Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

I'm only looking at reported cases. https://covidtracking.com/data/state/new-york/
    Gotcha , let's hope that second derivative gets steeply negative quickly and doesn't hover near zero too long.

The only thing I worry about is the lag in testing. Continue to see anecdotes on twitter from people who have no obvious narrative to lie - saying their COVID tests took two weeks to return. Though I suppose one would expect the lag to be somewhat consistent throughout (until numbers taper off considerably), so large jumps upward aren't likely..
    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Ugh, apparently my cousin in Jersey City tested positive and she is in quarantine and under doctor's care in her apartment. She never had a fever, really, but has difficulty breathing, getting worse then better, up and down. When she has difficulty breathing her anxiety goes through the roof which makes it worse, of course. Scary stuff!
      Kung Wu say, man making mistake in elevator wrong on many levels.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Gotcha , let's hope that second derivative gets steeply negative quickly and doesn't hover near zero too long.

The only thing I worry about is the lag in testing. Continue to see anecdotes on twitter from people who have no obvious narrative to lie - saying their COVID tests took two weeks to return. Though I suppose one would expect the lag to be somewhat consistent throughout (until numbers taper off considerably), so large jumps upward aren't likely..
        I am reading average turn time on a test is a day or two (many same day, and some several days to a week). I'm sure there are many exceptions right now though, and those are the people probably screaming the loudest (rightfully so).

Comment

I am reading average turn time on a test is a day or two (many same day, and some several days to a week). I'm sure there are many exceptions right now though, and those are the people probably screaming the loudest (rightfully so).
          Yea, this person got theirs tested at the public health lab that has considerably less capacity than private/university labs.

Also, we're all pulling for your cousin!

Comment

Not true in Texas, and probably most of the rest of the red states. It seems to be taking at least 3 days, and the norm seems to be 5.

I guess it (again) goes back to two points:
            1) How sick are you?
            2) Do you live in a place where tests have been stockpiled.
            Last edited by revenge_of_shocka_khan; March 31, 2020, 08:34 AM. Reason: clarification

Comment

Ugh, apparently my cousin in Jersey City tested positive and she is in quarantine and under doctor's care in her apartment. She never had a fever, really, but has difficulty breathing, getting worse then better, up and down. When she has difficulty breathing her anxiety goes through the roof which makes it worse, of course. Scary stuff!
              Sorry to hear about your cousin! Is she also on Melody's side of the family?

My co-worker's daughter got tested last week, here in Hutch. They had the result (negative) the next day.

Comment

Ugh, apparently my cousin in Jersey City tested positive and she is in quarantine and under doctor's care in her apartment. She never had a fever, really, but has difficulty breathing, getting worse then better, up and down. When she has difficulty breathing her anxiety goes through the roof which makes it worse, of course. Scary stuff!
                I am keeping your cousin in my thoughts, hoping for the best for her. Hang in there!

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post

Sorry to hear about your cousin! Is she also on Melody's side of the family?

My co-worker's daughter got tested last week, here in Hutch. They had the result (negative) the next day.
                  Yes, it's on Melody's side by marriage. I doubt Melody knows her, but she might.

Comment

• Heartbreaking article on how one or two events in a rural community (prior to extreme social distancing measures) has lead to so many deaths in Albany, GA.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                      https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/30/u...gtype=Homepage

Heartbreaking article on how one or two events in a rural community (prior to extreme social distancing measures) has lead to so many deaths in Albany, GA.
                      That is a sad story indeed. Looking back at this and what has happened to NO I am glad the AAC had the good sense to cancel the tournament not only for AAC fans but for the city of Fort Worth. Thank you AAC because we had tickets and were there and would have gone if the games were played.

Comment

• Didn't know if you data hounds had seen this site or not. I have not clicked on their methodology link to look at it further.

Explore forecasts of COVID-19 cases, deaths, and hospital resource use.
                        Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                          Didn't know if you data hounds had seen this site or not. I have not clicked on their methodology link to look at it further.

https://covid19.healthdata.org/projections
                          Very interesting and dark picture. I’m sure their modeling is reasonable, however, based on the error bars, they obviously don’t know.

staying under 100k deaths is a big win in my mind.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• There are 7 varieties of coronavirus that affect humans. Covid-19 is just the latest. I have a close relative (lives in Wichita) in Wesley's Covid ICU isolation unit.

She had a respiratory issue in early January and tested positive for one of the other varieties. She was sent to a hospital in Denver for treatment there. At that time her symptoms were minor and travel was not an issue. She took two adult daughters (who also live in Wichita) along. They both got sick. Then my cousin got sick. That was around the middle of January. She was tested again and the result revealed she had contracted another variety of coronavirus and had a 1/6 chance of having the Covid-19 virus. They didn't have test kits for Covid-19, so they tested for a close relative to the Covid-19 virus.

She finally got released from the hospital in Denver maybe a month ago and was ordered to self-quarantine for two weeks. Shortly after she completed the self quarantine, she ended up in Wesley hospital.

One of her daughters who became ill in Denver was tested for the novel coronavirus once a test was available and approved for her. The results of that test aren't back yet. The other daughter who became ill in Denver has not been tested. My cousin won't be tested again because exposure to one of the other coronaviruses makes the current tests for the Covid-19 virus unreliable.

She is not counted in the numbers of people testing positive for Covid-19.
                            Last edited by Aargh; March 31, 2020, 12:14 PM.
                            The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                            We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Sweden Opens For Business With Some Restrictions Over Concern About Economic Damage

While swathes of Europe are under lockdown, Sweden is allowing life to go on much as normal.

Comment

• 1,257 new confirmed in Louisiana yesterday, moving total from 4,027 to 5,284.

54 deaths yesterday. Total deaths stand at 229.

Comment

Working...
                                X