Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If you read the headlines they did it all wrong. I don't understand the purpose of the bias. The bias is easy to see, and there is clearly a narrative out there that we should lock down and that our government is somehow to blame for a disease. But I don't understand why. I haven't watched a minute of cable news in years (since the last election), so I guess I am just not tuned in. Is this an anti-Trump thing? Is it a left-wing power grab? Is this all just an election thing?

Sweden's big problem -- if one appears -- won't be Sweden. If there is another flare up in Europe, Sweden's problem will be that other countries keep trying to flatten the curve, which will jack with herd immunity if reinfections is a thing.

This is the daily number of ICU beds in use in Sweden ...

It's simple. The left wants to make Trump look as bad as possible and blame him as their only hope to "win" the election. They are using the pandemic as a weapon. Shameful.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

It's simple. The left wants to make Trump look as bad as possible and blame him as their only hope to "win" the election. They are using the pandemic as a weapon. Shameful.
      I shouldn't have brought up politics in this thread. I might move my own post. But the almost defensive attitude out there in the media about how Sweden is doing just doesn't fit the reality of what is happening, and could end up costing a lot of lives.

That's my non-political point:

We need to be considering that herd immunity might be the quickest and perhaps ONLY way to stop this disease, because if reinfections are a thing then we are guaranteed to be killing and maiming far MORE people in the long run by trying to flatten the curve. Reinfections will cause this thing to turn into a feedback loop where it just cycles up and down and up and down and up and down ad infinitum until we realize that nature's built in protection -- herd immunity -- is allowed to do it's thing.

Even if reinfections aren't a thing, flattening the curve may end up killing and maiming more people in the long run than taking your hits up front. It is too early to tell, but if it ends up being true, it's going to be very difficult to deprogram a lot of people into behaving in a manner that ACTUALLY saves lives, and doesn't just "feel" right.
      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• It’s weird that Sweden did it wrong and NYC did it EXACTLY right. Both were hard hit early with nursing home deaths. Both are doing much better now.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

If you read the headlines they did it all wrong. I don't understand the purpose of the bias. The bias is easy to see, and there is clearly a narrative out there that we should lock down and that our government is somehow to blame for a disease. But I don't understand why. I haven't watched a minute of cable news in years (since the last election), so I guess I am just not tuned in. Is this an anti-Trump thing? Is it a left-wing power grab? Is this all just an election thing?

Sweden's big problem -- if one appears -- won't be Sweden. If there is another flare up in Europe, Sweden's problem will be that other countries keep trying to flatten the curve, which will jack with herd immunity if reinfections is a thing.

This is the daily number of ICU beds in use in Sweden ...

Sweden is/was top 5 in deaths per capita so they aren't the ideal model. Serology testing has shown that only 7% of their population have been infected. However, there are protective T-cells being identified in people who were never infected with Covid-19 perhaps from prior coronavirus infections which may lead to some measure of protection. They are also talking about "immunological dark matter" which loosely translated means IDon'tKnowWTFIsGoingOn so...... DARK MATTER!

There were many articles months ago discussing Sweden's innate pandemic advantage due to their anti-social behaviors. They are a naturally socially distanced people. America is not like Sweden at all.

Eventually we will all get "infected" per se via the vaccine. Or at least our body will think we were. There is great news out from Oxford today about a vaccine that is giving a strong antibody and T-cell response in test subjects. In one group it was 100% "effective".

****! I'M BACK ALREADY!

So much secret, super knowledge to share.

OCD

Wish I could just agree that it's all political.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            It’s weird that Sweden did it wrong and NYC did it EXACTLY right. Both were hard hit early with nursing home deaths. Both are doing much better now.
            Nursing home deaths. 40%

P.S. NYC death rate per million is 3x worse than Sweden's.

Do you think it's plausible if NYC adopted Sweden's strategy that their 3x worse death rate would revert to Sweden's? Gotta be another reason right?
            Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; July 20, 2020, 12:30 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Nursing home deaths. 40%
              Which is skewing the meaningful data to look worse than it actually is. And it is closer to 50-60% in some places.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Which is skewing the meaningful data to look worse than it actually is. And it is closer to 50-60% in some places.
                People in nursing homes are meaningful. A lot of parents and spouses are in nursing homes.

Leviticus 19:32

Teasing. Relax.

Comment

People in nursing homes are meaningful. A lot of parents and spouses are in nursing homes.

Leviticus 19:32

Teasing. Relax.
                  I already told him if he was my kid, he wouldn't be welcome at my house until all this is over. I hope he still has the blessing of having his parents around, but if they are and he is close, he ought to be a little more respectful. It would be a shame if he got them sick or, God forbid, killed them.

