Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I will share Cold’s optimism. We should rejoice that 135 students that are statistically unlikely to have any health consequences have become infected. If only they had waited for the number to reach 13,500 before shutting down school.

On a side note, I wonder if the tutors that are doing the work will be allowed to submit the work directly to the professor or if they will have to route it through the student?
    Actions like that would require a time machine to be considered anything other than malfeasance at the time. C'mon, man... use your thinking cap.

P.S. Everything's a statistic until your child is in the hospital.
    Last edited by C0|dB|00ded; August 17, 2020, 06:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

A perfectly reasonable response from a self-proclaimed conservative.
      Tucker was fine... until he went all Covidiot.

And he has a raging hardon for Dr. Fauci, which is just silly. He couldn't hold his jock strap.

Comment

• Nothing really new by CB. Everyone that was paying attention knew that immunity had to be a real thing even though Fauci and others were conservative in their assessments. There were many cases where married people (others too) who lived together (quaranteed together)were in very small confined spaces. One of the couple obtained the virus while their partner didn’t. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that Immunity had to be involved.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post
          Nothing really new by CB. Everyone that was paying attention knew that immunity had to be a real thing even though Fauci and others were conservative in their assessments. There were many cases where married people (others too) who lived together (quaranteed together)were in very small confined spaces. One of the couple obtained the virus while their partner didn’t. It didn’t take a rocket scientist to realize that Immunity had to be involved.
          You knew all along that minor SARS-CoV-2 infections triggered robust immune responses huh? I don't know what line of work you're in, but you should really consider consulting to the HHS and/or CDC. With your talent for immunoepidemiology, you could name your price... Well done!

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

You knew all along that minor SARS-CoV-2 infections triggered robust immune responses huh? I don't know what line of work you're in, but you should really consider consulting to the HHS and/or CDC. With your talent for immunoepidemiology, you could name your price... Well done!
            Immunity has been suspected for a while and it’s been mentioned on here in the recent past. Your information wasn’t ground breaking.

Comment

A 60% populous of vaccinations should do wonders for herd immunity. Also, then we don’t have to protect the vulnerable. They would be voluntary participants in their own risk.
              That's what I'm waiting for. When you have a cancer survivor in the house, you have to be careful.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

That's what I'm waiting for. When you have a cancer survivor in the house, you have to be careful.
                So why aren’t you in favor of sending kids back to school? That would boost herd immunity to 15-20% of the population very quickly. At risk teachers need not attend in person.
                Livin the dream

Comment

So why aren’t you in favor of sending kids back to school? That would boost herd immunity to 15-20% of the population very quickly. At risk teachers need not attend in person.
                  I did not say I wasn't. We just need to be c-a-r-e-f-u-l. Make special accomodations for teachers and employees at risk (like letting them go out on leave if they have comorbidity factors). I've even said that they should open at 25% with social distancing and that way, every student gets face time with a teacher once a week.

My daughter will be in school soon and teaching her special needs kids.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication going on here. In south Texas, the schools are closed until after Labor day due to high infection and transmission rates. Once the numbers get down, the schools need to be open and if there is a spike, they need to close.

For instance, we had less than 100 new cases yesterday. Deaths are starting to decline (we had 20 yesterday, but are down to only 73 contested cases, 200 in the ICU and 150 on vents).

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I did not say I wasn't. We just need to be c-a-r-e-f-u-l. Make special accomodations for teachers and employees at risk (like letting them go out on leave if they have comorbidity factors). I've even said that they should open at 25% with social distancing and that way, every student gets face time with a teacher once a week.

My daughter will be in school soon and teaching her special needs kids.

Perhaps there is some miscommunication going on here. In south Texas, the schools are closed until after Labor day due to high infection and transmission rates. Once the numbers get down, the schools need to be open and if there is a spike, they need to close.

For instance, we had less than 100 new cases yesterday. Deaths are starting to decline (we had 20 yesterday, but are down to only 73 contested cases, 200 in the ICU and 150 on vents).
                    I don’t consider 25% as open. I would consider open as being, all kids that want to attend should be able to attend. I would also ask what are the rates at which it is too high? We are at less than a 0.05% infection rate and are considering that, “medium risk”.
                    Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Shockm View Post

Immunity has been suspected for a while and it’s been mentioned on here in the recent past. Your information wasn’t ground breaking.
                      "Immunity has been suspected for a while... on here." LOL![

So... Coronavirus immunity is very unpredictable, unreliable, and short-lived historically. Thankfully, most Coronaviruses that circulate in the population are very mild. It was logical to be skeptical and nervous of what SARS-Cov-2 would elicit. But just like the insidious, novel/alien virus that it is... it triggers a robust immune response. A totally welcomed surprised to the science community who have been on their heels trying to figure this bugger out for months.

The majority of what gets discussed in here is laced with faith and politics. When I make a statement you know it will be logical, scientific, and unbiased. So yeah, you're welcome.

Comment

I don’t consider 25% as open. I would consider open as being, all kids that want to attend should be able to attend. I would also ask what are the rates at which it is too high? We are at less than a 0.05% infection rate and are considering that, “medium risk”.
                        I believe the Andover schools (middle school anyway) is allowing students/parents to decide on "in class" or "online". Those that select online will be able to do so. Those electing "in class" will be divided in half (by alphabet). 50% will be in class Monday and Thursday, the other half Tuesday and Friday with off days and Wednesday online.

Comment

This "boost" to herd immunity would come at a cost. A cost of lives. When a vaccine is only a semester away, it's reasonable to consider delaying areas from restarting - particularly hot spots.

It's not an easy decision BECAUSE of the great work in the vaccinology field. We have a choice to wait a few months. But at what economic cost. Discussing lives for economics is an impolite/uncomfortable conversation in public.

If we were still struggling with vaccine development, it would be open up and open wide, no question about it.

This entire "phased opening" approach has been bungled by states (particularly Republican-led states). But at this point it's a sunk cost. If we severely harm our economy there will global repercussions. Thankfully, one way or the other, we start to head back towards normal in December.

Comment

• December?

Comment

• Originally posted by C0|dB|00ded View Post

This "boost" to herd immunity would come at a cost. A cost of lives. When a vaccine is only a semester away, it's reasonable to consider delaying areas from restarting - particularly hot spots.

It's not an easy decision BECAUSE of the great work in the vaccinology field. We have a choice to wait a few months. But at what economic cost. Discussing lives for economics is an impolite/uncomfortable conversation in public.

If we were still struggling with vaccine development, it would be open up and open wide, no question about it.

This entire "phased opening" approach has been bungled by states (particularly Republican-led states). But at this point it's a sunk cost. If we severely harm our economy there will global repercussions. Thankfully, one way or the other, we start to head back towards normal in December.
                              IF we severely harm our economy?

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                                December?
                                No, he’s wrong. Widespread vaccination will be after the upcoming school year.
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X