Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
    Some interesting thoughts from Laurie Garrett. I'll link her credentials later.

The most interesting is that her current research indicates that 100% of current acute cases are in people with high blood pressure. She's proposing that simple blood pressure test could identify susceptible people and handle them differently than the rest of the population.

The other was that she's predicting that we will be dealing with this for 36 months unless an effective vaccine that can be distributed worldwide is developed before then.

Here's her credentials. Starts with Harvard education with an emphasis on Public Health

https://www.lauriegarrett.com/about
    I can post something refuting everything you just said by a similar or even more accredited expert.

36 months? Ok.
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• I've already stated it once a while back, but I'll state it again, the treatment that works for covid is Hyperbaric oxygen. The medical community is aware. If adopted as a mainstream treatment for serious patients, survival rates would skyrocket. HBO has been used in China, New York and Louisiana, but only limited. That said, everyone that was suffering from respiratory distress, but not yet intubated got better. And within days. HBO fixes organ hypoxia allowing the body to fight the virus.

That said, we aren't moving in that direction quickly at all and the reasons are both frustrating and disappointing.

There aren't enough HBO chambers in America to treat patients with serious symptoms. There are over a dozen chambers in Omaha, but only four are set up to handle critical care patients. Those are at UNMC (Nebraska Medicine). There are several chambers in Wichita, but only two are set up for critical care treatment. Those are at Wesley. All the rest are at wound treatment centers and the staff isn't trained, nor do they have the infrastructure to handle covid pts. So reason #1 is lack of capacity. Adding chambers is a multimillion dollar expense, and when the pandemic subsides, suddenly you would have a huge glut of expensive equipment taking up space, costing money, sitting unused. There isn't going to be a huge allotment of money spent expanding HBO capacity for covid 19.

The next challenge is logistics within the facilities that currently have HBO chambers set up to handle critical care pts, with staff trained to provide the critical care. HBO facilities would need to be set up in a negative pressure environment, which currently they are not. A safe system for transporting covid pts in and out of the department would need to be designed. Sanitation and decontamination of the chambers is also a logistics and safety nightmare. These chambers would need to be sanitized before and after each treatment, making it a slow process, then the department would need to be continually scrubbed. A rearrangement of current treatment schedules would have to then be worked. Covid pts scheduled in the morning, complete decontamination of the entire HBO facilities, then non covid pts in the evening. Rinse, repeat.

My last point is getting hospital administrators to sign off on the above, a terribly slow process. Everywhere. Again, HBO would be a game changer, but this won't become a viable treatment option simply because pulling it off is hard. There are many more reasons that this is a slow go, but these are a few of the biggest obstacles.

There is a nut out there that wants to convert grounded passenger jets into large hyperbaric chambers to treat covid, an interesting idea but it won't work. I've included a few links some if you might find interesting. These aren't all inclusive, just the first search results.

hhttps://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=https://www.ihausa.org/Hyperbaric_oxygen_therapy_in_the_treatment_ofCOVID-19_Severe_Cases.pdf&ved=2ahUKEwiFrZn4zaPpAhXMXM0KH U7KAVIQFjADegQIARAB&us g=AOvVaw2LIbJgdDsyTyU363rn9Z4r

https://doav.virginia.gov/calendar-a...xygen-therapy/

https://clinicaltrials.gov/ct2/show/...-19-pneumonia/
      Last edited by MoValley John; May 8, 2020, 01:18 AM.
      There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Well, the source of my "facts" for NY getting a serious infection from Europe is that flights from Europe to the US tend to land in NY. That led to a few people getting infected. The NY lifestyle - mass transit, subways, crowded sidewalks was the perfect situation for spreading the virus. Not as good as a meatr-packing plant, but wel;l-suited for maximizing the infection in the general population instead of in a work force.

Do a little research and digging for facts on your own instead of believing whatever news outlet is saying what you want to hear. CV may have arrived on the east coast before it arrived on the west coast. It arrived separately from different sources on both coasts. There's some evidence that the first case landed on a flight from Europe to O'Hare in Chicago. There's also evidence that the strain that arrive on the east coast had mutated from itds origin in Wuhan and was more contagious than the original strain.

Genetic testing showed that the European version quickly replaced the Asian version in places where both were present.
        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

There's also evidence that the strain that arrive on the east coast had mutated from itds origin in Wuhan and was more contagious than the original strain.
          Back to the Future (1985) clip with quote Take that, you mutated son of a bitch! Yarn is the best search for video clips by quote. Find the exact moment in a TV show, movie, or music video you want to share. Easily move forward or backward to get to the perfect clip.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

Well, the source of my "facts" for NY getting a serious infection from Europe is that flights from Europe to the US tend to land in NY. That led to a few people getting infected. The NY lifestyle - mass transit, subways, crowded sidewalks was the perfect situation for spreading the virus. Not as good as a meatr-packing plant, but wel;l-suited for maximizing the infection in the general population instead of in a work force.

