No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why didn’t you pony up and do the rapid test?
    Deuces Valley.
    ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
      Why didn’t you pony up and do the rapid test?
      Well, for a couple reasons: If you've read most of the helpful info I've posted on here over the months, you'd know that Covid is quite airborne. And the drier, more stagnant the air, the more airborne it becomes. I wasn't interested in visiting an indoor location that is essentially a Covid magnet. My primary goal was to be tested accurately and nearly 100% certain I'd escape uninfected if I did come up negative. So I Googled drive-thru testing and called them up to schedule. Rapid tests are much less accurate than the face rape method. And I don't think anybody does the rapid tests outdoors.

Comment

• https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/17/swed...aths-rise.html
        • Sweden appears to be changing tack and implementing stricter measures as a second wave of infections takes hold and hospitalizations rise.
        • The country was infamous for not imposing a lockdown during the first wave of the coronavirus pandemic,
        • On Monday, it announced that public gatherings of more than eight people were no longer allowed.

On Monday, it announced that public gatherings of more than eight people were no longer allowed, marking a shift in tone for the Scandinavian country that has so far largely relied on voluntary measures and guidance during the pandemic.

Prime Minister Stefan Lofven announced the new limit on gatherings, lowered from a previous limit of 50 people (or 300 people for some cultural or sporting events), signaling a more aggressive approach to containing the spread of infections.

This is the new norm for the entire society,” Lofven told a news conference, Reuters reported. “Don’t go to gyms, don’t go to libraries, don’t host dinners. Cancel.”
        Whelp, looks like Sweden is back to reality. Cultural oddities only get you so far. The colder, drier air is tipping the scales.

This is why you listen to "Death Angels" like myself or Fauci during a crisis. We don't employ hope or faith, just statistics.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock View Post

You should have just waited 2 weeks after all symptoms are gone, and just went and got the antibody test.
          And you can now get an antibody test at Dillon's pharmacies - https://www.dillons.com/health/pharmacy/covid-care
          Not responsible for damage from posts that sail over the reader's head.

Comment

• Along that same vein: a nurse friend of mine said that the plasma labs are paying $800 a month if you donate the max (8x/mo) and can prove you've been infected. I've never donated but hear it is about a 2 hr. process. So essentially $50 an hour to help the community a little bit.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

Day 5 from symptom onset: Woke up this morning feeling hot and cold at the same time if that makes sense. I was shivering slightly. Went to take my temp; stood there slightly shivering for 5 mins. and it was 98.4F. Head still feels kind of dizzy but nothing upsetting.

Here's the entertaining part:

Went to the Covid testing drive-thru. There were no less than 25 employees sticking various things on my car, walking around with official-looking clipboards, and basically doing the work of about 5 people. I pulled my vehicle up to a group of kids who were walking around with their gloved hands in their pockets and laughing. I asked the young tester what his protocol was to ensure he would be maintaining a sterile environment as we did "business". I didn't want to come to a Covid testing site negative and leave positive. He said he changed his gloves. I said that isn't enough plus I didn't see him do it. After hearing and watching him demonstrate some sterile competency with the swab, I ok'd him to "go to work". He said he would be doing both nostrils for 15 secs each. I looked at him like, "Wtf?" After he did one nostril he proceeded to the 2nd. I started cursing and groaning at this point and his count sped up rapidly. The swab was actually quite thin and flexible which no doubt makes it easier for amateurs to reach the necessary depth without perforating the back of your skull. That being said, the test lived up to its reputation. I have no doubt they will not only have a high-quality sample of sinus mucus for Covid testing purposes, but would be able to test my colon flora for healthiness too if they chose. Impressive set of alarms going off inside my head when he skull ****ed me for 30 seconds. My reptile brain kept telling me to punch him in the throat and drive away with haste. Oh well, I got it done and the tester is unharmed.
              Not sure what the hell is going on wherever you are testing, but my two experiences have been so simple and painless. Pull up and one person comes out and administers the test and your on your way. Latest one was for my glorious 9-day trip to Hawaii I just returned from.

