No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Three straight days of declining cases in the US.

Comment

• Just curious if the country shut down during this pandemic. Did the entire country go under?
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
        https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

Just curious if the country shut down during this pandemic. Did the entire country go under?
        They of course did not. Maybe they should have? Probably not.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
          With no increase in the number of tests given, both the case count and the positive percentage in Sedgwick County go up.

https://www.kansas.com/news/coronavi...244026982.html
          The lack of "increase" in testing is troublesome. If you are testing enough then your test % will be around 1%. If you are above that %, it is screaming you need to more testing. The politicians of this county are all for symbolic measures, but are not actually willing to allocate resources (money for testing and personnel resources for contact tracing) to stop covid in it tracks.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            https://www.cdc.gov/flu/pandemic-res...-pandemic.html

Just curious if the country shut down during this pandemic. Did the entire country go under?
            That is a good point. We are being fed numbers that we have no context for, and because we have no context therefore media narrative is "the sky is falling" (maybe or maybe not).

Comment

With no increase in the number of tests given, ...
              You sure about that?
              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

We're being told to keep politics out of this thread, but politics have been injected into this discussion at the national level. This discussion is virtually impossible without political overtones. Supporting one position is automatically seen as opposing a different position. That's not the way to discuss a public health issue.

I believe we all want to see schools open in fall. We want to see college and NFL football in the fall. We all want to see businesses go back to full capacity and bring back all their employees.

Maybe I'm naive, uninformed, or biased by mainstream media, but I believe the best way to achieve those common goals is to reduce the spread of the virus.

The CDC and the top epidemiologists say that the best way to slow the spread of the virus is:
                1) Wear a mask|
                2) Avoid large gatherings of indoor groups
                3) Regular hand washing
                4) Social distancing

The best way to achieve the common goals of everybody is to slow the spread of the virus.

There seems to be a viewpoint based on the Constitutional right to not have to follow those guidelines. I'm not going to get into that argument, but the scientific and medical communities all say that if you don't follow those guidelines, we will not get rid of this virus.

The counter to the CDC guidelines seems to be "Ignore it - it will go away". That does not seem to be a successful strategy.

I don't care how much you want to stand up for your Constitutional rights, wear the ******* masks. Even if it's just to show that you support the best way to get the economy, the schools, and sports back to as close to normal as they can get this year. Even if you know that wearing a mask doesn't matter. Show others that you support maintaining and controlling the virus, and that you believe in the science of how to control the virus.

I don't believe that your Constitutional right to not be concerned about the spread of a potentially fatal virus is greater than my Constitutional right (that life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness thing that's actually in there) Constitutional right to leave my house without the threat of a potentially fatal infection when the country is experiencing an epidemic.

You want the schools open? Tiy want a football season? You want a basketball season? Then do everything you can to slow the spread of this virus.
                well said

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

The lack of "increase" in testing is troublesome. If you are testing enough then your test % will be around 1%. If you are above that %, it is screaming you need to more testing. The politicians of this county are all for symbolic measures, but are not actually willing to allocate resources (money for testing and personnel resources for contact tracing) to stop covid in it tracks.
                  it’s obvious that many of our local politicians are not only terrible “leaders” but also clueless in the most basic elements of human health.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Well, my "maths" as you put it are straight from the CDC so I guess you have an issue with their numbers.

As for the second part of your comment, I don't even know where to start with that garbage. First of all, you know what they say about those who have to brag about their physique and prowess right? I'll leave it at that.

The point of my post is that we are never going to save everyone or prevent everyone from getting the virus. That is not selfish thinking that is logical and reasonable thinking. Heck, the majority of people over 64 will be fine also. It results in death in a very minimal percentage of the population. I don't know why that is so hard for some to comprehend. The goal is to slow the spread (wearing masks, social distancing, etc) and to protect the majority of people. These things are being done. Let go of the CNN, MSNBC, and NPR bias and think about it critically and logically.
                    Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    Deaths have been going down since April.

Overall hospitalizations have been going down since April.

Only 2.6% of the deaths have been people under 44 years of age.

Only 19% of the deaths have been people under 64 years of age.

These statistics cover 274,736,241 people, or ~84% of the US population.
                    The underlined maths are misleading.

