No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't think Sweden will see a significant uptick in hospitalizations or deaths prior to Dec. 15th.
    Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
      Please tell me Cold what is a significant percentage? You don't need to post long winded articles, just a percentage.
      "Long-winded" = data filled, cogently laid out = resistance is futile

I agree.

Significant is relative obviously. Covid-19 has a mortality rate of .6%. That's 6 out of every 1000 people. Doesn't sound significant right? It's loads of fun to bandy about the forum screeching .6%!!! .6%!!! But if you take that "insignificant" number and multiply it across the entire population of our country, you get almost 2 million people. This is dead. Doesn't seem insignificant now does it?

By my count we are a touch over 560,000 Covid hospitalizations. Subtracting the Covid deaths from the hospitalizations and then dividing the remainder by the deaths gives us a factor of 1.8. So for every Covid death there are 1.8 individuals that skated out of the hospital with their arse partially still intact. The majority of these individuals will have a long recovery with some long-term or possibly permanent side effects.

So by my estimation roughly 1.62% of Covid infectee's will either die or have a nice souvenir to cherish for their troubles. That's 5,346,000 U.S. citizens affected (some severely) if this virus penetrates the entire country.

**EDIT** There are thousands of documented "long-haulers" who were never admitted to a hospital so my numbers are wrong. They're higher.

And you may be thinking to yourself: why multiply by the entire population? Won't the virus just disappear after we hit the magical number 70% for herd immunity? Not necessarily. Most scientists believe we'll have this virus forever. So over the years it's likely to come in contact with every single living person at one point or another. Many colds are coronaviruses and they haven't gone away. Why should this? So one day we will all likely have to face the insidious Covid-19. But perhaps they will get a super sharp vaccine and practically eradicate it. That would be great but it will have to be around 90% efficacy which is polio level.

Comment

• You are wrong. The data is not backing up your analysis. There have been many posts on here showing that. There is no rationalizing with you differently. I will not bother with it again. I will continue to point out you are wrong but not get into a debate with insanity.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
          You are wrong. The data is not backing up your analysis. There have been many posts on here showing that. There is no rationalizing with you differently. I will not bother with it again. I will continue to point out you are wrong but not get into a debate with insanity.
          If it's okay with you, I'll take your response as a ceremonial waving of the white flag.

Good day to you sir!

NEXT!!!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
            I don't think Sweden will see a significant uptick in hospitalizations or deaths prior to Dec. 15th.
            Oh what a fascinating anomaly that would be! I do hope it happens as I will enjoy the conclusions that come out of it.

Regadless though it would go down in history as little more than a lucky roll of the dice. Hindsight holds all kinds of answers.

If Covid-19 1/2 comes along masks will be deployed (from the start) and social distancing will be enforced to protect hospitalization resources until a vaccine can be produced. Hopefully in the future they do a better job of identify risks in the field and have vaccines on standby before they make the jump to human populations. That's the future.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              Regadless though it would go down in history as little more than a lucky roll of the dice. Hindsight holds all kinds of answers.
              It's okay for you to be wrong, it doesn't get in my crawl like it does others.

Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
              If Covid-19 1/2 comes along masks will be deployed (from the start) and social distancing will be enforced to protect hospitalization resources until a vaccine can be produced.
              You are correct. All the economically unsustainable regulation that actually drag out and cause MORE damage than letting nature run it's course will be in overdrive.

The lesson being taught and pushed by the left is that "we didn't lock down enough" -- even though all the evidence is pointing to exactly opposite of that.

The good news for you though is that all the people that didn't wear masks from day one have died or have long term chronic disease -- so you don't need to worry about them any more.

Comment

It's okay for you to be wrong, it doesn't get in my crawl like it does others.

You are correct. All the economically unsustainable regulation that actually drag out and cause MORE damage than letting nature run it's course will be in overdrive.

The lesson being taught and pushed by the left is that "we didn't lock down enough" -- even though all the evidence is pointing to exactly opposite of that.

The good news for you though is that all the people that didn't wear masks from day one have died or have long term chronic disease -- so you don't need to worry about them any more.
                Me wrong? Try me and the entire world population of infectious disease scientists. That's only 3,000 years of combined experience!

