No announcement yet.

Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I don't remeber names for sure but lets just say that there will be an international flavor to the roster. Jody is working on several more additions and stated she is going global to get the kind of players that usually end up at the big name schools.

Comment

• Originally posted by Pigman View Post
      I don't remeber names for sure but lets just say that there will be an international flavor to the roster. Jody is working on several more additions and stated she is going global to get the kind of players that usually end up at the big name schools.
      The kid or kids are from Russia. The current team has seen one of them and all say nothing special. They are listed very big and come in for a visit at 5-8 according to the players; at least the one Russian who visited.

Comment

• Certain number of young ladies or she only focused on filling gaps that are needs? Very intrigued to hear because I really want our ladies to continue to compete and be a team that people respect and acknowledge.

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
          Certain number of young ladies or she only focused on filling gaps that are needs? Very intrigued to hear because I really want our ladies to continue to compete and be a team that people respect and acknowledge.
          No reason to believe we won't be able to compete quite well, at least at the Valley level, next year with what we have returning based on what we think we know at this point regarding departures (Price, Jones, Preston and Agnello). Yes, we could use a post presence, but that won't necessarily make us or break us in Valley play.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
            No reason to believe we won't be able to compete quite well, at least at the Valley level, next year with what we have returning based on what we think we know at this point regarding departures (Price, Jones, Preston and Agnello). Yes, we could use a post presence, but that won't necessarily make us or break us in Valley play.
            Writing strictly as a former coach and player, the post presence is nice, but with our current roster isn't a necessity. For you old timers, remember 6-5 Elgin Baylor or 6-5 Adrian Dantly dominating inside? Ever seen 5-10/5-11 (Yes she isn't even 6-0 just wears 6" heals) Bridgette Gordon dominate the paint against 6-4? There is something to be said for speed and attacking the rim. On the very few occasions we attacked the rim against Penn State and their 6-5 slow big, she fouled we went to the line or we just flat out scored. For some reason we kept getting away from that and launching threes which was successful in doses, but not when we were in a big drought. Alex is good enough to take it to the rim against anyone. A healthy Kelsey can as well if she just does it and not every fifth game. Most of the bigs we would attract are most likely going to be projects. A legit 6-4, 6-5 or 6-6 is going to the top five teams in the country; as will the 6-3 wide body.

Comment

• We need to focus on bigs IMO,that has been our weakness to me. Need for our guards to stay aggressive and be willing to compete at their best level

Comment

We need to focus on bigs IMO,that has been our weakness to me. Need for our guards to stay aggressive and be willing to compete at their best level
                I agree, teams with big girls are the thing right now. One of these foreigners is still in question, have heard that Baylor has become interested.

Comment

• Any names of the ladies?

Comment

Any names of the ladies?
                    I think a good quality big would be nice. Three thoughts, we've had some projects who don't last (Remember Shannika listed below) and Morgan from this year? It is a small world, not only is it tough to get a kid to be a project with a chance to maybe get minutes in her Junior or senior year, but those who leave talk and most likely describe their experience and discourage another big project to come to WSU. The other thought is, I don't know if we tell these bigger kids they are projects and probably won't see the floor until years down the road, so they come in with high expectations and then sit and then leave or get told to leave.

My prediction (strictly my opinion with no facts to base it on) HCJA coaches next year, wins the Valley and moves on. The team that is left will be in a major rebuilding year.

#32 Shannika Bryant
                    Position: Center
                    Height: 6'4"
                    Year: Freshman
                    Hometown: Chicago, Ill.
                    High School: St. Joseph High School
                    Experience: High School

Comment

• Per varsity Kansas Ericka Mattingly from South has verbally committed to WSU. She is a great player and in my opinion, an amazing pick-up for Jody Adams.

Comment

• Originally posted by luvthoseshox View Post
                        Per varsity Kansas Ericka Mattingly from South has verbally committed to WSU. She is a great player and in my opinion, an amazing pick-up for Jody Adams.
                        A decent guard with a nice game. Of course this is two years down the road and verbals are just that, verbals; anything can happen, but her coach likes the idea of local kids staying local so hopefully she comes and has a terrific career.

Comment

• Originally posted by luvthoseshox View Post
                          Per varsity Kansas Ericka Mattingly from South has verbally committed to WSU. She is a great player and in my opinion, an amazing pick-up for Jody Adams.

Ericka is just a sophomore point guard and in the class of 2016, so this is an early commit. Her only offers to date have been from the Shocks and from Pitt State. Of course, at this early juncture that may not mean to much. OTOH, we have a ways to go until Ericka's verbal is fulfilled. Not sure how big Ericka is although as a sophomore she may not be done growing anyway.

Interesting that Ericka was attracted to Wichita State because of their up-tempo style. Kind of the opposite of how South plays according to Bob Lutz. However, he does call Ericka unflappable.

I believe Jody also has made offers (made some time ago) to Ericka's teammates. 6-0 Junior Kirea Rogers (Class of 2015) and 6-2 Soph Kendrian Elliott (Class of 2016).

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                            http://www.varsitykansas.com/2014/04...gly-makes.html

Ericka is just a sophomore point guard and in the class of 2016, so this is an early commit. Her only offers to date have been from the Shocks and from Pitt State. Of course, at this early juncture that may not mean to much. OTOH, we have a ways to go until Ericka's verbal is fulfilled. Not sure how big Ericka is although as a sophomore she may not be done growing anyway.

Interesting that Ericka was attracted to Wichita State because of their up-tempo style. Kind of the opposite of how South plays according to Bob Lutz. However, he does call Ericka unflappable.

I believe Jody also has made offers (made some time ago) to Ericka's teammates. 6-0 Junior Kirea Rogers (Class of 2015) and 6-2 Soph Kendrian Elliott (Class of 2016).
                            Coaches make verbal offers regularly. The kids can say yes and then not commit and the coaches can offer then change their mind. Nothing is formal until a contract is signed. Still good to see local recruiting.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                              Coaches make verbal offers regularly. The kids can say yes and then not commit and the coaches can offer then change their mind. Nothing is formal until a contract is signed. Still good to see local recruiting.
                              That is why I said we have a long ways to go until Erickas' verbal is fulfilled. I understand that Ericka can not sign a letter of intent until April 2016 at the earliest and that Jody can withdraw her offer and Ericka can withdraw her commitment at anytime prior to the signing of the letter.

If Ericka blows up in the next couple of years who knows what other offers may be coming her way that could change her mind or if she just becomes a little less family oriented as teenagerism starts to consume her and she just wants to get away from home and spread her wings as the majority of scholarship athletes tend to do. I certainly don't have this one in the done deal column.

But I agree that it's nice to see at least an attempt to recruit local kids. As the article pointed out the last City League player to sign with the Lady Shocks was Taylor Steven in 2004. It appears Jody believes she needs to get on the local kids early to have any chance to keep them home.
                              Last edited by 1972Shocker; April 23, 2014, 08:53 PM.

Comment

• Wow. Maybe this news splash isn't great and looking at news with balance is necessary, but nothing like throwing a wet blanket on it. Maybe they should have just kept it under wraps. If the commitment does hold, it sounds like an important one.

Comment

Working...
                                X