• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I should do a load of socks.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
      I should do a load of socks.
      Lol Pin!!! :)

You know...Shocker1976 is completely right. Gregg Marshall DRIVES this Shocker Train. He gets "his" guys. He gets guys with skill that believe and have that want to. I talked about the 2016-17 season without FVV and Ron and maybe NOT having a national championship caliber type team after they graduate. BUT...just today I read the Wichita Eagle article about newcomer Grady. He sees what so many don't see. He sees the "perfect storm" if you will that is Shocker basketball under Coach Marshall and the guys he brings in. That's why we beat kansas. "that"...I still can't describe "that" entirely...but it's just "that". Sumthings different at Wichita St. under Marshall. A bunch of notches above the Cleveland St. type lower level "mid-majors"...but at the same time a bunch of levels above the high-level can't wait to get an NBA paycheck type programs. We just blind-side those guys so bad. We're just different. I look at the "intangibles" of certain players...but maybe I shouldn't be so quick to forget the "intangibles" of our coach. The guy is just a stud.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
      Number of Times Ranked: 157
      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
      #3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
      #2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by The Mad Hatter View Post
        Humphries is too young to enter the NBA draft after the 2015-16 season, so he will absolutely be playing college ball in 2016-17. The only question is whether that is his freshman or sophomore year of college.
        Fair point, TMH, but Emmanuel Mudiay found a way to monetize his acclaim based on high school performance alone, and they do have pro leagues in Australia. So anything is possible. Still, I certainly agree with your expectations for where Humphries will be playing in 2016-17 -- most likely an American college, ideally WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
          Fair point, TMH, but Emmanuel Mudiay found a way to monetize his acclaim based on high school performance alone, and they do have pro leagues in Australia. So anything is possible. Still, I certainly agree with your expectations for where Humphries will be playing in 2016-17 -- most likely an American college, ideally WSU.
          True, he could choose a non-NBA pro option, although the reports seem pretty clear that he plans on taking the NCAA to NBA route. In regard to the Mudiay example, reports suggest that Mudiay's decision probably had a lot to do with serious questions about his eligiblity and would have probably followed through on going to SMU in the absence of those issues:

And, according to Mudiay, this decision has nothing to do with eligibility issues?

With all due respect, I'm not buying it.

And neither should you.

Because, according to multiple sources, the truth is that there were growing concerns, real or imagined, that the projected lottery pick might have a difficult time getting through the NCAA Eligibility Center because of academic issues or amateurism issues. In other words, there was a real possibility that Mudiay, even if cleared academically, would become the next Josh Selby or Shabazz Muhammed, i.e., an elite recruit found guilty of taking improper benefits to the point where a suspension would be possible, if not likely. And that, more than anything else, was the motivating factor behind Mudiay's decision to become just the second elite guard to ever attempt this jump.

The other, of course, was Brandon Jennings.

He skipped college for Europe in 2008 ... also amid eligibility concerns.

Which means not a single top-10 prospect has ever graduated, signed with a college program and then decided to bounce overseas rather than enroll unless that prospect was facing eligibility concerns. Like, it's literally never happened. And it still hasn't happened even if Mudiay's camp suggested he's just trying to take care of his mother financially.
          "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
            If Humphries just wanted to get paid I don't think he would have transferred to the US to play high school ball.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker1976 View Post
              IMO your conclusion is as confused as AZ Shocker's; the first season post FVV and RB the Shocker bench will have three guards (CF, TT, and LS) with better high school credentials than FVV and RB and these three guards will have had the benefit of observing/playing with FVV and RB - making the Shocker cupboard anything but bare.

IMO positions 3, 4 and 5 will also be stronger with the experience gained by EH, MM, RK, RN and ZB. The Shockers will have taller, as experienced and more athletic players at each of these positions for the 2015-2016 season.

