No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Again, this is the real pandemic. Mental health, suicide, drug and alcohol abuse, etc. So shameful that none of this is being covered enough by the media.

Las Vegas schools trying to get open following a severe increase in suicides. 18 suicides amongst the student body from March through December last year. Double the amount from all of 2019.

A substantial uptick in student suicides has prompted the nation’s fifth-largest school district to start bringing children back to the classroom as soon as possible, despite high numbers of coronavirus cases and deaths, a report says.

A substantial uptick in student suicides has prompted the nation’s fifth-largest school district to start bringing children back to the classroom as soon as possible, despite high numbers of coronavirus cases and deaths, a report says.

The Clark County School District – which serves Las Vegas and other cities in Nevada – is now formulating a plan to allow some elementary grade and struggling youth to return to classrooms following 18 suicides amongst its student body between March and the end of December last year, The New York Times reported. That number reportedly was twice the amount the district recorded in the entirety of 2019.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

What it isn't:
      • Virus has run its course.
      • Herd immunity has not been achieved.
      • Changes in testing protocol, if any, would be to spread the net wider, more than more narrowly. At least that's what I'm picking up in the new political appointments in interviews. Seems like when I see those people on TV, they are talking about more surveillance and testing, which, unless I'm a contrarian, would tend to increase the number of cases.
      What it is:
      • Masking up
      • Social distancing
      • Rate of transmission in communities concerning people so much they are shutting down.
      What it could be:
      • People in positions of leadership and authority modeling behaviors (such as masking and social distancing) that cut down on transmission
      • Leadership expressing concerns regarding the pandemic, which draws media focus.
      I'm sure I left something off this list, but I think itr's pretty accurate. Anyone disagreeing bring facts and data.
      It's really, really tough to be this wrong, all at the same time. Well done sir.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post
        Again, this is the real pandemic. Mental health, suicide, drug and alcohol abuse, etc. So shameful that none of this is being covered enough by the media.

Las Vegas schools trying to get open following a severe increase in suicides. 18 suicides amongst the student body from March through December last year. Double the amount from all of 2019.

A substantial uptick in student suicides has prompted the nation’s fifth-largest school district to start bringing children back to the classroom as soon as possible, despite high numbers of coronavirus cases and deaths, a report says.

Sorry. Those lives don’t matter as much.
        Deuces Valley.
        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Researchers once believed t would take months or even years for the virus to develop resistance to vaccines. The speedy evolution is largely a result of the virus' unchecked spread.

New clinical trials raise fears the coronavirus is learning how to resist vaccines

New data showing that two COVID-19 vaccines are far less effective in South Africa than in other places they were tested have heightened fears that the coronavirus is quickly finding ways to elude the world’s most powerful tools to contain it.

The U.S. company Novavax reported this week that although its vaccine was nearly 90% effective in clinical trials conducted in Britain, the figure fell to 49% in South Africa — and that nearly all the infections the company analyzed in South Africa involved the B.1.351 variant that emerged there late last year and has spread to the United States and at least 30 other countries.
          Johnson & Johnson announced Friday that its new shot was 72% effective against preventing moderate or severe illness in the United States, compared with 66% in Latin America and 57% in South Africa.
          Laboratory tests had suggested that the vaccines authorized in the U.S. — one from Pfizer and BioNTech, the other from Moderna and the National Institutes of Health — trigger a smaller immune response to the South Africa variant.

Now there is evidence from tests in people that some variants are less vulnerable to certain vaccines.

“From an evolutionary biology perspective, this is totally expected and anticipated,” said Dr. Michael Mina, a Harvard epidemiologist. “But it never feels good to be validated on something so scary.”
          F
          M
          L

This is why the scientific community (and I) have been pleading for people to stop the spread. If we don't get ahead of this thing, we are looking at a mutational arms race measured in months, not seasons like influenza. We theoretically could be distributing new vaccines that are rendered useless before we vaccinate 10% of the population with them.

We are already facing the proposition that herd immunity is unobtainable with this virus and we should only be focused on the personal protection against virulence. Now we are hearing murmurings of the personal protection waning. More than murmurings actually... We are looking at a potentially inevitable situation all because folks won't cooperate in bringing down the infection rate.

*sigh*

Comment

• You will never stop the spread. It's a virus. Slow it some maybe, stop it, never. All of these pie in the sky fear mongering "projections" mean nothing at this point.

Comment

You will never stop the spread. It's a virus. Slow it some maybe, stop it, never. All of these pie in the sky fear mongering "projections" mean nothing at this point.
              Exactly. The initial goal was to slow the curve. Remember all of that talk? Now, it seems like it’s eradicate or bust. Sorry, that’s not possible.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

You will never stop the spread. It's a virus. Slow it some maybe, stop it, never. All of these pie in the sky fear mongering "projections" mean nothing at this point.

Dr. Fauci: Now MKR, I better not catch you playing with the matches again young man. You could burn down the house!
                MKR:

Moments later...

Dr. Fauci: MKR! WTF did I tell you!!?? You burned down the house!
                MKR: You knew if you left the matches in the cabinet I would burn everything down. You shouldn't have trusted me to be alone. You... You... You...

Comment

• What on God's green earth does any of that mean? Gonna need an interpretation of that jumbled up mess.

Comment

• I got my first dose of the vaccine. We are supposed to start manufacture of the vaccine in McPherson next month. I’m the Quality lead for Tech Transfer activities, so you’ve been warned!
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
                      I got my first dose of the vaccine. We are supposed to start manufacture of the vaccine in McPherson next month. I’m the Quality lead for Tech Transfer activities, so you’ve been warned!

The company says it is offering the Pfizer/BioNTech vaccine on-site to “essential employees” such as those in manufacturing, “who are critical to the vaccine effort and the continued supply of all Pfizer medicines”.
                      You lucky little...

...essential employee.

7:00, tomorrow night, on the east dock.

Comment

• Rapid COVID Tests Are Finally Coming Soon to U.S. Homes (nymag.com)

Comment

• Is this the anal one?
                          Livin the dream

Comment

• Only 9 million by year end. It’s not a ton. Hopefully there are more available as the tech becomes more accessible.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Is this the anal one?
                              You're thinking of the one where you smell your finger after pulling it out. If you don't smell anything, then you have the coronavirus.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post

You're thinking of the one where you smell your finger after pulling it out. If you don't smell anything, then you have the coronavirus.

Comment

Working...
                                X