Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
    Do you have any articles that says he’s threatening to end social distancing or occupancy maximums? I read two and the both said he wanted to prohibit city ordinances that were beyond Texas state law, specifically:

requirement to wear a mask everywhere in public

Must stay home except for essential activity

forced closure of non-essential businesses
    and the first one I definitely have a problem with. #2 pretty much allows social gatherings. #3 opens bars, for example.

So if you believe that decisions should be left to local officials one time (when you don't like the president, for example) and then believe at a later time that you don't think local officials make good decisions, absent a religious conversion, I would guess you are practicing situational ethics.

I trust my local elected (and unindicted) officials over him. According to what I've read,
    1) This disease is more contagious than the measels
    2) People can spread the disease without showing any symptoms.

So how does opening social businesses, allowing people to congregate and making masks optional control the spread of this? It doesn't.

Note I would not have a problem with this if we can at least come up with some treatments to drop the mortality rate down to an acceptable level (3% or less for me). We are not there yet.

I'm viewing this more as a publicity stunt to cater to the political extreme, as it serves no useful purpose EXCEPT to cater to a potential constituency when he stands for reelection.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

and the first one I definitely have a problem with. #2 pretty much allows social gatherings. #3 opens bars, for example.

So if you believe that decisions should be left to local officials one time (when you don't like the president, for example) and then believe at a later time that you don't think local officials make good decisions, absent a religious conversion, I would guess you are practicing situational ethics.

I trust my local elected (and unindicted) officials over him. According to what I've read,
      1) This disease is more contagious than the measels
      2) People can spread the disease without showing any symptoms.

So how does opening social businesses, allowing people to congregate and making masks optional control the spread of this? It doesn't.

Note I would not have a problem with this if we can at least come up with some treatments to drop the mortality rate down to an acceptable level (3% or less for me). We are not there yet.

I'm viewing this more as a publicity stunt to cater to the political extreme, as it serves no useful purpose EXCEPT to cater to a potential constituency when he stands for reelection.
      I haven’t taken an ethical stance on this. I was only asking for clarification since he hasn’t said anything against social distancing.

The mortality rate is actually less than 1%.

How is it a political extreme to allow for opening of businesses WITH regulation and restrictions?
      Livin the dream

Comment

Technically we don’t know the true mortality rate. It’s possible it is below 1% but, as far as I’ve seen, we won’t know the true number for quite some time if ever. The mortality rate can vary wildly based on a number of factors.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post

I think you're missing the re-air of Wrestlemania III currently on Fox. This is an awesome byproduct of the pandemic.
          Whaaaat? I missed this?!?
          Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Whaaaat? I missed this?!?
            I guess you missed it, then. I was channel flipping and wasn't compelled to watched the Johnsonville Cornhole being broadcast on ESPN 2. When suddenly I saw Wrestlemania III being aired nationally on Fox. Not FS1, FS2, FSKC, but Fox. I was glued! My wife shook her head, but knew better than to protest and just left the living room. Junk Yard Dog, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Adrian Adonis, George the Animal Steel, Hacksaw Jim Duggin, Macho Man and Elizabeth, the list goes on!

EPIC!
            There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• You do not have permission to view this gallery.
              This gallery has 1 photos.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

I guess you missed it, then. I was channel flipping and wasn't compelled to watched the Johnsonville Cornhole being broadcast on ESPN 2. When suddenly I saw Wrestlemania III being aired nationally on Fox. Not FS1, FS2, FSKC, but Fox. I was glued! My wife shook her head, but knew better than to protest and just left the living room. Junk Yard Dog, Ricky the Dragon Steamboat, Rowdy Roddy Piper, Adrian Adonis, George the Animal Steel, Hacksaw Jim Duggin, Macho Man and Elizabeth, the list goes on!

EPIC!
                Dang, I miss me a good sleeper hold.
                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

Technically we don’t know the true mortality rate. It’s possible it is below 1% but, as far as I’ve seen, we won’t know the true number for quite some time if ever. The mortality rate can vary wildly based on a number of factors.
                  If this is the case you are making, then @revenge_of_shocka_khan will never be able to return to work because we will never know if it is below 3%.

Perhaps we should use the best numbers available?

