No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Infected again or endless COVID-19? How the 'reinfection phenomenon' could impact vaccines, herd immunity and human behavior

By medical standards, Nicole Worthley is considered extraordinarily rare. She was diagnosed with COVID-19 on March 31 and again in September.

She was walloped both times, with a fever for six weeks and side effects all summer before round two kicked in.

But she can't prove she had COVID-19 twice. That requires genetic testing of both infections, which has only happened a few dozen times in the world, and never in South Dakota where she lives.

Many states are keeping track of claims of reinfection – South Dakota, for example, is studying at least 28, while Washington state is investigating 120 – but they are still considered extremely unusual, according to health experts, including the World Health Organization.

In Colorado, 241 people have had a second positive PCR test more than 90 days after the first one. "All are investigated as cases, including isolation instruction for the case and quarantine instruction for their close contacts," according to a Colorado Department of Health and Environment spokesperson.
    Well this is exactly what we don't need to hear about. SARS-CoV-2 ain't goin' away folks. Hopefully it continues to evolve into something more benign and/or the community-at-large's immune system becomes familiar enough with the virus's mechanisms that it's essentially another version of the common cold.

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post
      Day 4 from symptom onset: No night sweating last night that I know of. I slept the best since this all began. Still can't smell normally. Appetite is good. Gastro symptoms remain abated since Sat. night but there are echoes. Head is still slightly dizzy at times so I know I'm still possessed with the dude in the top hat (shown above). I imagine the rattling and gurgling felt in my guttiwuts (Clockwork Orange) was the little bugger turning my insides upside down looking for the perfect place to set up shop. He remains thwarted thus far *knocks on wood*.

Drive-thru test is scheduled for tomorrow. I will be getting penetrated like a man... in prison... if my arse were my nose.

P.S. I can't believe I'm in this situation. I'm supposed to be the smart one that makes it out at the end of the movie. I got outsmarted by a microscopic package of nucleic acid and protein. :-[
      it's that damn mask!

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

it's that damn mask!
        You're actually right in a way. It gave me confidence to move around in society with little fear. I mean, how on earth would a guy that talks like I do regarding the pandemic, find himself chest-to-chest with a man that goes chest-to-chest for a living with random people all day long?

I like to imagine an infected person like pig pen of Peanuts - with that cloud all around him. That's probably closer to reality than you'd imagine. Stay out of people's viral cloud. And if they sneeze, jump into a ditch or turn and run. It's only traveling at 100 mph. :P

Had my mask not gotten dislodged at times, I would have probably been protected. But as it stands, if this is the sickest I get, I may have just gotten a poor man's inoculation due to such a tiny dose of the alien's sperm.

I posted a study months ago where volunteers elected to be infected with influenza. They gave the participants varying doses and were able to establish that the lower dose of virus you got, the less severe your symptoms.

So in conclusion: masks work! So does social distancing.

Dr. Redfield did say that masks could be better than vaccines. What he means is, not everybody is going to get the vaccine; not everybody is going to have an immunological response, some vaccines might be defective/spoiled. If we're all wearing masks, we all have some sort of "vaccine". I concur! And if a little slips through, we get the real deal... for free. :(

P.S. my overall recommendation remains the same: avoid this insidious, alien plague if at all possible.

P.P.S. I doubled my normal dose of D3 when I lost my sense of smell and started consuming an expired ('19) bottle of Airborne which gives me some Vit. C, Zinc, and some other naturopathic B.S.
        Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; November 16, 2020, 04:10 PM.

Comment

• Brit Hume

@brithume
          ·
          20h
          The responses to this tweet are as telling as the tweet itself.

Arne Duncan
          @arneduncan
          · Nov 15
          I so appreciate everyone’s good wishers! How did we catch it? I don’t know We wore masks We socially distanced We avoided crowds We haven’t had people in our house And, I’m sure whoever gave it to us felt they did the same COVID is in the air now- in almost every room you enter

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
            Brit Hume

@brithume
            ·
            20h
            The responses to this tweet are as telling as the tweet itself.

Arne Duncan
            @arneduncan
            · Nov 15
            I so appreciate everyone’s good wishers! How did we catch it? I don’t know We wore masks We socially distanced We avoided crowds We haven’t had people in our house And, I’m sure whoever gave it to us felt they did the same COVID is in the air now- in almost every room you enter
            There's always one slip up and if he was totally honest he'd say. Probably the other night with the call girl. :P

Wearing a "mask" around a bunch of sick people is not going to be much of a guarantee for the wearee. A properly fitted N95, with social distancing, and a brief exchange should be highly effective in most situations. Almost nobody wears an N95 in public except for my ass.

That being said, all parties wearing a cloth/surgical mask should see reduced contractions and/or severity of illness as per my previous post.

