No announcement yet.

Coronavirus 2019-nCoV

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• As for the efficacy of masks and covid, probably the best study done, was in S. Korea. They took actual covid patients and tested them coughing, with a mask, and without, over petri dishes. The masks didn't work.
    Many countries recommend face masks in public to curb the COVID-19 pandemic. We look at common reasons why some people do not wear them.

As I said in an earlier post, it is one thing to test a mask's ability to filter particulants in a controlled environment with a steady stream blowing matter into a mask, it's another when you add the dynamics of the human respiratory system. Covid patients transmitted the virus through the masks.
    There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• Originally posted by MoValley John View Post
      As for the efficacy of masks and covid, probably the best study done, was in S. Korea. They took actual covid patients and tested them coughing, with a mask, and without, over petri dishes. The masks didn't work.
      https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/art...nst-sars-cov-2

As I said in an earlier post, it is one thing to test a mask's ability to filter particulants in a controlled environment with a steady stream blowing matter into a mask, it's another when you add the dynamics of the human respiratory system. Covid patients transmitted the virus through the masks.
      This was already posted by SB Shock and I’ll say the same thing I did then. All this study tells us is that if someone coughs directly at you five times in a row from a distance of 8 inches that you will be covered.

Most people don’t stand 8 inches from someone in non-pandemic times and they certainly wouldn’t maintain that distance long enough to allow someone to cough directly on them five times in a row. The study has very little practical application, in my opinion.
      Last edited by pie n eye; May 29, 2020, 09:27 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by pie n eye View Post

This was already posted by SB Shock and I’ll say the same thing I did then. All this study tells us is that if someone coughs directly at you five times in a row from a distance of 8 inches that you will be covered.

Most people don’t stand 8 inches from someone in non-pandemic times and they certainly wouldn’t maintain that distance long enough to allow someone to cough directly on them five times in a row. The study has very little practical application.
        Actually, it showed that covid 19 permeates the masks. How far your spray travels is irrelevant. Furthermore, six feet isnt even a "safe" distance, masked or unmasked. The claim that the mask stops you from expelling the virus through the mask has been debunked. The supposed point of the mask is to keep others safe by sequestering the virus expelled from the wearer inside the mask. Swabs show that isnt the case. In fact, there was a larger viral load on the outside of the masks. That should be very concerning. Sending people out with masks, giving them a false sense of security, is dangerous.

There are three rules that I live by: never get less than twelve hours sleep; never play cards with a guy who has the same first name as a city; and never get involved with a woman with a tattoo of a dagger on her body. Now you stick to that, and everything else is cream cheese.

Comment

• As long as we all know, according to NPR, wearing a mask is medal of honor showing how much you care, and to give people a sense of security.

Comment

• I'll be serious and try to explain this simply. If I have covid, I wear a mask, I go to WalMart, keep my six foot distance, exhale covid a mere 8", the customer that was 10 feet behind me walks into the area I vacated, inhales the air I exhaled (which does happen) the virus was just transmitted. The efficacy of masks are minimal, but they make the wearers feel good about themselves.

And if I touch the front of the mask, fidget with the mask, wear it improperly, reuse an unwashed mask, or any of the hundreds of other mistakes are made, well crap....
            Last edited by MoValley John; May 29, 2020, 10:10 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by revenge_of_shocka_khan View Post

I would say a number of people. They seem to fall into two groups.

One who think masks are totally useless and seem to want to turn this into a political thing.....like you just did. Republicans include people of color, who have a higher mortality rate than white folks, and cancer survivors who have a mortality rate that is double that of the general population.

The other who thinks they don't need to socially distance (the 'tough guy' crowd jdshock referred to).

This has nothing to do with shaming people, but rather it has everything to do with all of us acting together in a sense of community and looking out for the most vulnerable in our communities.

Heck, I even saw Mitch McConnell say people ought to be wearing masks. Do you think he was shaming others or do you think he was trying to emphasize that sometimes the community does things for the greater good?

And while you are thinking about that, please don't show your political bias. I know we disagree on these things, but if you think about it, Biden is wearing a mask for the exact same reasons. And also (probably) because his wife is a cancer survivor.
              EDIT: Jill did not have cancer, apparently I'm mistaken from what I saw, but Beau definitely did and they are active in that community with their charity. That makes them more aware of these risks, especially since Jill is a physician.
              I actually think 80% of people don’t fall into either group. I think 80% of people have given this some thought and have made an individual decision based on their knowledge and perceived risk/benefit. I think that same overwhelming majority doesn’t care what individual decision someone else made. I fit into THAT group.

