Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Soccer: General Discussion

Hey all,

I know we've had a few threads on here discussing various soccer games, but I wanted to get a general one going to see who else on here follows soccer as closely as I do.

DISCLAIMER: Please do not post in this thread to disparage the game of soccer. You may not enjoy it, but some of the rest of us do and I'd like to keep it as civil as possible. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. :encouragement:

Anyways, I didn't play soccer growing up or really follow it much until after the 2010 World Cup. I follow the USMNT, USWNT, Everton (EPL), and Sporting KC (MLS). I follow Wichita FC a little but haven't had much of a chance to watch their games. I'm excited to see the game grow in popularity here in the US, and I imagine it will continue.

The first two US games I remember watching closely were the last two 2009 Confederations Cup games (Our 2-0 defeat of Spain and the heartbreaking 3-2 loss to Brazil). I started really getting interested in it after the 2010 World Cup. I was excited when Klinsmann took over initially, but now I feel (as do many others) that he is limited as a tactician but does a decent job as Technical Director. The Gold Cup this year has definitely made me appreciate Bob Bradley's pragmatism. His choices for the Gold Cup were also baffling (excluding Besler and Feilhaber, taking Alvarado and Morales, continuing to play Chandler). I'm excited about some of the players we have coming through the ranks, most notably some of the players from the U-20 World Cup.

Sporting KC was an obvious choice due to proximity. They're having a really solid season again this year and are doing well in the U.S. Open Cup. Haven't had the chance to attend a game at Sporting Park yet, but I'm dying to go.

I started following Everton after watching a little of the EPL and just going with my gut. Tim Howard is still their starting GK and Landon Donovan spent some time on loan there. I think the additions of Cleverley and Deulofeu will prove to be beneficial, as will not having to constantly prepare and manage for Europa League games in addition to the regular season. Roberto Martinez is a solid manager overall and I think we'll have a solid chance to get back in position to reach the Europa League at the very least this year. I also have a soft spot for Fulham (aka Fulhamerica) since we've had so many players be successful at Craven Cottage (Dempsey, McBride, Keller, and Bocanegra to name a few).

Feel free to join in and add to the discussion. I know there are other SoccerNetters out there (that was lame, I apologize).
    "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

"SoccerNetters" ... was so NOT lame! Nicely done!
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

Huge soccer fan. Play indoor 2-3 times a week.
      My daughter and I drive up to a half dozen or so Sporting KC games a year. She's in love with a couple players on the team so we usually sit in the south stands really close, then talk to the guys after the game.
      Follow FC Wichita very closely. We are close friends with several of the coaches and players. We met them during their time with the last Wichita Wings revival and the B-52s. We've actually had several players live with us during the off season.
      Follow the USMNT, UMWNT, FC Kansas City, and the EPL all very closely as well.

Comment

I'm a little irritated with all the anti-Klinsmann crap. He's a complete stud and he's testing players for the Big Show. He's not bound up in US politics when it comes to choosing players so we should expect to see lots of unexpected moves until he finds the right pieces. You don't walk into Germany and beat them on their turf, even in a friendly. You don't walk into the Netherlands and beat them on their turf, even in a friendly. I'm still buying Klinsmann stock.

Comment

Klinsmann is GREAT as technical director. The guys that he has got to commit to USA like Green and Zelalem have chances to be huge in years to come. Although I haven't been happy with all of his decisions on rosters, his record is similar to Bob Bradley's. I think a guy like Michael Bradley coming to the MLS was incredibly stupid. At the very least, our best players need to be playing in the top leagues. I'm more ok with Dempsey, considering his age. Overall, I think Jurgen deserves to Atleast finish out this cycle. Best case, would be him agreeing to stay as technical director, and hiring a new coach. That won't happen though, it took so long to get him as coach because he wanted complete control. Overall, I like the direction the team is headed.

Comment

Originally posted by RHshoxfan View Post
            Klinsmann is GREAT as technical director. The guys that he has got to commit to USA like Green and Zelalem have chances to be huge in years to come. Although I haven't been happy with all of his decisions on rosters, his record is similar to Bob Bradley's. I think a guy like Michael Bradley coming to the MLS was incredibly stupid. At the very least, our best players need to be playing in the top leagues. I'm more ok with Dempsey, considering his age. Overall, I think Jurgen deserves to Atleast finish out this cycle. Best case, would be him agreeing to stay as technical director, and hiring a new coach. That won't happen though, it took so long to get him as coach because he wanted complete control. Overall, I like the direction the team is headed.
            I mostly agree with this. I think in the years after JK is coach, we will reap the benefits of his work as TD. It's just so tough to tell right now if we're making progress when he as a manager is constantly changing lineups and formations, seems to punish players for any negative comment, and has a spotty history with tactics (see: Philip Lahm remarks about his stint at Bayern).

