No announcement yet.

Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The being worked to hard comes from them looking exhausted halfway through the season. Are you saying that haven't been worked hard enough and they didn't have the proper conditioning? And your comparison to the Seals doesn't really work. High turnover in college sports isn't a good thing.
    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• I'm saying,

My original point was, I don't think they are being worked too hard. I doubt all the athletes stayed in the same shape they were in when last season ended and with all the NCCA rules, coaches don't have much time to get them where they need to be. Conditioning is going to be tough, period, and when everyone gets on here all worried about the athletes working too hard and continually bashing the coaches, it only makes it easier for the athletes to feel justified that they are being worked too hard and to second guess what the coach is trying to do. The athletes read these forums as well and if everyone on here wants to have a good season, they need to remember that.

Comment

• Sure, right now they should be worked hard. The point others were making is that it seems that Jody never backs off all season and wears them out. I don't follow the women all that closely as it's not in the budget. But I've heard from numerous people that the girls look worn out way too early in the season. If that continues, they're never going to win a title. Intense preseason workouts are expected. But they don't continue all season. Or shouldn't.
        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
          Sure, right now they should be worked hard. The point others were making is that it seems that Jody never backs off all season and wears them out. I don't follow the women all that closely as it's not in the budget. But I've heard from numerous people that the girls look worn out way too early in the season. If that continues, they're never going to win a title. Intense preseason workouts are expected. But they don't continue all season. Or shouldn't.
          Exactly. Another example of pushing too hard is Kelsey complained of back pain, was told to tough it out until a doctor said get an MRI and she had a stress fracture in her low back and got a medical redshirt; Jaz complained of knee problems, "Tough it out" now she is out after knee surgery. Michelle same thing with chest pains, then missed the season. Two years ago they sometimes had full blown practices the day of a game. I don't think this is the practice any longer. Bottom line, you want a well conditioned, well trained and prepared team on the court each game. Having played at a high level and ending a season weighing 20 lbs. lighter than I started, I can attest to how grueling it can be and how important rest is. You don't lose your conditioning in one day. This is a learning process for the players and the coaches. It's not like Jody has been coaching for 20 years. She's learning and I see her growth. This season will say a lot of where program is and will be going.

Comment

• Why dont you guys let up. You have made your points. If recruits ever read this we never will sign anyone. If you want the job apply for it

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock View Post
              Why dont you guys let up. You have made your points. If recruits ever read this we never will sign anyone. If you want the job apply for it
              What's wrong with expressing concerns? I'd rather a recruit not come here than sign and stay a year before finding out what things are really like. If you don't want to hear what the fan base thinks, don't read a fan message board.
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by wushock View Post
                Why dont you guys let up. You have made your points. If recruits ever read this we never will sign anyone. If you want the job apply for it
                Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by NolenKemp View Post
                  Exactly.
                  I'm done for now. The lurkers aren't understanding the spirit in which all of this intended. Fans who support the Lady Shox and want the best for them. Official practice started today. I'll give a report later. Or, I may just get tired of being an old guy having a little fun and quit this non-sense.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                    I'm done for now. The lurkers aren't understanding the spirit in which all of this intended. Fans who support the Lady Shox and want the best for them. Official practice started today. I'll give a report later. Or, I may just get tired of being an old guy having a little fun and quit this non-sense.
                    Don't quit because some don't comprehend
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                      Don't quit because some don't comprehend
                      I won't, I was just tired. See I told you rest is good :-)

Comment

I won't, I was just tired. See I told you rest is good :-)
                        I should try getting more of it I suppose
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

• Well, I don't believe I ask anyone else to start proclaiming them as the best staff in the MVC. I consider them the best not based on their coaching record but on what they have individually accomplished.
                          No one said you asked anyone to start proclaiming this coaching staff the best. Ok, you consider them the best MVC coaching staff as long as you don't have to evaluate their MVC coaching record. I get that.

I am familiar with Dana's history. Since being a MVC Championship team is high on the list I would think she would be getting some brownie points.
                          She won a championship then was fired two years later leaving a program in total shambles. To me that makes what happened at SIU even worse coming on the heels of a championship.

From what I hear its looks like she had two options. Make the team happy or win a championship. Obviously she did what she needed to do to win the championship since that what she was hired for.
                          That comes across as a win at any and all costs, the ends justify the means, attitude. It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it. I don't buy into that philosophy. I think how you do things is just as important was what you accomplish.

The Navy Seals training program has a 80% failure rate. Would you consider their program a failure just because 80% of them quit?
                          I would consider WSU women's basketball program and any other college WBB proram a huge failure if 80% of their recruits quit. In fact, they would be a huge failure. Show me one successful college WBB program where they lose 80% of each year's recruiting class.

You are not going to make everyone happy. I think the real key is to get the most out of what you have, and recruiting the best you can get.
                          That point we can agree on.

I don't believe you are going to find a better group of coaches and athletes for the job, and if the coaches can keep the girls on target it's going to be a very good season.
                          I too am hoping for a breakthrough season. Which for me is winning our first MVC Championship. I'm not ready to predict that will happen, but we have as good a shot this year as we have ever had, assuming Jaz Gordon makes a full recovery and we avoid any other key injuries.

Comment

I'm always available by PM to discuss things with you OTWHC.
                            Last edited by 1972Shocker; October 4, 2012, 10:15 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              No one said you asked anyone to start proclaiming this coaching staff the best. Ok, you consider them the best MVC coaching staff as long as you don't have to evaluate their MVC coaching record. I get that.

She won a championship then was fired two years later leaving a program in total shambles. To me that makes what happened at SIU even worse coming on the heels of a championship.

That comes across as a win at any and all costs, the ends justify the means, attitude. It doesn't matter how you do it, just do it. I don't buy into that philosophy. I think how you do things is just as important was what you accomplish.

I would consider WSU women's basketball program and any other college WBB proram a huge failure if 80% of their recruits quit. In fact, they would be a huge failure. Show me one successful college WBB program where they lose 80% of each year's recruiting class.

That point we can agree on.

I too am hoping for a breakthrough season. Which for me is winning our first MVC Championship. I'm not ready to predict that will happen, but we have as good a shot this year as we have ever had, assuming Jaz Gordon makes a full recovery and we avoid any other key injuries.
                              e t
                              2nd day of full blown practice. Jaz is actually working out. She hits the bike when doing hard cutting drills. Alex and Jessie look good in the back court. I think Kelsey as the X factor is true. She is very strong and confident. The two freshman are presently out of their league. The veterans just blow by them on drives. Ali can shoot. So far I see a team that came to their official practice in shape and wanting to win. Jody was very positive. All of the coaches had a very positive approach. Worked them hard. I'll keep popping in from time to time and give a report. They practice either late afternoon or morning; it can very, but it is open to the public.

Comment

• Turnover

I'm not tracking with the comment about the 80 % turnover! What does that have to do with the WSU WBB program? The record shows that the turnover each year for the past 3 years is pretty comprobable to what it has been for the WSU men's basketball program except for the 1st year.

And, I keep seeing comments about assistant coach, Dana Eikenberg. Have those of you wondering about her ever bothered to read her bio on Go Shockers under Women's basketball? It's pretty impressive. Jody is on record publicly where she said she is very happy to have Dana on her staff. Based on the kind of recruiting class that is coming here in 2013 that I alluded to earlier, I'd have to say that Jody's staff has done extremely well in that regard.

Comment

Working...
                                X