Contrast that with those who think others are idiots for wearing masks or those that think everyone should have to wear a mask. That’s a collective position about what others should do. There are a handful of vocal Karen’s on both sides that fit into this category. If the argument ends up being collectively that everyone must do X, both of those groups will grow as the IDGAF what you do group shrinks.

Just to clarity, I wasn’t the one that turned this political. I juxtaposed the political position that was presented in the post I quoted.
              Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

I actually think 80% of people don’t fall into either group. I think 80% of people have given this some thought and have made an individual decision based on their knowledge and perceived risk/benefit. I think that same overwhelming majority doesn’t care what individual decision someone else made. I fit into THAT group.

Contrast that with those who think others are idiots for wearing masks or those that think everyone should have to wear a mask. That’s a collective position about what others should do. There are a handful of vocal Karen’s on both sides that fit into this category. If the argument ends up being collectively that everyone must do X, both of those groups will grow as the IDGAF what you do group shrinks.

Just to clarity, I wasn’t the one that turned this political. I juxtaposed the political position that was presented in the post I quoted.
                This.

I dont care if people wear masks. I dont care if a store requires masks. I wear a mask at Menards, it's their policy. I choose not to wear one otherwise simply because evidence shows that they are ineffective.

I have never shamed anyone for wearing a mask. I have, however, warned my mother and others that masks, at best do little.

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post

Yes. It seems that R of SK is more into controlling others. His totally untrue accusation that I relied on Fox News instead of listening to my personal doctor’sadvice on the reliability of masks is a good example of how he is right and everyone else must be wrong.

Comment

Actually, it showed that covid 19 permeates the masks. How far your spray travels is irrelevant. Furthermore, six feet isnt even a "safe" distance, masked or unmasked. The claim that the mask stops you from expelling the virus through the mask has been debunked. The supposed point of the mask is to keep others safe by sequestering the virus expelled from the wearer inside the mask. Swabs show that isnt the case. In fact, there was a larger viral load on the outside of the masks. That should be very concerning. Sending people out with masks, giving them a false sense of security, is dangerous.
                    The mechanism of the study was to have the participant cough five times from a distance of 20cm (about 8 inches) directly on a Petri dish. I would not expect a cloth mask to provide protection in such a scenario. Nor would I expect to ever have someone cough directly on me five times from a distance of 8 inches. Nor would I expect to come into contact with the inside or outside of anyone else’s mask.

The study does not gauge whether masks limit how far the aerosols travel which would be of more practical use than “I coughed on the mask and it had coronavirus”.

However, my point remains that the main purpose of the mask and even physical distancing is to help prevent asymptomatic transmission. As in the people who don’t know they’re sick but are still contagious. The people showing symptoms like coughing five times in a row should be at home.

Comment

I'll be serious and try to explain this simply. If I have covid, I wear a mask, I go to WalMart, keep my six foot distance, exhale covid a mere 8", the customer that was 10 feet behind me walks into the area I vacated, inhales the air I exhaled (which does happen) the virus was just transmitted.
                      If you’re sick enough that you’re coughing five times in a row you shouldn’t be at Wal Mart.

Comment

This.

I dont care if people wear masks. I dont care if a store requires masks. I wear a mask at Menards, it's their policy. I choose not to wear one otherwise simply because evidence shows that they are ineffective.

I have never shamed anyone for wearing a mask. I have, however, warned my mother and others that masks, at best do little.
                        I didn't wear a mask in Home Depot a couple of weeks ago and an old lady gave me some serious 'Greta' stink eye...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

If you’re sick enough that you’re coughing five times in a row you shouldn’t be at Wal Mart.
                          Just where did you get that from that post??????????????????

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post

I didn't wear a mask in Home Depot a couple of weeks ago and an old lady gave me some serious 'Greta' stink eye...

My wife gets stressed when she has to go to the store and sees people without masks. She doesn’t yell at them, she yells at me.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post

Just where did you get that from that post??????????????????
                              The study we have been discussing the last two pages refers to what is on a mask after someone coughs 5 times in a row. It didn’t investigate the effects of simply breathing therefore its conclusions can only be applied to real life scenarios that closely mirror those that were observed in the study.

Comment

The study we have been discussing the last two pages refers to what is on a mask after someone coughs 5 times in a row. It didn’t investigate the effects of simply breathing therefore its conclusions can only be applied to real life scenarios that closely mirror those that were observed in the study.
                                Then quote that. This particular post gave a real life type of example. Argue it on it's own merits.

Comment

Working...
                                X