No announcement yet.

Perry Ellis- Decision to KU

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Somebody find him a girlfriend that wants to stay in Wichita! ;-)

Comment

If you ever get to know any of these kids, you can learn more about them than you might think. I do not know the case with Ellis, but a few years ago I played p/u games with these kinds of kids and you talk a lot during and after games, and many if not all desired one thing...to get out of Wichita. The feeling (and what I've been directly told on more than one occasion) is that "Wichita doesn't have anything to do." In other words, there's nothing to do in Wichita.

Whatever that is or means, well, Wichita doesn't have it in the eyes of these kids. You will ocasionally find one that wants to stay at home (Evans was one of the last I recall). If Ellis dreams of playing in the NBA and going pro after one year, then he's looking outside Wichita for his options. Possibly even outside the state if I had to guess, and I honestly think it will suit him perfectly.

Comment

That's immaturity talking. The only thing they will be doing in college is playing basketball and going to class. It's the same no matter what school they go to. Maybe an occasional break to go to the movies or out to dinner, but not sure what else they are looking for. Truth is, they're just like many other kids that grow up in Wichita, they just wantt o go away to college and experience some freedom away from home.

Comment

immaturity? or intelligence...

living in many other places, even if you don't have much time to "do anything" can still be more rewarding than living near home.

take california for example. no matter how little time you have to "do anything" it's still a chill place to be.
          great weather.
          veni, vidi, vici

Comment

Originally posted by Dan
            That's immaturity talking. The only thing they will be doing in college is playing basketball and going to class. It's the same no matter what school they go to. Maybe an occasional break to go to the movies or out to dinner, but not sure what else they are looking for. Truth is, they're just like many other kids that grow up in Wichita, they just wantt o go away to college and experience some freedom away from home.
            Or be like OJ Mayo and go to USC just for the media attention, which is something Wichita doesn't really come close in. Being in LA gets your name out there better, which will set up for more endorsements, $, etc.

Of course now we know Mayo went there for other reasons, but the Media reason seems perfectly acceptable to me.

Comment

let's be realistic here. There's about a .0001% chance he goes to Wichita State. Who was the last blue chipper to go to a Missouri Valley School? I play in pick up games w/ Perry @ the YMCA often and I can tell you that he has no interest in Wichita State. The kid is as good as advertised. He has the longest wingspan I think I've ever seen for a person his size and he's only gonna get bigger. He has a Kevin Durant like skill set already. He's a silky smooth athlete and has good hops for someone his age/height. From what he's told me he seems to like KU. The kid will likely be a top 20 player in his class. Wherever he goes, I'll support him. Gotta love a great athlete from Wichita.

Comment

Hey hey, quit raining on our parade. Also, please delete your post before Cold wakes up this afternoon and sets you straight and reminds you, ‘WE ARE WICHITA STATE!” Assume that WSU pulls a major ‘Shocker’ and reaches the Final Four in 2011. Would Mr. Ellis give us a sniff then? Maybe a one in a hundred chance? Probably closer to one in a million, but as Jim Carey said in Dumb and Dumber, “so you’re telling me there’s a chance… Yeah!!”

:yahoo:
                SFL is back!

Comment

What would you consider a ranking for a blue chipper?
                  Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                  RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                  Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                  ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                  Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                  Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

Wasn't Mo a blue chipper?

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                      What would you consider a ranking for a blue chipper?
                      I've always assumed a 'blue chip' is a 5 star player, so the ranking would probably be around top 40? Probably depends on the year.
                      The truth will set you free. But first, it will piss you off.

Comment

Most sites anymore just rank the Top25 as 5 star. I know Rivals used to give 5 stars to whoever they thought deserved it as some classes are deeper than others.

As far as Top 40, SIU has a guy who was ranked by Rivals as 43 I believe. Creighton has been close a couple of times and both those teams have been on the short list of a few guys fairly highly ranked.

It's not that far off before the Valley starts landing a few. CU and SIU have had some good pub the past decade or so. And I have no reason to doubt that WSU can land some highly talented players. We have the staff, the fan base, the facilities and a strong conference.
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Originally posted by SubGod22
                          Most sites anymore just rank the Top25 as 5 star. I know Rivals used to give 5 stars to whoever they thought deserved it as some classes are deeper than others.

As far as Top 40, SIU has a guy who was ranked by Rivals as 43 I believe. Creighton has been close a couple of times and both those teams have been on the short list of a few guys fairly highly ranked.

It's not that far off before the Valley starts landing a few. CU and SIU have had some good pub the past decade or so. And I have no reason to doubt that WSU can land some highly talented players. We have the staff, the fan base, the facilities and a strong conference.
                          Unfortunately, worldwideballa21 hasn’t been around long enough. History has a way of repeating itself.
                          :good:
                          SFL is back!

Comment

Rankings vary a lot for players. Some services will have some players in the top 25 and another have the same player in the top 50. For historical purposes some of the rankings of past Shockers. If my memory serves me well, AC was a top 10-40 player. Levingston was a top 50-70 player. X was a 65-100 player, and Evans was a somewhere in 70-125.

Comment

I thought AC was pretty much top 5-10 with everybody. That class had some good ones also...Isiah Thomas, Ralph Sampson, James Worthy, Dominique Wilkins, Sam Bowie to name a few.
                              In the fast lane

Comment

I believe Mo was ranked higher than you indicate as well. Can't be certain as I didn't follow recruiting nearly as close as I do now.

Carr was a HS AA. And pretty much a consensus stud.
                                RIP Guy Always A Shocker

Comment

Working...
                                X