Comment

• So it looks like we’re gonna be wearing masks until the sun burns out?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                So it looks like we’re gonna be wearing masks until the sun burns out?
                You know we install 12” thick HEPA Filters in our clean rooms to keep particles 5 times bigger than Coronavirus below 35 per cubic meter. That would be ~ 1000 particles of coronavirus size in every cubic meter of air you breathe if you put an 12” HEPA filter on your face.

Last edited by wufan; November 17, 2020, 07:37 AM. Reason: Corrected size of HEPA filter from 18” to 12”
                Livin the dream

Comment

• Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    We were running at 20-40 non-Covid patients in the ICU the last several months. Why are we now at over 100?
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

We were running at 20-40 non-Covid patients in the ICU the last several months. Why are we now at over 100?
                      Not sure I follow. If you use August 24th as an example we had 189 beds in use minus 35 covid patients = 154 non-covid ICU beds in use. On Nov 16th I see 208 - 88 = 120 non-covid ICU beds.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post

Not sure I follow. If you use August 24th as an example we had 189 beds in use minus 35 covid patients = 154 non-covid ICU beds in use. On Nov 16th I see 208 - 88 = 120 non-covid ICU beds.
                        Whoops...misread the graph. Pay no attention.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

There's always one slip up and if he was totally honest he'd say. Probably the other night with the call girl. :P

Wearing a "mask" around a bunch of sick people is not going to be much of a guarantee for the wearee. A properly fitted N95, with social distancing, and a brief exchange should be highly effective in most situations. Almost nobody wears an N95 in public except for my ass.

That being said, all parties wearing a cloth/surgical mask should see reduced contractions and/or severity of illness as per my previous post.
                          Nice to see you're feeling better, and I'm one of those people who wear an N95 in public.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

Nice to see you're feeling better, and I'm one of those people who wear an N95 in public.
                            Day 5 from symptom onset: Woke up this morning feeling hot and cold at the same time if that makes sense. I was shivering slightly. Went to take my temp; stood there slightly shivering for 5 mins. and it was 98.4F. Head still feels kind of dizzy but nothing upsetting.

Here's the entertaining part:

Went to the Covid testing drive-thru. There were no less than 25 employees sticking various things on my car, walking around with official-looking clipboards, and basically doing the work of about 5 people. I pulled my vehicle up to a group of kids who were walking around with their gloved hands in their pockets and laughing. I asked the young tester what his protocol was to ensure he would be maintaining a sterile environment as we did "business". I didn't want to come to a Covid testing site negative and leave positive. He said he changed his gloves. I said that isn't enough plus I didn't see him do it. After hearing and watching him demonstrate some sterile competency with the swab, I ok'd him to "go to work". He said he would be doing both nostrils for 15 secs each. I looked at him like, "Wtf?" After he did one nostril he proceeded to the 2nd. I started cursing and groaning at this point and his count sped up rapidly. The swab was actually quite thin and flexible which no doubt makes it easier for amateurs to reach the necessary depth without perforating the back of your skull. That being said, the test lived up to its reputation. I have no doubt they will not only have a high-quality sample of sinus mucus for Covid testing purposes, but would be able to test my colon flora for healthiness too if they chose. Impressive set of alarms going off inside my head when he skull ****ed me for 30 seconds. My reptile brain kept telling me to punch him in the throat and drive away with haste. Oh well, I got it done and the tester is unharmed.

Comment

Day 5 from symptom onset: Woke up this morning feeling hot and cold at the same time if that makes sense. I was shivering slightly. Went to take my temp; stood there slightly shivering for 5 mins. and it was 98.4F. Head still feels kind of dizzy but nothing upsetting.

Went to the Covid testing drive-thru. There were no less than 25 employees sticking various things on my car, walking around with official-looking clipboards, and basically doing the work of about 5 people. I pulled my vehicle up to a group of kids who were walking around with their gloved hands in their pockets and laughing. I asked the young tester what his protocol was to ensure he would be maintaining a sterile environment as we did "business". I didn't want to come to a Covid testing site negative and leave positive. He said he changed his gloves. I said that isn't enough plus I didn't see him do it. After hearing and watching him demonstrate some sterile competency with the swab, I ok'd him to "go to work". He said he would be doing both nostrils for 15 secs each. I looked at him like, "Wtf?" After he did one nostril he proceeded to the 2nd. I started cursing and groaning at this point and his count sped up rapidly. The swab was actually quite thin and flexible which no doubt makes it easier for amateurs to reach the necessary depth without perforating the back of your skull. That being said, the test lived up to its reputation. I have no doubt they will not only have a high-quality sample of sinus mucus for Covid testing purposes, but would be able to test my colon flora for healthiness too if they chose. Impressive set of alarms going off inside my head when he skull ****ed me for 30 seconds. My reptile brain kept telling me to punch him in the throat and drive away with haste. Oh well, I got it done and the tester is unharmed.
                              "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

You should have just waited 2 weeks after all symptoms are gone, and just went and got the antibody test.

Comment

Working...
                                X