Comment

• Originally posted by MikeKennedyRulZ View Post

Not sure what the hell is going on wherever you are testing, but my two experiences have been so simple and painless. Pull up and one person comes out and administers the test and your on your way. Latest one was for my glorious 9-day trip to Hawaii I just returned from.
                I'm in Kansas. We're lucky to even have testing.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ted Lasso's Neighbor View Post

And you can now get an antibody test at Dillon's pharmacies - https://www.dillons.com/health/pharmacy/covid-care
                  I'd rather go to WM. They deliver.

Comment

• A long time friend of mine visited his son in S. Korea at the end of last December. I don't recall if he had a layover in China or several Chinese were on his flight back to California. Anyway, right after getting back (early January) he felt sick. Not bad, but definitely under the weather. In June he donated blood and was informed by the Red Cross he possessed Covid-19 anti-bodies. So he assumed he got it during his S. Korea visit or on the way home. A week ago he tested positive and said he feels like he has a nasty case of the flu and hadn't eaten in several days.

So there is one anecdotal case where if he did have it in January, he didn't get a year's worth of immunity from the antibodies.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock View Post
                      A long time friend of mine visited his son in S. Korea at the end of last December. I don't recall if he had a layover in China or several Chinese were on his flight back to California. Anyway, right after getting back (early January) he felt sick. Not bad, but definitely under the weather. In June he donated blood and was informed by the Red Cross he possessed Covid-19 anti-bodies. So he assumed he got it during his S. Korea visit or on the way home. A week ago he tested positive and said he feels like he has a nasty case of the flu and hadn't eaten in several days.

So there is one anecdotal case where if he did have it in January, he didn't get a year's worth of immunity from the antibodies.
                      It's gonna happen. Particularly with those that get only a light dose. I wonder if the virus has mutated enough over the last 8 mos. for some to not recognize it?

But look at what the NYT's put out today on that very subject!

Immunity to the Coronavirus May Last Years, New Data Hint

Blood samples from recovered patients suggest a powerful, long-lasting immune response, researchers reported.

How long might immunity to the coronavirus last? Years, maybe even decades, according to a new study — the most hopeful answer yet to a question that has shadowed plans for widespread vaccination.

Eight months after infection, most people who have recovered still have enough immune cells to fend off the virus and prevent illness, the new data show. A slow rate of decline in the short term suggests, happily, that these cells may persist in the body for a very, very long time to come.

The research, published online, has not been peer-reviewed nor published in a scientific journal. But it is the most comprehensive and long-ranging study of immune memory to the coronavirus to date.

“That amount of memory would likely prevent the vast majority of people from getting hospitalized disease, severe disease, for many years,” said Shane Crotty, a virologist at the La Jolla Institute of Immunology who co-led the new study.

The findings are likely to come as a relief to experts worried that immunity to the virus might be short-lived, and that vaccines might have to be administered repeatedly to keep the pandemic under control.

And the research squares with another recent finding: that survivors of SARS, caused by another coronavirus, still carry certain important immune cells 17 years after recovering.
                      The findings are consistent with encouraging evidence emerging from other labs. Researchers at the University of Washington, led by the immunologist Marion Pepper, had earlier shown that certain “memory” cells that were produced following infection with the coronavirus persist for at least three months in the body.

A study published last week also found that people who have recovered from Covid-19 have powerful and protective killer immune cells even when antibodies are not detectable.

These studies “are all by and large painting the same picture, which is that once you get past those first few critical weeks, the rest of the response looks pretty conventional,” said Deepta Bhattacharya, an immunologist at the University of Arizona.

Comment

You're actually right in a way. It gave me confidence to move around in society with little fear. I mean, how on earth would a guy that talks like I do regarding the pandemic, find himself chest-to-chest with a man that goes chest-to-chest for a living with random people all day long?

I like to imagine an infected person like pig pen of Peanuts - with that cloud all around him. That's probably closer to reality than you'd imagine. Stay out of people's viral cloud. And if they sneeze, jump into a ditch or turn and run. It's only traveling at 100 mph. :P

Had my mask not gotten dislodged at times, I would have probably been protected. But as it stands, if this is the sickest I get, I may have just gotten a poor man's inoculation due to such a tiny dose of the alien's sperm.

