccer. I could see myself getting slobbering drunk and singing profanities and offensive songs.

From Reddit:

When Ajax coach Louis Van Gaal lost his wife to cancer, Feyenoord fans sang: "Van Gaal had a cancer jew whore wife and now he lives alone".

Ajax fans in their turn like to sing about the fact that Rotterdam was the target of a nazi bombardment in WWII, which killed 800 civilians.
        There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
          I might have to rethink my disdain for soccer. I could see myself getting slobbering drunk and singing profanities and offensive songs.

From Reddit:

When Ajax coach Louis Van Gaal lost his wife to cancer, Feyenoord fans sang: "Van Gaal had a cancer jew whore wife and now he lives alone".

Ajax fans in their turn like to sing about the fact that Rotterdam was the target of a nazi bombardment in WWII, which killed 800 civilians.
          You've got to do something to end the endless mind-numbing boredom that is soccer. An hour and a half to end up with a score of 1-0 lends itself to obscene drunken singing.
          Last edited by Aargh; April 10, 2016, 09:28 PM. Reason: Thought I should correct typos when commenting on drunkenness
          The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
          We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
            You've got to do something to end the endless mind-numbing boredom that is soccer. An hour and a half to end up with a score of 1-0 lends itslef to obsecene drunken singing.
            Now you're gettin' it!!

Comment

Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

From Reddit:

Now that seems a bit offsides......they'll probably be crying themselves to sleep on their huge pillah.

Comment

Ok. If Shocker Sound doesn't get properly funded, this should be the aftermath. When we play Missouri State we need 10506 people singing "Your sister is your mother, your father is your brother..."

Comment

Originally posted by Eric View Post
                  Ok. If Shocker Sound doesn't get properly funded, this should be the aftermath. When we play Missouri State we need 10506 people singing "Your sister is your mother, your father is your brother..."
                  To the tune of Adam's Family!

Comment

This thread has me a little

This

or this

or perhaps this one

I don't know, may be this one
                    “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

"Sexton #$cked it up!
                      Sexton#cked it up!
                      We used to have good basebaaaaaaall,
                      but Sexton #$cked it up!"

Comment

@Kung Wu: I'd be interested to hear your take on Klinsmann given all that has transpired since this thread originally started. I've been on the #FireKlinsmann train lately, given the record we've posted, the way we performed at the Gold Cup, and have failed to impress (in no small part due to his constant experimentation with lineups) since.

If his lineups looked more like the one we saw in Columbus against Guatemala, I'd be more inclined to be more understanding. I'd just like to see some success this summer at Copa America Centenario.
                        "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                          @Kung Wu I'd be interested to hear your take on Klinsmann given all that has transpired since this thread originally started. I've been on the #FireKlinsmann train lately, given the record we've posted, the way we performed at the Gold Cup, and have failed to impress (in no small part due to his constant experimentation with lineups) since.

If his lineups looked more like the one we saw in Columbus against Guatemala, I'd be more inclined to be more understanding. I'd just like to see some success this summer at Copa America Centenario.
                          I'm still very much on the Klinsmann train. I've explained to friends that Klinsmann not winning the Gold Cup is like Marshall not winning a preseason tournament. It sucks for the sake of losing, but ultimately is pretty irrelevant -- all that matters right now is World Cup performance. So bottom line is, I take a very long view of what Klinsmann is doing, and he's searching for a few diamonds in the rough. He's also quick to allow his aces (like Besler) to play important club games instead of international matches, when the clubs request it. I think that's smart -- he's building up a bunch of chips that he can cash in at a later date. As Cup time draws near, he should start putting the clamps on (and he will).

When you have a Cup every 4 years, you have to have a very long view of development. Unfortunately Americans (and not just Americans) want quick results.

I also feel like Germany's recent stellar performance was in large part due to Klinsmann's overhaul of the German team, as much as it has been Löw's. I think even the Germans are coming around to thinking along those lines as well.

Well I know my opinion is in the minority, but I think as World Cup draws near, you will start seeing more of our aces playing consistently and the results will follow.

Comment

Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                            I'm still very much on the Klinsmann train. I've explained to friends that Klinsmann not winning the Gold Cup is like Marshall not winning a preseason tournament. It sucks for the sake of losing, but ultimately is pretty irrelevant -- all that matters right now is World Cup performance. So bottom line is, I take a very long view of what Klinsmann is doing, and he's searching for a few diamonds in the rough. He's also quick to allow his aces (like Besler) to play important club games instead of international matches, when the clubs request it. I think that's smart -- he's building up a bunch of chips that he can cash in at a later date. As Cup time draws near, he should start putting the clamps on (and he will).

When you have a Cup every 4 years, you have to have a very long view of development. Unfortunately Americans (and not just Americans) want quick results.

I also feel like Germany's recent stellar performance was in large part due to Klinsmann's overhaul of the German team, as much as it has been Löw's. I think even the Germans are coming around to thinking along those lines as well.

Well I know my opinion is in the minority, but I think as World Cup draws near, you will start seeing more of our aces playing consistently and the results will follow.
                            Those are all fair points. While I disagree with some of them, you do make some compelling arguments.

How about Pulisic getting his first Bundesliga goal today? Excited about this kid. Trying to contain it, but it's not often that a 17 year old is a regular starter for a senior Borussia Dortmund team.
                            "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                              Those are all fair points. While I disagree with some of them, you do make some compelling arguments.

How about Pulisic getting his first Bundesliga goal today? Excited about this kid. Trying to contain it, but it's not often that a 17 year old is a regular starter for a senior Borussia Dortmund team.
                              I hadn't heard about him. I'll have to look him up when I have time.

Comment

Great drama in Leicester this weekend where the home Foxes took advantage of a last second penalty to pull level with West Ham and salvage a point in their remarkable quest for a Premiership title.

It's fun to watch their fans enjoy this run. The home matches are like a lit stick of dynamite.....they are going to explode, you just don't know when.

I believe Leicester was something like 5000-1 to win the Premiership at the start of the season. They escaped relegation last season by finishing 7-1-1 in their last 9 (clearly now a sign of things to come) and even then by only 6 points.

On April 1, 2015 Leicester only had 19 points and their fans were certainly looking forward to matches this season against nearby rivals Derby County and Nottingham Forest as well as trips north to Leeds and the always intriguing visits to John Smith's Stadium (named after the former Shocker I wonder?) to face the Terriers of Huddersfield Town.

Instead, Leicester sits atop the Premiership, 8 points clear of Tottenham with just 4 remaining, they will be in the UEFA Champions League next season, and likely will bring Leicester their 1st top division championship ever.

In the 24 seasons of the Premier League, Leicester has only been involved in 10. And the big boys do not share. Only Blackburn's 94-95 Championship breaks up the big 4 dominance (Liverpool is usually involved but surprisingly, to me at least, has never won the Premiership). Man U, Man City, Chelsea and Arsenal have won the other 23.

Fun times if you like underdogs.

Comment

Working...
                                X