No announcement yet.

Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What is hurting is while we have GREAT girls, we have lake that killer instinct. That ability to put in the Extra Effort required to be elite.

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
      What is hurting is while we have GREAT girls, we have lake that killer instinct. That ability to put in the Extra Effort required to be elite.
      l

I beg to differ. I might agree with at times a lack of killer instinct; never a lack of effort. They work, in my opinion, too hard on conditioning and not enough on basketball skills. I think they train so hard and are pushed so hard, and told what they are not good at, they lack confidence; hence, lack of killer instinct. As I have have stated, the assistant coaches have been positive; we'll see during real practice.

Comment

• I dont like your negative attitude. I am tired of always bashing our womens basketball coaches

Comment

• Saw some of the girls today,they look like they are in great shape. Really hope this season is sspecial and ends up helping us out more with recruiting

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
            l

I beg to differ. I might agree with at times a lack of killer instinct; never a lack of effort. They work, in my opinion, too hard on conditioning and not enough on basketball skills. I think they train so hard and are pushed so hard, and told what they are not good at, they lack confidence; hence, lack of killer instinct. As I have have stated, the assistant coaches have been positive; we'll see during real practice.
            You watch the practice facility and there is ALWAYS a few of the guys after practice, before practice, and on days off. They are shooting and working on drills together.

How many times have you seen the girls do that?

Comment

• Originally posted by Downtown Shocker Brown View Post
              You watch the practice facility and there is ALWAYS a few of the guys after practice, before practice, and on days off. They are shooting and working on drills together.

How many times have you seen the girls do that?
              During the summer they played regular "pick up" games and would shoot after they played in the practice facility. During the season, I don't know as I just pop in now and then. I do know most guys who play ball, want to work on their game as much as they can. There are books written about it; Larry Bird and his 10,000 shots per day, Pistol Pete and his ball handling drills. Michael Jordan shooting past mid-night on his dirt court as a kid. I don't see or hear much of that in the women's game.

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                Saw some of the girls today,they look like they are in great shape. Really hope this season is sspecial and ends up helping us out more with recruiting
                I couldn't agree more. As I have said, I just hope the coaches put rest into the equation, especially during MVC play.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                  During the summer they played regular "pick up" games and would shoot after they played in the practice facility. During the season, I don't know as I just pop in now and then. I do know most guys who play ball, want to work on their game as much as they can. There are books written about it; Larry Bird and his 10,000 shots per day, Pistol Pete and his ball handling drills. Michael Jordan shooting past mid-night on his dirt court as a kid. I don't see or hear much of that in the women's game.
                  Jackie Stiles was legendary for her work ethic. But it may have actually shortened her career in the long run. Men's physiology is such that their bodies may be a little bit better at holding up to the strain of sustained, long-term heavy work.

In any case, I don't think anyone is proposing that Jody just stops working the Lady Shocks but that she adjust the workload as the year goes on to save the legs. Lessening both the intensity and time spent on conditioning but still doing an adequate maintenance regime. Spend more time on the mental aspects of the game, team bonding and perhpas even try to make things fun. I think Jody is continuing to grow and learn as a head coach. She is still a very young head coach in terms of experience.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                    Jackie Stiles was legendary for her work ethic. But it may have actually shortened her career in the long run. Men's physiology is such that their bodies may be a little bit better at holding up to the strain of sustained, long-term heavy work.

In any case, I don't think anyone is proposing that Jody just stops working the Lady Shocks but that she adjust the workload as the year goes on to save the legs. Lessening both the intensity and time spent on conditioning but still doing an adequate maintenance regime. Spend more time on the mental aspects of the game, team bonding and perhpas even try to make things fun. I think Jody is continuing to grow and learn as a head coach. She is still a very young head coach in terms of experience.
                    You sum it up so well 1972. I thought I was reading a quote from Coach Wooden, but I know he is not with us physically. Well said again. Jody is young, wants to do it right and is trying to figure it out. she is by surrounding herself with with Kirk, Bridgette and we hope Dana. I believe we are on our way. Just know what you have, some players need hard pushing, some more nurturing, some are more physically fragile, it is not a cookie cutter approach, which she has done in her first few years.

Comment

• I've been lurking for a while. I don't have the history that some have on here, but it seems like a lot of people worried about over working the athletes. True great athletes overwork themselves, sometimes too much. I find it hard to believe that anyone on this coaching staff is going to ask more of their players then they themselves haven't already done. They have been there and done that. I can't imagine the girls at UCONN going through any less conditioning then the Shockers girls.
                      I think WSU has the best hired staff in the MVC from what I have seen and maybe we should just let them do their job since we didn't get hired for it.

Comment

• Teaching these young ladies a great work ethic,I see us goin 8 or 9 deep this year. Only thing that really intrigues me is who is the x factors for our team??? Imo I say kelsey and darice......