Comment

• We don't have the hospital capacity to rely on inducing herd immunity which is at least 70% according to CDC. That would make our fatality rate way bad even among the healthcare workers from not being able to even provide basic care. I doubt we could even manage basic care for those with no morbitity factors. I had a chiropractor appt today in Wichita... They were not even social distancing let alone wearing masks.

Comment

• Originally posted by Windiwu View Post
                      We don't have the hospital capacity to rely on inducing herd immunity which is at least 70% according to CDC. That would make our fatality rate way bad even among the healthcare workers from not being able to even provide basic care. I doubt we could even manage basic care for those with no morbitity factors. I had a chiropractor appt today in Wichita... They were not even social distancing let alone wearing masks.
                      That sounds pretty careless. I went for a physical earlier this month, and my experience was totally different here (but our hospitals and emergency rooms were at 90% even then). I have to do my Suparz treatments in about a month and I would refuse to go back if they aren't taking some precautions.

But back to your chiropractor, I would hope they had good liability insurance. I don't think it would be difficult to pin the tail on that donkey.

For instance, first I read an article that said the contact tracers had determined that 1) Car dealerships, 2) Gyms and 3) Bars were causing the most problems, then I heard that a certain car dealership would be closed for deep cleaning. Now they are running ads touting how clean they are.

I'm not in the know, but I do believe in cause and effect. The cause and effect in that one is pretty obvious.

This is probably why the R's want to shield business from liability due to the pandemic. As for me, if you are in medicine and acting that carelessly, that is a huge breach of what a 'reasonable person' would do.

Comment

We don't have the hospital capacity to rely on inducing herd immunity which is at least 70% according to CDC. That would make our fatality rate way bad even among the healthcare workers from not being able to even provide basic care. I doubt we could even manage basic care for those with no morbitity factors. I had a chiropractor appt today in Wichita... They were not even social distancing let alone wearing masks.
                        Let 'em have it Windi! Although a lot of chiropractors believe in some wacky ideas. I have little doubt that there are chiros out there today that say a back adjustment will help build your immunity to Covid.

When I went to the dentist the second time, they were all wearing two masks (including a face shield!!). They also have plastic walls up at the reception desk. The hygienist said they are told to change our their gowns and masks each time they leave the office (lunch, etc.). Very strict. I felt quite at ease. The first appt. was at a different location and that's where the young gal was walking up to me with the mask around her neck.

Comment

We don't have the hospital capacity to rely on inducing herd immunity which is at least 70% according to CDC.
                          Yeeeaah, about that 70% number often floated around ....

Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Something interesting I haven't shared on Flu vs Covid. With Flu the deaths are estimated, with Covid they are counted. During April there were 15,000 counted Covid cases per week. The peak counted Flu cases per week are normally around 750. One doctor estimated that actual Covid vs. Flu deaths were 10-44x.

**Update from a local Wichita ER**

Just received a screenshot from a friend off the ER manifest. There are 17 Covid cases in her ER right now. There are 3 screens of patients but she only sent me page 1. Here are the age breakdowns from that page: 6 yrs, 50 yrs, 34 yrs, 47 yrs, 41 yrs, 25 yrs, 70 yrs, 50 yrs, 90 yrs, 31 yrs.

Remember, what I've said before. A MINOR case of Covid-19 is defined as not being admitted to the hospital. You can absolutely be the sickest of your entire life with frequent trips to the ER and be classified statistically as "minor". Lots of people who've had a bad minor case have went on to say that they now understand why people die from this insidious disease. It's no fun if it really grabs you by the arse. You definitely wanna be young, that's for sure.

Comment

• I feel like I’m watching a CNN news segment in this thread.
                              Deuces Valley.
                              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Something interesting I haven't shared on Flu vs Covid. With Flu the deaths are estimated, with Covid they are counted. During April there were 15,000 counted Covid cases per week. The peak counted Flu cases per week are normally around 750. One doctor estimated that actual Covid vs. Flu deaths were 10-44x.

**Update from a local Wichita ER**

Just received a screenshot from a friend off the ER manifest. There are 17 Covid cases in her ER right now. There are 3 screens of patients but she only sent me page 1. Here are the age breakdowns from that page: 6 yrs, 50 yrs, 34 yrs, 47 yrs, 41 yrs, 25 yrs, 70 yrs, 50 yrs, 90 yrs, 31 yrs.

Remember, what I've said before. A MINOR case of Covid-19 is defined as not being admitted to the hospital. You can absolutely be the sickest of your entire life with frequent trips to the ER and be classified statistically as "minor". Lots of people who've had a bad minor case have went on to say that they now understand why people die from this insidious disease. It's no fun if it really grabs you by the arse. You definitely wanna be young, that's for sure.
                                Why in the world is your friend busy sending you manifest screenshots while working? That’s a scary thought.

Can we get a pic of that screenshot with personal info MS-painted out?
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X