No announcement yet.

Soccer: General Discussion

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Welp, Jurgen is gone. About time. I'm surprised Sunil actually went through with it, but man, thank goodness.

Rumors swirling around that Bruce Arena will be named the next head coach, at least through the 2018 World Cup (assuming we qualify). I'd love to see Bradley, but he's got a great gig at Swansea and probably has too many hurt feelings to want to go back. Some other names to throw around include Caleb Porter, Peter Vermes, and Tab Ramos. Arena may not be the best option, but he's better than what we had and hopefully could guide us through qualifying. It's been stupefying watching teams with higher quality than maybe ever before on a US squad get run off the pitch by Costa Rica and Mexico (even though our matches have been close, we've been horrifically outplayed).

Also, welcome back to the USMNT, Benny Feilhaber!
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• 🙌🙌🙌🙌🙌
      Hopefully this doesn't mean we have to go through a stupid Landon run with the team. I also pray he doesn't follow through with his comments about how only players born in the USA should play on this team. Sounds like he may be an interim head coach through the next cup, which is probably best. They will qualify for the cup, and would have if Jurgen stayed. Also, Sunil should have been fired as well, but that's obviously not happening. I guess we should be happy with what we get.

Comment

• A plane carrying a division one (Serie A) team of professional Brazilian soccer players crashed today and most of them have died. It's horrible tragedy that hits close to home as it sparks memories of WSU's plane crash. Prayers for the families of the lost and the survivors.

Chapecoense goalkeeper Danilo was one of just seven people initially found alive in the mangled remains of the jet which crashed down on its way from Bolivia to Medellin in Colombia.
        Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• US level with Panama 1-1 at half in Panama City. Pulisic with an incredible setup for Dempsey to score the US goal. Unfortunately, some putrid defending leads to the Panama goal. These US games on the road against CONCACAF teams are eerily similar to many of the road Valley games we play; it's an absolute rock fight. Lots of chippy play, questionable officiating. But we really should get 3 points from this one.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
            It could be 2 you know....it could be two!

IT IS!!!!!

Need to take in a Northern Ireland match someday.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
              US level with Panama 1-1 at half in Panama City. Pulisic with an incredible setup for Dempsey to score the US goal. Unfortunately, some putrid defending leads to the Panama goal. These US games on the road against CONCACAF teams are eerily similar to many of the road Valley games we play; it's an absolute rock fight. Lots of chippy play, questionable officiating. But we really should get 3 points from this one.
              You're right of course, but a result on the road, especially with the way the team was in disarray after the departure of JK isn't the worst thing in the world. Lots of injuries, get healthy between now and June and get 3 points against Trinidad & Tobago and then see what happens in Azteca.

7 points after 6 of 10 games isn't ideal, but it's more than doable. Probably going to come down to getting 3 points at home against Panama on October 6 then getting the same result at T&T four days later. 15 points should qualify in the top 3.

Comment

You're right of course, but a result on the road, especially with the way the team was in disarray after the departure of JK isn't the worst thing in the world. Lots of injuries, get healthy between now and June and get 3 points against Trinidad & Tobago and then see what happens in Azteca.

7 points after 6 of 10 games isn't ideal, but it's more than doable. Probably going to come down to getting 3 points at home against Panama on October 6 then getting the same result at T&T four days later. 15 points should qualify in the top 3.
                Yeah, definitely doable for sure. Would have liked 3 points last night, but it's not the end of the world. Gotta make sure we don't falter at home and steal one at T&T; winning at Azteca is more of a pipe dream.

But man, I love watching Christian Pulisic. So creative, so incisive, just a terror.

Comment

• Just make this thread a Pulisic love fest. He is going to go down as the greatest American soccer player of all time, and it won't be close.. sorry, Dempsey

Comment

Wonderful result in Mexico City tonight. I thought the US side held their own for much of the game. The better chances probably belonged to El Tri but we were not overwhelmed at all and Bradley's superior long range goal just a few minutes into the game was enough for a 1-1 tie.

Team looks so much better right now and Christian Pulisic appears to be a star in waiting, if not bursting onto the scene.

Comment

Wonderful result in Mexico City tonight. I thought the US side held their own for much of the game. The better chances probably belonged to El Tri but we were not overwhelmed at all and Bradley's superior long range goal just a few minutes into the game was enough for a 1-1 tie.

Team looks so much better right now and Christian Pulisic appears to be a star in waiting, if not bursting onto the scene.
                      Herrera's strike that hit the crossbar ... *whew*. Bradley's half-volley that hit the post ... *daaang*.

Good game!

Pulisic is a s.t.u.d.

Comment

• Interesting match in Philly tonight. The referee is struggling with the game bigly. Numerous defensive breakdowns for the US. Strong end to the 1st half, a goal that should have been disallowed but El Salvador has shredded our defense at times.

I've been impressed with Gyasi Zardes on the left. His speed has caused issues.

Jozy Altidore was just administered a nurple by the El Salvadoran defender.....after which he flopped, and I'm reminded why soccer hasn't caught on in the USA.

Replay shows Jozy was bit as well. Usually you have to pay extra for that.

Jozy is going to drop this guy if he gets a chance. I'd like to see Jordan Morris subbed in soon...mostly because he'll likely finish a couple of goals. He reminds me of Don Ebert in some ways.
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; July 19, 2017, 09:38 PM.

Comment

Jozy Altidore was just administered a nurple by the El Salvadoran defender.... Replay shows Jozy was bit as well. Usually you have to pay extra for that.
                          His comments after the game were hysterical:

My girl is mad at me. She's mad at me, she's mad at Romero. She's like "Only I can bite u, only I can grab your nipples."

Comment

Jozy Altidore was just administered a nurple by the El Salvadoran defender.....after which he flopped, and I'm reminded why soccer hasn't caught on in the USA.
                            You're exactly right in my case. I started to get into soccer a lot more after the 2014 World Cup. Started following Sporting KC very closely. But I quickly dropped back off to not paying attention because of stuff like this. Egregious flopping, whining at officials at EVERY opportunity. I also think the rules are awful and have led to this whiney, floppy culture. I'll definitely be watching the next World Cup, but that's about it.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPhi View Post
                              You're exactly right in my case. I started to get into soccer a lot more after the 2014 World Cup. Started following Sporting KC very closely. But I quickly dropped back off to not paying attention because of stuff like this. Egregious flopping, whining at officials at EVERY opportunity. I also think the rules are awful and have led to this whiney, floppy culture. I'll definitely be watching the next World Cup, but that's about it.
                              Honestly all the flopping and whining is entirely related to officials. Or more precisely the lack thereof, one field official causes players to complain and over exaggerate everything because it's necessary many times in order for it to be seen. I think a simple change to two field officials would go a long ways.

Comment

Interesting match in Philly tonight. The referee is struggling with the game bigly. Numerous defensive breakdowns for the US. Strong end to the 1st half, a goal that should have been disallowed but El Salvador has shredded our defense at times.
                                Don't know about the match analysis, but watching that game from the 5th floor of Mercy Park didn't suck!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X