No announcement yet.

Perry Ellis- Decision to KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Maybe annoyed. Notice that the interviewer started off with "you've announced a top 3" and stated KU, Duke, and UK. Perry quickly added KSU to the list. Perry may have mistaken Duke for WSU. As far as I know, the interviewer was just assuming that KU, Duke, and UK would BE the top 3 as I hadn't ever heard those 3 listed.

He's a good kid. No matter where he goes or what he does, he will be successful in life.
    Livin the dream

Comment

• I believe it comes down to two schools. KSU is in because he's being nice to a local school. UK is in because Cal has been recruiting him so long.

KU is, and should be, the odds on favorite to aquire his services. They're a great basketball school with tradition. One of the best in the country. Bill Self is a good coach and good guy. KU is always in the mix of things and they do have one Danny Manning.

WSU is the other school I think it comes down to. The local angle plays here. He's built a great relationship with the staff and has a long standing relationship with Dana Ford. Being the hometown hero and staying close to home so it's easy for the family to watch is a plus. Not that Lawrence is a long drive, but WSU is much more convenient for them. Doesn't hurt that he has a friend in Wessel already here and that Auer seems to be a big fan of WSU.

That's where I'm at now. I like our chances better than I did a month or two ago. Duke being off the list really increased our chances in my mind. Duke scared the crap out of me. I'll be absolutely shocked if he were to choose KSU. Very surprised if he were to choose UK. Not at all surprised if it's KU. And pleasantly surprised if it's WSU. I'm going with 80/20 KU/WSU at this point.

An in home visit will be scheduled as soon as the team returns from Brazil.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• If we do somehow land Ellis, that would pretty much mean Dana Ford got us Van Vleet and Ellis, and people said Ford wasnt ready to be an assistant lol
        Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234
          If we do somehow land Ellis, that would pretty much mean Dana Ford got us Van Vleet and Ellis, and people said Ford wasnt ready to be an assistant lol
          Who the hell said that?
          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
            Originally posted by newshock1234
            If we do somehow land Ellis, that would pretty much mean Dana Ford got us Van Vleet and Ellis, and people said Ford wasnt ready to be an assistant lol
            Who the hell said that?
            I just remember when he got hired, in the basketball forum, some people were questioning the hire, because they thought he was too young and wasnt ready to be an assistant
            Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Just looking ahead, but if we were to get Ellis, how likely or unlikely could both Ellis and VanVleet be starting as freshmen?

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234
                Originally posted by SubGod22
                Who the hell said that?
                I just remember when he got hired, in the basketball forum, some people were questioning the hire, because they thought he was too young and wasnt ready to be an assistant
                there was only 2 posters who questioned it (pinstripers was the main one). Everybody else thought it was a good hire.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock
                  Originally posted by SubGod22
                  Who the hell said that?
                  there was only 2 posters who questioned it (pinstripers was the main one). Everybody else thought it was a good hire.
                  Umm..I don't think so.

Comment

• Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers
                      http://shockernet.net/sn/viewtopic.php?t=19399&start=0
                      First of all -- this is not pointed at you Pinstripers. You have a right to defend yourself.

But really guys, don't we have better things to discuss here. Ford is hired and right now it appears to be a very good hire. Let's leave it at that.

I would love to see Perry on our roster but that is up to him and his family. I agree with Sub in that KU is the odds on favorite. I have already gone on record about KSU and Kentucky, both because of the coaches. If you want to be yelled at with very colorful language then KSU is your school; if you want to risk winning games and then having them pulled out from under you because you have a coach that lets his assistant coaches violate the rules and then claim he "knows nothing" about it then Kentucky is your choice.

Both KU and WSU have good coaches who, as far as I know, adhere to the rules and at most times are gentlemen. (Face it, everyone loses their cool at some point in time.) I would love to see Perry stay at home and lead WSU back to its former glory. Marshall has a really good set of players and if Ellis comes on board, Marshall could attract even more. But with or without Perry, WSU will be fine (just better with him). Some players just make other players better. We know we already have at least two of those (Wessel and Van Vleet), but there is always room for a highly sought after player like Ellis. (One can dream, can't one?)

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu
                        Originally posted by XManCometh
                        Originally posted by Aargh
                        Originally posted by AndShock
                        What was the deal with that Perry Ellis interview then?
                        I have a feeling the Ellis interview (I assume you're referring to the one in the KC Star article) was bad reporting and misquoting.
                        There was a video. Perry himself claimed those were his 4 teams.

http://theshiver.com/2011/08/perry-e...y-ellis-update
                        Is it me or does he seem a little annoyed with the interview? Almost like he was blindsided by it.

Notice it's an "independent source for all things Jayhawk". How convenient the reporter tries to put words in his mouth and whittle the selection down to three teams, which apparently Ellis never did. Ellis even had to remind him that KSU was still in the hunt.

So the reporter's technique may have been effective in getting the "real" four schools on the forefront of Ellis' mind to rattle off, but it was a gotcha reporting session if there ever was one.
                        Yea I agree about the "interview" tactics. Even if he changed his mind and added WSU over Duke later, he's a high school kid. He has the right to change his mind as much as he wants. I sure as heck did.

Comment

• Gettig Ellis could also result in Marshall staying here longer than many anticipate. If he is able to land highly sought-after recruits and beat the big name schools, he could build and establish a dynasty here and have no need to go elsewhere.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocksrbest
                            Gettig Ellis could also result in Marshall staying here longer than many anticipate.
                            This mindset baffles me. It seems so many have such a fear of "when is coach gonna leave". It's like a relationship when a (typically) girl constantly thinks the guy is gonna leave her and ends up pushing him to leaving. It may happen, it may not. If it does, we will move on. Why be constantly worried about it in the meantime?

Originally posted by shocksrbest
                            If he is able to land highly sought-after recruits and beat the big name schools, he could build and establish a dynasty here and have no need to go elsewhere.
                            I personally feel that is what he has been trying to do since he got here.

Comment

• Who said anything about being "constanly worried?'' I am simply reiterating what some have stated. It is known that coach wants to be in a league that receives multiple bids--has not been the case in the MVC since he got here!!!

That being the case and with the prospects of his "dream job" in the South coming available, he MAY bolt. I am not "worried" about it but am a little tired of WSU being a spring board to other high-profile positions. I am simply stating that if he can land big recruits here and compete for a National Championship, there will not be the need for him to jump ship--even if his dream job does become available.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocksrbest
                                Who said anything about being "constanly worried?'' I am simply reiterating what some have stated. It is known that coach wants to be in a league that receives multiple bids--has not been the case in the MVC since he got here!!!

That being the case and with the prospects of his "dream job" in the South coming available, he MAY bolt. I am not "worried" about it but am a little tired of WSU being a spring board to other high-profile positions. I am simply stating that if he can land big recruits here and compete for a National Championship, there will not be the need for him to jump ship--even if his dream job does become available.
                                I didn't mean you in particular. Like you said in your first post many anticipate him leaving as soon as his "dream job" becomes available. Has he ever made mention of any other school to make us feel like WSU is not his "dream job"? I'm just tired of hearing from those people that his departure is just around the corner.
                                There is a fine line somewhere between being naive and insecure. I may be on the "naive" side of this conversation but I feel there are way too many that are on the insecure side. Again not you in particular, your post just happened to set off my slight rant.

Comment

Working...
                                X