Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocker Women Recruiting?

What's the view of the recruiting for the women's team looking at any new players outside allie and the other recruit.....we goin for bigs,are we looking at any pure pgs????

I don't have any info on Shocker recruiting but 5'8" G Katie Palmer (Class of 2013) out of Wichtia Heights has verballed to MSU. She is Heights leading scorer at 13.8 PPG.

Not sure if the Shocks recruited her or not. We are not mentioned in the article.

MSU has been known to pluck some quality talent out of Kansas.

Comment

MSU has been more successful with Kansas players than we have.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
        MSU has been more successful with Kansas players than we have.
        Yeah, when it comes to Kansas talent it seems like the pecking order is KSU, KU, MSU and then maybe WSU.

I know a lot of kids want to go away to college and that is understandable. Not much you can do in those circumstances unless the hometown team has a very successful program and tradition. The Lady Shocks have neither unfortunately.

I think WSU's campus puts the MSU campus to shame. I was very unimpressed with the MSU campus. Just seemed very bland and sterile. Granted they do have a football program which may or may not be a big deal to any specific recruit.

One place WSU needs to really upgrade IMHO is their student housing facilities. Not sure how we compare to MSU in that regard but it's hard to believe they don't have at least a little advantage in that area.

What MSU does have when it comes to women's basketball is a great tradition and excellent fan support. Their women used to routinely outdraw their men especially during the Jackie Stiles days. It has dropped off a lot since then but they still drew 3,900 and 3,100 for their games against Creighton and Drake last week.

WSU routinely reports attendance in the 1,300 to 1,500 range but we rarely break 1,000 in actual attendance. I'm sure they are hoping to draw 3,000 to 4,000 with the free ticket promotion for Saturday's big game against MSU. But that right there is probably the big recruiting advantage MSU has over the Shocks. They can take recruit to about any of their women's games and have 3,000 to 4,000 fans in the seats. They close off the upper bowl in JQH Arena and those crowds look pretty good to a recruit. Most Shocker games have around 600-800 fans in the seats, sometimes less.

If Shocker fans will get behind this program in a meaningful way it has to help recruiting which helps to build tradition which helps recruiting which helps build tradition, etc, etc. It also can contribute towards attracting and retaining quality coaches.

My hope is we will get a nice crowd Saturday, the Ladies will play well (not necessarily win, but play well and hard) and maybe we can start building a successful program. The team seems to be finally doing their part. Now it's time for Shocker Nation to show its mettle.

:poster_shocks:
        Last edited by 1972Shocker; January 12, 2012, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
          Yeah, when it comes to Kansas talent it seems like the pecking order is KSU, KU, MSU and then maybe WSU.

I know a lot of kids want to go away to college and that is understandable. Not much you can do in those circumstances unless the hometown team has a very successful program and tradition. The Lady Shocks have neither unfortunately.

I think WSU's campus puts the MSU campus to shame. I was very unimpressed with the MSU campus. Just seemed very bland and sterile. Granted they do have a football program which may or may not be a big deal to any specific recruit.

One place WSU needs to really upgrade IMHO is their student housing facilities. Not sure how we compare to MSU in that regard but it's hard to believe they don't have at least a little advantage in that area.

What MSU does have when it comes to women's basketball is a great tradition and excellent fan support. Their women used to routinely outdraw their men especially during the Jackie Stiles days. It has dropped off a lot since then but they still drew 3,900 and 3,100 for their games against Creighton and Drake last week.

WSU routinely reports attendance in the 1,300 to 1,500 range but we rarely break 1,000 in actual attendance. I'm sure they are hoping to draw 3,000 to 4,000 with the free ticket promotion for Saturday's big game against MSU. But that right there is probably the big recruiting advantage MSU has over the Shocks. They can take recruit to about any of their women's games and have 3,000 to 4,000 fans in the seats. They close off the upper bowl in JQH Arena and those crowds look pretty good to a recruit. Most Shocker games have around 600-800 fans in the seats, sometimes less.

If Shocker fans will get behind this program in a meaningful way it has to help recruiting which helps to build tradition which helps recruiting which helps build tradition, etc, etc. It also can contribute towards attracting and retaining quality coaches.

My hope is we will get a nice crowd Saturday, the Ladies will play well (not necessarily win, but play well and hard) and maybe we can start building a successful program. The team seems to be finally doing their part. Now it's time for Shocker Nation to show its mettle.

:poster_shocks:
          If they continue to win, people will come.

"Ray, people will come Ray."
          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Hopefully, they will continue to win and we will get to test that hypothesis.

Recruiting local talent couldn't hurt any either although that's a chicken and egg conundrum.

Love to find us another Angela Buckner. We do have Darice Fountaine, another KMC product, eligible next year.

Comment

They could checkout the olathe teams,andover,andover central,some city league teams....actually the could go to the game Friday nite with heights vs east,its a yung lady name relina johnson and she is a baller!!! Also heights still has lynch who is a shooter aswell. As far as height not too many teams. Southeast has cheynne bullock who is 6'2 and derby has a couple bigs,but difference makers should bethe theme. We are goin be pretty thin after 2012. So I hope coach and staff are looking in kansas,texas,fla,and oklahoma.....actually its some pretty good athletes with the juco teams in kansas! Go shox

Comment

We have a good rebounder Michelle Price back for two more years, Daurice can shoot and yes it would be nice to have big wide body true center.

Comment

That will be a huge need by 2013! Go shox

Comment

So I take it that there is nothing new on the recruiting front? The young woman relina johnson from east high would be a great 2013 addition

Comment

Recruiting

I went to the last WSU WBB home game on a Sunday. I along with a friend sat about 6-7 rows up behind the WSU team bench. When we arrived at the game, we noticed the 1st 4 rows there were cordoned off with yellow tape. Soon, all of the rows filled up with young high school aged girls who seemed taller than average. It looked like there were several parents in the group. As they arrived, one of the WSU assistant coaches greeted them. I think there are 9 seats per row & 4 rows were filled. I estimate 6 of those people were parents, so that means there were about 30 girls there. I saw some of them out by the concession stand at the half & they were wearing letter jackets - some from out of town & out of state. My guess is that they were recruit prospects who probably came here on their own to check things out. With that many on hand, most of them were probably high school juniors, but that is only an assumption. If there were any high school seniors in the group, there was no way to tell.

Comment

At one of the recent games, perhaps the one @xazshox: is referring to, I saw a bunch of Edmond (OK, I assume) gear on some girls. The whole team came to watch?
                        Last edited by flyingMoose; March 1, 2012, 01:08 PM.

Comment

Is that Ms. Decker's team?

Comment

Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                            Is that Ms. Decker's team?
                            Good catch. I did not think of that possibility.

Comment

Molly O' Brien was a member of that team last year aswell.

Comment

Working...
                              X