Do a little research and digging for facts on your own instead of believing whatever news outlet is saying what you want to hear. CV may have arrived on the east coast before it arrived on the west coast. It arrived separately from different sources on both coasts. There's some evidence that the first case landed on a flight from Europe to O'Hare in Chicago. There's also evidence that the strain that arrive on the east coast had mutated from itds origin in Wuhan and was more contagious than the original strain.

Genetic testing showed that the European version quickly replaced the Asian version in places where both were present.
            We should call it white man’s virus.
            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Where are you getting your facts from?

The virus is everywhere. It's made it around the world. But why is New York's so much higher? Even densely populated New Jersey (right next door) isn't reporting the same rate of infection. Why is that?

The virus doesn't know there's border between New York and New Jersey, or New York and Canada. Yes, NY is an urban mess of intertwining people but there's a lot of densely populated areas around there too, even in Canada. If the virus is so contagious, it shouldn't need people sitting on each other's laps in subways to spread at the rate it did there. There's a lot of door handles in Canada too.
              I don't know what you're talking about with New Jersey. New Jersey is getting hammered and, on a few days recently, have surpassed NY in terms of daily deaths.

It's becoming clear, through genetic tracing of the virus, that whatever mutation of the virus occurred in Europe is either far more contagious or far more deadly than the original strain of the virus from Wuhan.
              The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• I did some research and from what I’ve been able to find, the fact that it’s mutated is only an indication that it has mutated. There is currently no evidence that these mutations have made it more or less deadly or infectious.
                Last edited by pie n eye; May 8, 2020, 11:29 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

It’s a guidance. Most professions have them. It is not a standard by which they can’t maintain their license. I will go ahead take all of that one.

When I was a medical student I worked for several doctors that were unscrupulous, though most were very good people. I worked for some administrators that were unscrupulous, though most were good people.

Why do you think one becomes a doctor? Most will tell you that they want to help people. That may be true, but why not be a nurse or a firefighter or a policeman? Because those positions don’t come with prestige, power, and wealth all baked into the cake.

Why does one become a high powered CEO? Prestige, power, and wealth. Ask one, and they’ll tell you that they work so hard for their employees and their customers! That may be true.
                  I guess for some professions (like the one I'm in) integrity more important, but I don't have much power, prestige or wealth.

Comment

Well, the source of my "facts" for NY getting a serious infection from Europe is that flights from Europe to the US tend to land in NY. That led to a few people getting infected. The NY lifestyle - mass transit, subways, crowded sidewalks was the perfect situation for spreading the virus. Not as good as a meatr-packing plant, but wel;l-suited for maximizing the infection in the general population instead of in a work force.

That would be true. Dallas and Houston are international airline hubs and both have been impacted severly. San Antonio is not and it has not been impacted as much, at least according to the 'official state statistics'.

Comment

Where both strains existed in a population, the European strain became the dominant strain and eventually eliminated the Chinese strain.
                      What populations are you referring to, where this happened?
                      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

What populations are you referring to, where this happened?
                        My guess is that Aargh is referring to this: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/05/07/u...-outbreak.html

There has been preliminary research that perhaps the European "strain" of COVID is more transmissible.
                        Last edited by wsushox1; May 8, 2020, 12:36 PM.
                        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

I don't know what you're talking about with New Jersey. New Jersey is getting hammered and, on a few days recently, have surpassed NY in terms of daily deaths.

It's becoming clear, through genetic tracing of the virus, that whatever mutation of the virus occurred in Europe is either far more contagious or far more deadly than the original strain of the virus from Wuhan.
                          Is is just me or is what I'm seeing a) Northern New Jersey got hit hard during the time NY was hit (across the river) b) Southern New Jersey is NOW getting hit hard because of Pennsylvania (specifically Philly) (again, across the river).

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I guess for some professions (like the one I'm in) integrity more important, but I don't have much power, prestige or wealth.
                            There are good and bad people in every profession...mostly good. I just don’t judge people’s integrity by the title in front of their name or letters behind it.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Why have 14,000 people volunteered to be infected with coronavirus?

Comment

• Found this website with projections. https://covid19.healthdata.org/unite...america/kansas
                                "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                                ---------------------------------------
                                Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                                "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                                "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

Working...
                                X