Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
    2013 will indeed but tough,but I like our team an wont overlook them. We will win the valley,gotta stay consistant through the year.
    I like your outlook but I can't see us winning the valley with our guards right now. We are gonna have to rely on our posts a lot (Jazimen, Michelle, Chyna, Alex) and we don't have anyone other than jess that can stretch the D. And that's gonna be hard for her to do if shes our point guard all year. Teams will be able to lay back in a zone and collapse on our bigs. And I'm not sure Jess can hold up playing 40 min a game all year.

Comment

• We have some true shooters coming in with decker,micheala,and darice.....though they arent considerd pgs like a henderson,dawkins,or a mallory. But I think we arent done for the 2012 year just yet, a point guard and another big and we can begin to move forward. I like o brien,harden, and jones because they are hustle players. I believe them having that 1st year under there belt really helps us,cant wait to see how we fair as a team

Comment

We have some true shooters coming in with decker,micheala,and darice.....though they arent considerd pgs like a henderson,dawkins,or a mallory. But I think we arent done for the 2012 year just yet, a point guard and another big and we can begin to move forward. I like o brien,harden, and jones because they are hustle players. I believe them having that 1st year under there belt really helps us,cant wait to see how we fair as a team
        Who is Mallory? Darice shot well in her last year at Savannah State yes, so hopefully she can come in and spread the floor a bit. I'm not worried about needing another big for next year. We already have 5 quality players there (Michelle, Jaz, Alex, Chyna, and Kelsey). I love Alex's game. Hopefully Molly spends the summer working on face up jumpers. And "Bugs" Jones was used primarily for defense last year. Michaela played mostly post at Branson with an occasional step-out jumper or 3. So i wouldn't call her a true shooter. And Decker shot well but the learning curve for women's basketball freshman can be slow at times. I cant see us signing anything other than a junior college player to fill a gap as well have done the last few years. This late though i worry about the quality of said player, that we may just be signing because we need bodies. unlike the mens' program, the women dont have the luxury of being too full right now. We have one player with experience bringing the ball down the floor. and she isn't even a true point guard. So who runs the point if Jess gets tired? hurt? or picks up fouls? And who's to say other players don't follow Guffey and Moore out the door. In most cases it isn't made public until months after the coaches know who's leaving. Alex is an excellent recruit. But since next years seniors recruiting class, Jody hasn't replaced much. We lose 6 after next year, and will have very few players with quality Division one minutes. The lady shox have got to parlay their recent success into recruiting success. Unfortunately I haven't seen that happening.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shox1979 View Post
          Who is Mallory? Darice shot well in her last year at Savannah State yes, so hopefully she can come in and spread the floor a bit. I'm not worried about needing another big for next year. We already have 5 quality players there (Michelle, Jaz, Alex, Chyna, and Kelsey). I love Alex's game. Hopefully Molly spends the summer working on face up jumpers. And "Bugs" Jones was used primarily for defense last year. Michaela played mostly post at Branson with an occasional step-out jumper or 3. So i wouldn't call her a true shooter. And Decker shot well but the learning curve for women's basketball freshman can be slow at times. I cant see us signing anything other than a junior college player to fill a gap as well have done the last few years. This late though i worry about the quality of said player, that we may just be signing because we need bodies. unlike the mens' program, the women dont have the luxury of being too full right now. We have one player with experience bringing the ball down the floor. and she isn't even a true point guard. So who runs the point if Jess gets tired? hurt? or picks up fouls? And who's to say other players don't follow Guffey and Moore out the door. In most cases it isn't made public until months after the coaches know who's leaving. Alex is an excellent recruit. But since next years seniors recruiting class, Jody hasn't replaced much. We lose 6 after next year, and will have very few players with quality Division one minutes. The lady shox have got to parlay their recent success into recruiting success. Unfortunately I haven't seen that happening.
          Just to show you my tip is correct, here is a blurb from the Kansas City Star below, though it is incorrect on the number of years Guffey coached at WSU.

Coaching carousel: After two seasons at Bishop Ward, Todd Magwire was hired Tuesday as the new boys basketball coach at Winnetonka in North Kansas City. Prior to his stint with the Cyclones, Magwire coached O’Hara to the Missouri Class 4 state title in 2005, but he isn’t the only coach on the move. SM Northwest is looking for a new football coach after Aaron Barnett resigned to take an administrative job within the district. Two Missouri schools also announced new girls basketball coaches: Wichita State assistant coach Kristy Guffey is taking over the Lee’s Summit West program, and Staley assistant coach Sherry Butts has been handed the reins at Staley. Guffey, a St. Louis native, led Notre Dame de Sion to back-to-back Missouri Class 3A state titles in 2001 and 2002 before jumping to the college ranks with Fort Scott Community College and Missouri State before spending one season with the Shockers. Butts played with outgoing coach Melissa Krog Savaiinaea at Central Methodist in the late 1990s.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/2012/05/10...#storylink=cpy

Comment

• Wow,what the heck is goin on???