Comment

• Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
                          I've been lurking for a while. I don't have the history that some have on here, but it seems like a lot of people worried about over working the athletes. True great athletes overwork themselves, sometimes too much. I find it hard to believe that anyone on this coaching staff is going to ask more of their players then they themselves haven't already done. They have been there and done that. I can't imagine the girls at UCONN going through any less conditioning then the Shockers girls.
                          I think WSU has the best hired staff in the MVC from what I have seen and maybe we should just let them do their job since we didn't get hired for it.
                          Considering the number of girls that have transfered out and what some of us have heard from those who have been in the program, the reason for concern is very valid. We all hope for the best, but there have been a number of red flags that make you pause and watch what's going on.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
                            Perhaps this staff should win at least one MVC Championship and earn an NCAA Tournament Trip before we start proclaiming them the best staff in the MVC. If they can do that, which is something no other Shocker women's team has done at all, then maybe we can start proclaiming them the best staff WSU has assembled. Actually, the current staff really has no history as a staff since Jody made two major changes to the staff this year. There is some basis for arguing the previous staff of Jody Adams, Kristy Guffey, Carlai Moore and Bridgette Gordon has been the most successful in Shocker history based on winning percentage. Hopefully, this new staff will live up to your accolades, but they certainly have not earned those accolades yet.

I assume you are familiar with Dana Eikenberg's history at SIU. I hope she works out great as a Shocker assistant but her hiring certainly raised more than a few eyebrows. Kirk Crawford seems like a solid hire of a career assistant with a variety of experiences. Bridgette Gordon's pedigree as a player pretty much speaks for itself in terms of great success. I can see Bridgette being a very good recruiter, although we have not yet seen the Shockers nab that Wow! level recruit.

I think this staff has some good material to work with this year. It will be interesting to see if the changes Jody has made to her staff will take us up a notch or two in on-the-court results. Next year will certainly be a challenge also with 5 seniors moving on.

Should we let the coaches do their job. Of course we should. However, I have heard of no reports that any fan has attempted to prevent the Shocker coaches from doing their jobs. Should we as fans be allowed to express our opinions and hold the coaching staff accountable for their performance, the treatment of athletes entrusted to their care and the way they represent our University and our community. Absolutely, we have that right and perhaps that responsibility.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 1, 2012, 02:37 PM.

Comment

Perhaps this staff should win at least one MVC Championship and earn an NCAA Tournament Trip before we start proclaiming them the best staff in the MVC. If they can do that, which is something no other Shocker women's team has done at all, then maybe we can start proclaiming them the best staff WSU has assembled. Actually, the current staff really has no history as a staff since Jody made two major changes to the staff this year. There is some basis for arguing the previous staff of Jody Adams, Kristy Guffey, Carlai Moore and Bridgette Gordon has been the most successful in Shocker history based on winning percentage. Hopefully, this new staff will live up to your accolades, but they certainly have not earned those accolades yet.

I assume you are familiar with Dana Eikenberg's history at SIU. I hope she works out great as a Shocker assistant but her hiring certainly raised more than a few eyebrows. Kirk Crawford seems like a solid hire of a career assistant with a variety of experiences. Bridgette Gordon's pedigree as a player pretty much speaks for itself in terms of great success. I can see Bridgette being a very good recruiter, although we have not yet seen the Shockers nab that Wow! level recruit.

I think this staff has some good material to work with this year. It will be interesting to see if the changes Jody has made to her staff will take us up a notch or two in on-the-court results. Next year will certainly be a challenge also with 5 seniors moving on.

Should we let the coaches do their job. Of course we should. However, I have heard of no reports that any fan has attempted to prevent the Shocker coaches from doing their jobs. Should we as fans be allowed to express our opinions and hold the coaching staff accountable for their performance, the treatment of athletes entrusted to their care and the way they represent our University and our community. Absolutely, we have that right and perhaps that responsibility.
                              BINGO!!! As always, 1972 hitting the nail on the head. Well done!

Comment

Well, I don't believe I ask anyone else to start proclaiming them as the best staff in the MVC. I consider them the best not based on their coaching record but on what they have individually accomplished. Does anyone know another coaching staff in the MVC with more?

I am familiar with Dana's history. Since being a MVC Championship team is high on the list I would think she would be getting some brownie points. From what I hear its looks like she had two options. Make the team happy or win a championship. Obviously she did what she needed to do to win the championship since that what she was hired for.

It's easy to look in from the outside and point out all the problems. It's much tougher to be on the inside and try to control all the factors involved.

To me, just because some leave a program doesn't mean much. The Navy Seals training program has a 80% failure rate. Would you consider their program a failure just because 80% of them quit? You are not going to make everyone happy. I think the real key is to get the most out of what you have, and recruiting the best you can get. However, as a mid-major D1, your not going to get the big D1 players. On top of that society in general has changed. There just isn't the same type of athletes, or not as many of them, as there was when Jody or Bridgette played.

My original point was, I don't think they are being worked too hard. I doubt all the athletes stayed in the same shape they were in when last season ended and with all the NCCA rules, coaches don't have much time to get them where they need to be. Conditioning is going to be tough, period, and when everyone gets on here all worried about the athletes working too hard and continually bashing the coaches, it only makes it easier for the athletes to feel justified that they are being worked too hard and to second guess what the coach is trying to do. The athletes read these forums as well and if everyone on here wants to have a good season, they need to remember that.

I don't believe you are going to find a better group of coaches and athletes for the job, and if the coaches can keep the girls on target it's going to be a very good season.

Comment

Working...
                                X