Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

We develop a brand new flu vaccine every year. It is about 50% effective at stopping you from getting the flu, because sometimes they guess wrong on the predominate strains. So, if 50% of people get the vaccine (probably less), then about 25% of the population is immune.
    Right, as I said in my original post the more people who get the flu shot the more effective it is for the entire population.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post

We do have a flu shot that sorta works, but it's not a vaccine
      So, because it is not vaccine and does not guarantee 100% protection do you decline to get it each year? Just curious since I know you’ve said in the last you are or are close to retirement age.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Depending on your definition of “works”.
        40-60% effectiveness with minimal side effects and almost non existent serious risk qualifies as “works” to me.

Comment

• There is nothing selfish about it or anything I do. Furthermore, I do the social distance thing quite nicely. Probably better than most. I've also had the unpleasant experience of being covid tested twice. That's right, twice. It sucks, I didn't want to do it, but I woke up with a cough. And being the husband if a nurse that does direct care with covid patients, I followed protocol and was tested. Having a plastic swab shoved through your nose to the back of your throat is not just uncomfortable, it hurts and your eyes tear up for 15-20 minutes. After the first time, I said never again. But never again came, and I was tested again. I've sat in a two week quarantine simply due to a cold as well. I'll give you a little bonus. I'll get you photos of the hospital entrance. You'll see a trash can full of bs masks worn by experts required to wear them on campus. The first thing they do when they leave the building is discard them, not for selfish reasons, but because they know they are ineffective. Dealing with pts, they wear n95s, religiously. They dont wear the n95s except for direct covid pts care. They wear crappy stuff you advocate the rest of the time because of policy. Those experts discard the cheap masks exactly at the door because they know that they dont work. My wife included, along with the physicians, none of whom are selfish.

Maybe you should be less judgmental of those that choose differently than you.
          There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

40-60% effectiveness with minimal side effects and almost non existent serious risk qualifies as “works” to me.
            Would that be sufficient for covid?
            Deuces Valley.
            ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Yes.
              There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

So, because it is not vaccine and does not guarantee 100% protection do you decline to get it each year? Just curious since I know you’ve said in the last you are or are close to retirement age.
                I get the flu shot, but it;s not a vaccine, and there won;t be one for China virus either, is my guess.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post

Would that be sufficient for covid?
                  Sufficient for Covid as it pertains to what?

It would beat the nothing we currently have.

Comment

I get the flu shot, but it;s not a vaccine, and there won;t be one for China virus either, is my guess.
                    I never called it a flu vaccine. I’m skeptical we’ll see a vaccine for Covid either but who knows.

Comment

Right, as I said in my original post the more people who get the flu shot the more effective it is for the entire population.
                      I’m not following you. It’s 50% ineffective. That means that half the people who get the shot also are susceptible to the flu. It’s a coin flip if exposed for everyone.
                      Livin the dream

Comment

It is a vaccine. Why are you guys arguing this. This is easy google stuff. The “flu shot” is the influenza A and Influenza B vaccination. It’s given seasonally due to changes in the infectious strains.
                        Livin the dream

Comment

I still don’t understand why people don’t wear crash helmets every time they get into the car. 35k died in the US last year from car wrecks. Wearing a crash helmet has minimal side effects and no serious risks. It is proven to work.
                          Livin the dream

Comment

Sufficient for Covid as it pertains to what?

It would beat the nothing we currently have.
                            If I understand the engineering of vaccines - they key is it needs to be affective enough (and utilized) so you have herd immunity in you community So it spread won’t be a “pandemic” type.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I still don’t understand why people don’t wear crash helmets every time they get into the car. 35k died in the US last year from car wrecks. Wearing a crash helmet has minimal side effects and no serious risks. It is proven to work.
                              Wearing a helmet or not has no bearing on the survival of other parties involved in the crash.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
                                There is nothing selfish about it or anything I do. Furthermore, I do the social distance thing quite nicely. Probably better than most. I've also had the unpleasant experience of being covid tested twice. That's right, twice. It sucks, I didn't want to do it, but I woke up with a cough. And being the husband if a nurse that does direct care with covid patients, I followed protocol and was tested. Having a plastic swab shoved through your nose to the back of your throat is not just uncomfortable, it hurts and your eyes tear up for 15-20 minutes. After the first time, I said never again. But never again came, and I was tested again. I've sat in a two week quarantine simply due to a cold as well. I'll give you a little bonus. I'll get you photos of the hospital entrance. You'll see a trash can full of bs masks worn by experts required to wear them on campus. The first thing they do when they leave the building is discard them, not for selfish reasons, but because they know they are ineffective. Dealing with pts, they wear n95s, religiously. They dont wear the n95s except for direct covid pts care. They wear crappy stuff you advocate the rest of the time because of policy. Those experts discard the cheap masks exactly at the door because they know that they dont work. My wife included, along with the physicians, none of whom are selfish.

Maybe you should be less judgmental of those that choose differently than you.
                                MVJ just wanted to say thanks for the information weeks ago on the treatment you suggested. Not that I've had a reason to use it, but the info you provided allowed me to have an informed and in depth discussion with a family member that is a physician and not only did I walk away a lot more informed on the subject, this family member is not close, and now is a little closer. Win win.

Thank you. Very much.

Comment

Working...
                                X