Sweden didn't just rewrite the laws of biology my friend.

And guess what????????

STOCKHOLM (Reuters) - Sweden is seeing a spike in demand for face masks, several drug stores said, ahead of a possible U-turn by the authorities, who have so far doubted their effectiveness in fighting the spread of the new coronavirus.
                I guess maybe they're feelin' a little lucky too.

Comment

The Left! The Left! The Left! The Left!

Science = The Left!

And no the evidence is not pointing in the exact opposite direction. Every country/city that aggressively masked, distanced, and contact traced are enjoying a version of normalcy at this very moment. Free America is running around like chickens with their heads cut off as infections continue to skyrocket.

And the entire world is laughing at us.

Comment

And no the evidence is not pointing in the exact opposite direction. Every country/city that aggressively masked, distanced, and contact traced are enjoying a version of normalcy at this very moment. Free America is running around like chickens with their heads cut off as infections continue to skyrocket.
                    See? It doesn't bother me at all when you're wrong.

Comment

Science = The Left!

The post modern Theorists don’t believe in science. They believe in personal narrative, just like you. They believe that every discussion is a struggle for power, just like you. They deny reality, and believe that the sheer act of questioning some assholes feelings is an act of aggression.

You are disconnected from reality and sailing in a rudderless boat. An NPC in a sea of NPCs struggling to find meaning in the world that has rejected you. Hopefully you will find land and become grounded.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

The post modern Theorists don’t believe in science. They believe in personal narrative, just like you. They believe that every discussion is a struggle for power, just like you. They deny reality, and believe that the sheer act of questioning some assholes feelings is an act of aggression.

You are disconnected from reality and sailing in a rudderless boat. An NPC in a sea of NPCs struggling to find meaning in the world that has rejected you. Hopefully you will find land and become grounded.
                        Why are you trolling in the Covid news forum? Stick to the discussion please.

P.S. You would need 3 lifetimes to score a "smack" point on me brother. Move down a weight class.

Comment

• I played golf today and it was awesome. I played really great and had a vodka soda afterwards. Carry on...

Comment

Why are you trolling in the Covid news forum? Stick to the discussion please.

P.S. You would need 3 lifetimes to score a "smack" point on me brother. Move down a weight class.
                            There you go again, talking about smack points in what is supposed to be a discussion. Everything is about power in discourse for you postmodernists. We can stop having power struggles when you recognize objective reality.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

Science = The Left!

Hawaii did all of the things you stated and they are still under lockdown. The idea you're pushing of normalcy isn't happening yet and it's been months.
                              Shocker fan for life after witnessing my first game in person, the 80-74 win over the #12 Creighton Bluejays at the Kansas Coliseum.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ta Town Shocker View Post

Hawaii did all of the things you stated and they are still under lockdown. The idea you're pushing of normalcy isn't happening yet and it's been months.
                                I haven't really followed Hawaii that much but if my memory serves, I remember them conducting some fairly severe restrictions.

There are lessons to learn from the Spanish Flu a century ago and from other countries handling COVID-19 right now.

Couples who are around each other in their homes anyway? Too risky! Kids cooped up on computers all day for school? Too bad! And if you want to go on a hike, you must ignore the most common-sense rule of being in nature and go it alone – for safety’s sake.
                                I'm not for this kind of ****. I've maintained the same opinion from day one: EVERYBODY wears a mask indoors around strangers; restaurants, bars, churches, etc. - outdoor only. I could be convinced of indoor church services if they were in large gymnasiums and the square footage per person was ridiculously generous. Work from home when feasible and fresh air, desk distancing, and masking for workers that must be at an office/factory location.

Essentially strangers need to be breathing their own source of fresh air until the vaccine is available.

Had the vaccine not been expected for years then I'd say open 'er up and let 'em herd - say goodbye to gram grams and watch Americans drop like flies and suffer into the foreseeable future. Folks really don't know how lucky we are to have made such progress with vaccines.

This has been my opinion from day one. It's all a risk/reward scenario.

If you'd like a list (a mile long) of countries and cities that enacted swiftly and early and now reap the rewards of relative normalcy I'd be glad to provide it. I've posted it in previous pages.

Comment

Working...
                                X