The actual death toll for COVID-19 won’t be calculable for some time, but there are early indications that it may be significantly lower than calculations of deaths per confirmed cases lead one to believe.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

If this is the case you are making, then @revenge_of_shocka_khan will never be able to return to work because we will never know if it is below 3%.

Perhaps we should use the best numbers available?

https://www.biospace.com/article/mul...han-expected-/
                    I only wanted to clarify the use of the word actually. I have no problem taking estimates into consideration.

Comment

EPIC!
                      I miss me some Handsome Harley Race, Bulldog Bob Brown, Rufus R. Jones, Andre the Giant, The Big Show (of course he's a former Shocker), Chief Jay Strongbow, Johnny Little Bear, Ric Flair, The Sheik, Pedro Mascaras and Superstar Billy Graham... I'm telling ya', those were the days my friends. I sat on the front row one time at Century II and caught Bulldog Bob Brown slip in a 'bloody' ketchup packet. I thought he had killed Handsome Harley Race with a folding chair. I was taking it all in until seeing the ketchup packet. Things that make you say hmmm?

My favorite wrestling move was the "Pow-Driver" made popular in the early 70's, 'butt' todays entertainment is different...

Back to the original topic; 'spreading' the Coronavirus...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• downloadfile.jpg

Comment

I think you're missing the re-air of Wrestlemania III currently on Fox. This is an awesome byproduct of the pandemic.
                          I cannot emphasize how spectacular this rebroadcast was last night. Alice Cooper, Hacksaw Jim Dugan, former referee Danny Davis, the British Bulldogs, Honky Tonk Man.....the event breathed new life into my body. So incredibly spectacular.

Comment

• What do you think George The Animal Steele pays for a decent manscaping? That's GOT to be a 4 figure outlay, at a minimum.

Comment

I haven’t taken an ethical stance on this. I was only asking for clarification since he hasn’t said anything against social distancing.

How is it a political extreme to allow for opening of businesses WITH regulation and restrictions?
                              If you did not read his letter (and I did not) I don't think you or I have direct knowledge as to what the letter contained.

Secondly, I'm not so sure the mortality rate is less than 1%.

The letter was sent to county and city officials in Harris, Travis and Bexar counties, and I'm betting no one (outside the county attornies and their legal staff will read it). Therefore I can only rely on what my local health officials say, which is that they were not too pleased and their contention is that this is all noise and they comply with (and have complied with) our Governor's orders. This is not related, but I'm (as a taxpayer) having to pay for several hundred inmates in our county jail who have had sentences pronounced and yet the state (evidently) does not feel it is safe enough to take them. Some of them have been sitting for about two months. Seems like the state is trying to have their cake (force the county to house inmates because they don't want to pay and don't think they can keep safe) and eat it too (by dictating to counties and municipalities what they can/can't do with their orders, resulting in more infections).

FWIW, I do not have a problem with opening of businesses, however, our AG seems to think he knows more about this than our local public health officials. I think he is a crook who would do anything for a dollar. And the fact that he's currently under indictment only strengthens my belief.

Not only that, one of our largest employers has had their employees back in the office for the last three weeks. Not knowing any more about what controls they are administrating (I would say at least daily temperature checks for all employees, screening with questions in association with that, frequent disinfections of office areas, reconfiguring the environment to enforce social distancing and limited contact tracing as well as testing) I would say that was extreme. Note this company is a national brand and you would immediately recognize who they are.

Businesses are in business to make money. If they can accomodate employees and make money,those goals can peacefully coexist. If it gets too expensive (i.e. controls cost money) accomodating employees will be thrown out the window. Note there have been documented reinfections in some of the meat-packing plants that were already forced to close once due to infections. Why is that? My guess that these corporations have done their calculations and believe that the cost of sanitation and strict monitoring is too expensive, therefore, the employees are not being properly protected.

And lastly, if the state removes all restrictions, how do local officials regulate?

At this point, I would like to take the opportunity to go on the record and say when my employer tells me its safe to go back, I will go back. I have confidence that our management will at least try to do the right thing.
                              Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; May 13, 2020, 12:27 PM.

Comment

• Interesting the way the moderation of this particular thread has changed. Once upon a time, posts that were actually on topic of Covid but deemed too political were quickly removed.

Comment

Working...
                                X