I posted a study months ago where volunteers elected to be infected with influenza. They gave the participants varying doses and were able to establish that the lower dose of virus you got, the less severe your symptoms.

So in conclusion: masks work! So does social distancing.

Dr. Redfield did say that masks could be better than vaccines. What he means is, not everybody is going to get the vaccine; not everybody is going to have an immunological response, some vaccines might be defective/spoiled. If we're all wearing masks, we all have some sort of "vaccine". I concur! And if a little slips through, we get the real deal... for free. :(

P.S. my overall recommendation remains the same: avoid this insidious, alien plague if at all possible.

P.P.S. I doubled my normal dose of D3 when I lost my sense of smell and started consuming an expired ('19) bottle of Airborne which gives me some Vit. C, Zinc, and some other naturopathic B.S.
                        BUT MASKS!!!!!!!!! Honestly, I hope you're feeling better and nearly recovered. I have no reservations about what this damned thing will do to me if I get it, and I don't like it. Keep fighting 'Cold.

Ok seriously, don't even read this. This is for my own benefit, if I live long enough to come back and see how wrong I was (or just maybe a little right).

Virus gonna virus. Masks maybe 20% as effective as social distancing. This thing was going to make it's rounds, one way or the other.

We'll eventually find out a lot more than half were asymptomatic.

We'll admit that counting anyone that had the virus at death inflated "Covid" deaths by almost 50%. (guessing 35-50%)

We'll admit that the biggest reason we had so many deaths here is that this insidious alien virus hammers those that are obese and sedentary (and all the things that go along with that) and that our country has that in numbers that the rest of the world can't fathom (and I say that from personal experience as I am 100% guilty). That and the way we counted.

Warp Speed will be the single most successful government initiated program in 30 years, and Trump, while basically getting no credit at home, will be nominated for yet another Nobel after he leaves office for his foresight and the millions of lives he will have saved. He will have initiated the program, dropped the roadblocks, provided incentives, and was basically right about the timeline from day 1. He set lofty goals that almost no one thought could be reached, and while most of the media (and society in general) mocked him, he then found a way to see those goals were reached. True leadership.
                        Last edited by WuDrWu; November 19, 2020, 09:30 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post

We'll admit that the biggest reason we had so many deaths here is that this insidious alien virus hammers those that are obese and sedentary (and all the things that go along with that) and that our country has that in numbers that the rest of the world can't fathom (and I say that from personal experience as I am 100% guilty). That and they way we counted.

Warp Speed will be the single most successful government initiated program in 30 years, and Trump, while basically getting no credit at home, will be nominated for yet another Nobel after he leaves office for his foresight and the millions of lives he will have saved. He will have initiated the program, dropped the roadblocks, provided incentives, and was basically right about the timeline from day 1. He set lofty goals that almost no one thought could be reached, and while most of the media (and society in general) mocked him, he then found a way to see those goals were reached. True leadership.
                          While I agree about the part regards obese and sedentary people, if you've had chemo, you are also at risk. I have recently retired acquaintance had sarcoma, who has disappeared since this stuff started. Don't know if it's radio silence, if he got really sick or what, but we had lunch in mid-February and he told me that he was tired of long hours and was looking forward to getting a part time job and retiring. My bet is he's locked down. That's what most cancer survivors I know of have been doing.

Comment

• So if you test positive for China virus on Monday, would you still test positive for it the following Monday? How bout the Monday after that?

Comment

• I understand the logic, but where is the data the says bars and restaurants are sources of infections?

Comment

Along that same vein: a nurse friend of mine said that the plasma labs are paying $800 a month if you donate the max (8x/mo) and can prove you've been infected. I've never donated but hear it is about a 2 hr. process. So essentially $50 an hour to help the community a little bit.
                                Had to check my Funk and Wagnalls, thought I knew the definition of ‘donate’, I was correct. Did a little research. What you would receive is compensation for your time and it is apparently taxable, 1099 misc income type stuff.

Get well!

Comment

Working...
                                X