Comment

At risk of bashing, from my fellow SN soccer fans, I will proudly admit to being a Man United fan!

As the story goes, my father went on a business trip to Manchester when I was young. He brought me back a United kit (no name, sadly) and explained to me how big of a team/club they were. I was hooked, ever since. (I also do enjoy watching and rooting for Arsenal; when they aren't playing United, of course)

I enjoy watching other leagues as well, but mainly only the "bigger" clubs, as the compitition isn't as good as the EPL and it always fun to watch some of the world's best play (Ronaldo, Messi, Robben, Ibra, etc.)

Watching the USMNT play is always enjoyable (as is the USWNT). National level soccer, even when the USA isn't involved (Euro, Copa America, etc.), is always great to watch too. I feel that's when you get to truly see players at their best.

As others have mentioned, I think JK has done a fantastic job in his time with the USMNT. Though not perfect, I do like and enjoy how he gives yonger players a chance to play with the first team. Getting younger players more involved is a great way to keep developing the growth of soccer in our nation.

EPL season is just around the corner! Excited to watch and discuss with you all.
              The Assman

Comment

I have always disliked soccer but ever since my daughter has been playing out at SCSA, I've been able to view players work magic with the ball. So my respect has grown for soccer players, but the game itself is still boring to me.

Comment

All soccer would have to do is get rid of the offsides penalty and not let the goalie catch the ball. Goalie could still use hands, just can't catch the ball.

That would allow some scoring. Offensive drives would have to be well-defended to prevent a score because the ball would tend to stay near the goal until the defense could move it out with soccer skills and footwork, instead of the goalie just catching an attempt on goal.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    All soccer would have to do is get rid of the offsides penalty and not let the goalie catch the ball. Goalie could still use hands, just can't catch the ball.

That would allow some scoring. Offensive drives would have to be well-defended to prevent a score because the ball would tend to stay near the goal until the defense could move it out with soccer skills and footwork, instead of the goalie just catching an attempt on goal.
                    :banghead:

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post

DISCLAIMER: Please do not post in this thread to disparage the game of soccer. You may not enjoy it, but some of the rest of us do and I'd like to keep it as civil as possible. Your cooperation is greatly appreciated. :encouragement:
                      LOL. You are a funny guy.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by SB Shock View Post
                        LOL. You are a funny guy.

Hahaha why did I know my pleading would go unheeded?

Comment

Originally posted by SHURTZtheHERTZ View Post
                          At risk of bashing, from my fellow SN soccer fans, I will proudly admit to being a Man United fan!

As the story goes, my father went on a business trip to Manchester when I was young. He brought me back a United kit (no name, sadly) and explained to me how big of a team/club they were. I was hooked, ever since. (I also do enjoy watching and rooting for Arsenal; when they aren't playing United, of course)

I enjoy watching other leagues as well, but mainly only the "bigger" clubs, as the compitition isn't as good as the EPL and it always fun to watch some of the world's best play (Ronaldo, Messi, Robben, Ibra, etc.)

Watching the USMNT play is always enjoyable (as is the USWNT). National level soccer, even when the USA isn't involved (Euro, Copa America, etc.), is always great to watch too. I feel that's when you get to truly see players at their best.

As others have mentioned, I think JK has done a fantastic job in his time with the USMNT. Though not perfect, I do like and enjoy how he gives yonger players a chance to play with the first team. Getting younger players more involved is a great way to keep developing the growth of soccer in our nation.

EPL season is just around the corner! Excited to watch and discuss with you all.
                          A Man United fan who also cheers for Arsenal? You don't need a scolding, you need an exorcism. :beguiled:

Either way, glad to have some SNers to talk about soccer with. I know there are a few who have not responded who are also soccer fans as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Kel Varnsen View Post
                            A Man United fan who also cheers for Arsenal? You don't need a scolding, you need an exorcism. :beguiled:

Either way, glad to have some SNers to talk about soccer with. I know there are a few who have not responded who are also soccer fans as well.
                            Well, maybe "rooting" is too strong! I do enjoy the way the play (they share fun to watch).

My father is a Gooner as well. I guess I like to see his team do well; if it doesn't effect the fate of mine of course!

Chelsea, my brothers favorite club; now that's a different story!!
                            The Assman

Comment

Barcelona. Messi. You can stop right there. Because, really, [anybody] with Messi is game over in my book.

But add Neymar and Suarez and that team is so stacked it should be illegal.

Comment

Working...
                              X