You state those metrics are decreasing but conveniently skip over the why and the where. The East Coast was hit very hard early and have since implemented strict social distancing and masking measures. "Their" numbers are decreasing. But it is absolutely clear that the more "scientifically liberal" states, in this case the major Red ones in the middle of the country, are going in the exact opposite direction with respect to hospitalizations and deaths. Eventually their outbreaks will overcome the declining curves in the eastern states and we will be looking at Corona version 1.2.

Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
                    As for the second part of your comment, I don't even know where to start with that garbage. First of all, you know what they say about those who have to brag about their physique and prowess right? I'll leave it at that.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                      It is NOT about "stopping the spread". It's about slowing it down to something the hospitals can handle.
                      That was the original and most important goal. It's humbling how we find ourselves back at square one only in a different geographic region - all our hard work and sacrifice during April and May up in smoke.

Originally we were looking at the risk of a cascade failure across our entire healthcare system. With the then-current Covid mortality rate at 3%, we saw projected deaths as high as 7 million. This was a worst case scenario. Even Trump touted the slightly less catastrophic prediction of "a couple million".

The overall goal is to not have the healthcare system crash, but that shouldn't be the only goal. Allowing our death rate to creep back up to a couple thousand a day and ending up with 700k dead as we involuntarily march towards herd immunity (if that is even possible with this virus), would be an untenable position for most people I would think, even if it were spread out over a year. Remember, all these dead are somebody's loved ones, (hopefully not yours).

The economy would be in shambles, morale would drop, depression and substance abuse would skyrocket, families would destabilize, careers would be ruined, etc.

The key is finding the happy medium between "getting on with life" while slowing/stopping the spread. It starts with you and me.

T

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

That was the original and most important goal. It's humbling how we find ourselves back at square one only in a different geographic region - all our hard work and sacrifice during April and May up in smoke.

Originally we were looking at the risk of a cascade failure across our entire healthcare system. With the then-current Covid mortality rate at 3%, we saw projected deaths as high as 7 million. This was a worst case scenario. Even Trump touted the slightly less catastrophic prediction of "a couple million".

The overall goal is to not have the healthcare system crash, but that shouldn't be the only goal. Allowing our death rate to creep back up to a couple thousand a day and ending up with 700k dead as we involuntarily march towards herd immunity (if that is even possible with this virus), would be an untenable position for most people I would think, even if it were spread out over a year. Remember, all these dead are somebody's loved ones, (hopefully not yours).

The economy would be in shambles, morale would drop, depression and substance abuse would skyrocket, families would destabilize, careers would be ruined, etc.

The key is finding the happy medium between "getting on with life" while slowing/stopping the spread. It starts with you and me.

T

Man, you really are drinking the CNN "Lemon"ade and Cuomo Koolaid. Never thought someone who has puffed their chest so much and told everyone how great they are would be so susceptible to the propaganda. Kind of feel sorry for you honestly.

Comment

Not a big breakout guy but the fundamentals support this trade. I'd go long deaths on Fla and Az Monday. It'll be a nice 30-60 day swing.

Start building a position on Cal and Tx too. Buy any low days.

T

T

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Man, you really are drinking the CNN "Lemon"ade and Cuomo Koolaid. Never thought someone who has puffed their chest so much and told everyone how great they are would be so susceptible to the propaganda. Kind of feel sorry for you honestly.
                            I'm going to take your ad hominem attack as a waving of the proverbial white flag on our debate. Is that okay with you?

Gotta run!

T

Comment

T

I’m not going to dispute that the deaths are slightly up on your graph, but the best fit line is REALLY off. Not sure who stuck that thing on there with MS Paint.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

I'm going to take your ad hominem attack as a waving of the proverbial white flag on our debate. Is that okay with you?

Gotta run!

T

So from those graphs it looks like deaths in Florida are down since April and deaths in Texas are stable. You conveniently left out Georgia (one of the first states to open and still experiencing declining death rates. Not sure what deep "red" states you are talking about that are going to cause this huge death increase and I guaranty you it won't be anywhere near the fiasco that was NY. Come on Cold, you know better bro.

Comment

Working...
                                X