No announcement yet.

Shocker Women Recruiting?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• From the Shockwaves Blog on July 10th:WSU women’s hoops offers scholarship to Andover’s Jaylyn Agnew

July 10, 201212:17 p.m.
    (Special guest post from VarsityKansas’ Joanna Chadwick)
    Andover sophomore Jaylyn Agnew is someone people have been mentioning to me since she was in seventh grade. Now, I already knew of her because I covered her father, Jay’s, girls basketball teams at East.

Jaylyn Agnew proved her freshman year that she’s a special all-around athlete. She plays volleyball, basketball and track. In basketball, she is a threat to block shots, rebound, score in the lane or hit a shot from the perimeter. In track she won the Class 5A high jump. And Wichita State recognized her basketball ability with coach Jody Adams offering her a scholarship.

Agnew spent last week in Texas at a showcase basketball tournament and is headed to Chicago this week for the Nike tournament, her last tournament of the summer. She’s a multi-sport athlete, who would like to keep it that way.
    “She’ll tell you that basketball is her first love,” Jay Agnew said. “If everything is perfect, she can choose where she wants to go, she’d probably prefer to do basketball and track.

“… She’s doing good right now. She likes everything she does. Whatever sport she’s playing, it’s her favorite.”

It’s nice to hear that, and it’s nice to hear that Wichita State is recruiting outstanding area athletes. There’s been so many top-notch girls basketball players from the area go elsewhere, that it would be so good for the WSU program to keep some local kids.

http://blogs.kansas.com/shockwaves/2...-jaylyn-agnew/

Comment

• I believe Jaylyn was listed at 5'10" as a freshman so she may not be done growing. Class of 2015, so Jody apparently is trying the "get on them early approach" to try and lasso some local talent. Not sure what our chance are to land Jaylyn but at least Jody is not ignoring the local talent.

Comment

• Could be a record for a thread in the Women's Sports Forum. 15,000+ views on this thread. Very unusual on the Women's forum. Not sure it will necessarily translate into improved attendance or ticket sales but it's good to see the that level of interest. Of course, it could be 10 people viewing the thread 1,500 times each.

Comment

• Originally posted by oldtimewomen's hoopcoach View Post
          I heard from one of the players the Shox have a legit point coming for 2013. The word is she is a Jody clone from her Tennessee days. That would be nice.
          Not only would that be nice, but it is pretty much a necessity. In fact, I would think Jody would want to bring in a 2nd point guard, if there are no other candidates among the current crop of players and verbals and, on the face of it, there doesn't appear to be. But who knows.

I would not be surprised to see Jody go to the Juco ranks for a 2nd point guard next year. I think that is preferable to having 2 freshman point guards and also maybe balances out the classes a little better. No problem with starting a Frosh at point if she is the best option though.

Comment

• I'm so proud for starting this thread,bout time that ladies got shown some love. can't wait til the season starts

Comment

• really interested to see how darice,harden, and price are doing. those three ladies to me will be key contributors

Comment

• Heights’ Jada Lynch makes basketball oral commitment (to Texas-San Antonio)

Sunday, July 15th, 2012By Joanna Chadwick

Heights senior Jada Lynch (Class of 2013), who helped lead the Falcons to the Class 6A title in March and an undefeated record, has made an oral commitment to play basketball at Texas-San Antonio.

Lynch is a versatile player and is a ridiculously hard worker.

Comment

• See what coach and staff do about this at wsu....next to oral relina johnson of east high smh

Comment

• Jody after a couple of other local players with early offers. Looks to me like she pretty determined to keep some of the local talent at home. At least she is giving it a good effort.

Wichita State women’s basketball offers scholarships to two South players

July 10, 2012 @ 10:11 p.m. by JoannaBy Joanna Chadwick

Wichita State has offered basketball scholarships to South sophomore Kirea Rogers and freshman Kendrian Elliott, South coach Antwain Scales confirmed.

Rogers handles the ball extremely well, can get to the basket quickly for easy points — and is consistent from the free-throw line. She can rebound, as well, and has a smooth shot. Rogers helped lead South to the Class 6A tournament in March.
                    I don't know much about these two young ladies. Kirea Rogers (Class of 2015) was 2nd team All-City as a freshman last year. Kendrian Elliott (Class of 2016) has yet to play a high school game. I assume the Ladies probably attended Jody's Elite Camp and made a very good impression on the Shocker Head Coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                      See what coach and staff do about this at wsu....next to oral relina johnson of east high smh
                      As I previously posted, I am guessing the Jody is in the Nashville area watching Briana Jones, Kayla White and Moriah Dapprich this week in the Battle in the Boro Tournament. Next week there is another tournament, the Nashville Nike Music City Madness - July 22-25. Moriah's team is also playing in that tournatment. Also playing in that tournament is the Kansas Players. Relina Johnson is a member of the Kansas Players.

Doesn't necessarily mean anything, but thought I would point it out.

Comment

• if relina doesn't get a offer....well its not up to me,but trust me the young lady is worth it.

Comment

• Originally posted by mumdaddy316 View Post
                          if relina doesn't get a offer....well its not up to me,but trust me the young lady is worth it.
                          Unfortnately, we don't always know who does and who doesn't get an offer. However, making an offer assures you of nothing. It would be interesting to know how many offers are made on average for every offer that results in an LOI for Wichita State Women's Basketball.

Comment

• yea id like to see that info myself....

Comment

• Originally posted by 1972Shocker View Post
                              Could be a record for a thread in the Women's Sports Forum. 15,000+ views on this thread. Very unusual on the Women's forum. Not sure it will necessarily translate into improved attendance or ticket sales but it's good to see the that level of interest. Of course, it could be 10 people viewing the thread 1,500 times each.
                              . I'd have to agree with the 10 people viewing this thread statement. I don't know how many times I've seen there was a new comment on the thread, only to find some innocuous comment like "can't wait for the season to start" or "any new updates??". Not that there is anything wrong with it, just don't wanna get too excited about love for the ladies team until I see fans in the seats.

Comment

• I'm sure the ladies will give the fans a reason to come to the games. but also fans gotta give and show support by coming out,it encourages the ladies and shows that we want them to succeed like we do for the men's team

Comment

Working...
                                X