Comment

Wow,what the heck is goin on???
              Not sure you really want to know....
              Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
              RIP Guy Always A Shocker
              Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
              ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
              Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
              Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• The program may be heading right back into the abyss. At least thats how it appears to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22 View Post
                  Not sure you really want to know....
                  Do you know more? Please, give us some positive news :-)

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
                    Do you know more? Please, give us some positive news :-)
                    I don't know anything. Just reading tea leaves from the outside...
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
                      The program may be heading right back into the abyss. At least thats how it appears to me.
                      Not sure I'm quite ready to make that declaration although I have to admit my antenna went up when Jody added Dana Eikenberg to her staff as Dobo which seemd kind of odd to me at the time. Could be Jody had decided that changes on her staff were needed and that was just a precursor of the staff changes we are seeing now. Perhaps Jody was just not satisfied with the recruiting work Kristy and Carlai were doing and pushed them out. Maybe Dana will be a recruiting dynamo, time will tell. I have to say I am a little leary of Dana based on the turmoil she had at SIU and the poor condition she left that program in when she left. If we do start losing a lot of players then we may very well be back into a downward spiral. It's interesting that Kristy is heading back to the high school ranks, although maybe she had little choice. Who knows. In any case, if player retention becomes an ongoing and growing issue then we do have a problem.

Next year we have 5 seniors to replace (would have been 6 if not for Michelle sitting out last year). We will have nothing resembling a point guard coming back after next year. While juco recruiting can work well for the men I am not sure that works well in the women's game. Our forays into the juco ranks have yielded so-so results at best. I think on the women's side you need to focus on 4-year players and retain them and develop them. An occasional Juco may be OK but you need to be very selective. Transfers from 4-year programs can work but those can't really be planned. They kind of fall into your lap and you adjust your recruiting accordingly. Hopefully, Darice works out well.

I'm in a wait and see mode at the present.
                      Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2012, 03:33 PM.

Comment

• On the bright side Jody is now the the all-time leader among Shocker women's basketball coaches in winning percentage at 0.527 (68-61) and with 4 more wins she would move into second place in career wins behind Linda Hargrove, our longest tenured coach at 9 years.

And Jody wasn't exactly handed the keys to a well oiled, finely tuned machine. In 4 years she has already won 20 more games than her predecessor won in 5 years. So there has definitely been some bottom-line improvement. Assuming no additional attrition on the roster of significance we should be solid next year. Where we go from there will tell the tale.
                        Last edited by 1972Shocker; May 14, 2012, 03:11 PM.

Comment

Wow,what the heck is goin on???
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Just have to have a good season

Comment

Just have to have a good season
                              If you know nothing about the women's program and look at today's goshockers.com women's hoop section and Jody speaks, one would think the program is on a high. She speaks of Daurice coming in, who just had a baby, so it might take a while; Michelle coming back from injury; Michelle had serious health issues, and two recruits who are not point guards, I do believe the team can win, but it needs stability. All players will need to be firing on all cylinders to win the Valley. I was convinced we would win it last year and then we imploded. Will we get a top level assistant coach who can recruit now that Guffey is back coaching high school. Time will tell.

Comment

• Does anyone know what it takes to earn a letter in WSU's women's basketball program?

The reason I ask is that this article from goShockers.com states that the Shockers have 8 letter winners returning next year.

http://www.goshockers.com/ViewArticl...DB_OEM_ID=7500

I am assuming that walk-on Brittany Taylor did not letter with a total of 25 mintues in 11 games played. If Nicole Wells, who played 69 minutes in 14 games, also did not letter than they would be counting Krystle Henderson as a returning letter-winner.

With all due respect to @oldtimewomen's hoopcoach I don't believe there has been an "official" announcement that Krystle is leaving. She did finish the semester as I saw her at a Shocker softball game a couple of weeks ago although that really doesn't mean much one way or the other. I wonder if it's possible they have worked things out with Krystle?

OTOH, if Nicole did letter than they that would point toward Krystle not returning.

Doesn't appear that they are going to sign any additional players for next year although they still have tomorrow remaining in the regular signing period. Perhaps they worked things out with Krystle and eliminated the need to sign a point guard.

@oldtimewomen's hoopcoach seemed pretty certain that Krystle was leaving and he has been on target regarding the coaching departures, so I am probably just grasping for straws of hope here.

Comment

Working...
                                X