Hide your head in the sand if you wish regards the Shocker men's basketball team but IMO HC3G is the engineer that drives the Shocker train not FVV and RB. As I have posted previously, IMO HC3G has constructed and is executing his own Marshall Plan regards Shocker basketball and as long as he is driving the train I am confident the Shockers will at a minimum maintain their current level of success. Can this Marshall Plan capture a NC for Wichita State? Who knows but IMO the next few years look exciting and entertaining for Shocker fans!
              Good God, you act like "probably not able to win a national championship" is somehow an insult.

Hide your head in the sand and project national championship victories off of high school credentials all you wish. Let me know how that's working out for Kansas. I'll wait until I see it on the court.

Don't throw your "Marshall Plan!" nonsense in here as if I'm arguing that WSU can't win a national championship. That's a disingenuous reply to me, just as it was to AZ above. That is NOT what was said, and replying as such is childish. I never once argued anything close to WSU not being able to compete for a national championship without FVV and Baker, and you're flat out lying to say I am.
              Last edited by Rlh04d; June 8, 2015, 03:22 PM.
              Originally posted by BleacherReport
              Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                We didn't have much returning after the 2012 season, either. But 2012/13 turned out to be pretty special.

Just because the players haven't showed up yet or haven't been called upon to be "the man" yet doesn't mean they won't be capable of it.
                It certainly doesn't mean they won't be capable of it. But there's a difference between possibly being capable of it and being a conclusion any of us can logically draw.

It's possible that McDuffie will be the national player of the year as a sophomore in 16-17, carrying a Wichita State team to their second national championship on the back of his 35+ ppg. But that's not a logical assumption.

If we want to just sit here and kiss each other's butts about how we're going to win a national championship every year, enjoy irrational offseason fandom. I prefer a bit more logic in my life. The one and only known quantity in 16-17 we have right now is Marshall.

As for 2012-13, we had three seniors that season. We have zero in 16-17 right now. We had a far more known team that year than we have for 17 ... right now. Anything could change my perception after a year of seeing these guys on the court. Maybe McDuffie and Shamet will be FVV/Baker from 12-13. Or maybe McDuffie will start taking meth and Shamet will drop out of school to be a male stripper and Frankamp will transfer back to KU.
                Originally posted by BleacherReport
                Fred VanVleet on Shockers' 3-Pt Shooting Confidence -- ' Honestly, I just tell these guys to let their nuts hang.'

Comment

• Originally posted by Rlh04d View Post
                  It certainly doesn't mean they won't be capable of it. But there's a difference between possibly being capable of it and being a conclusion any of us can logically draw.

It's possible that McDuffie will be the national player of the year as a sophomore in 16-17, carrying a Wichita State team to their second national championship on the back of his 35+ ppg. But that's not a logical assumption.

If we want to just sit here and kiss each other's butts about how we're going to win a national championship every year, enjoy irrational offseason fandom. I prefer a bit more logic in my life. The one and only known quantity in 16-17 we have right now is Marshall.

As for 2012-13, we had three seniors that season. We have zero in 16-17 right now. We had a far more known team that year than we have for 17 ... right now. Anything could change my perception after a year of seeing these guys on the court. Maybe McDuffie and Shamet will be FVV/Baker from 12-13. Or maybe McDuffie will start taking meth and Shamet will drop out of school to be a male stripper and Frankamp will transfer back to KU.
                  It's fine to be realistic regarding the "national championship" talk. You could make the case that every year it's unlikely for any team to win it all. It's just that competitive.

What I take issue with is the FVV/Baker graduating "the sky is falling, better win it all this year" mentality. They are amazing players that deserve all the accolades given them, but it's just as bad to project failure for the unknown as it is success.

And the 3 (actually 4) seniors in 2013 is a bit disingenuous. One was Mal, who had never suited up for WSU. One was Ehimen, who had yet to demonstrate his ability as a regular contributor. Only Carl Hall and Demetric Williams could have been projected for much, and Carl only had one year in the system.

The only other players with experience in a shocker uniform heading into that season? Jake White, Evan Wessel, and Tekele Cotton heading into their sophomore seasons.

As it stands we will have rising juniors Zach Brown, Shaq Morris, Rashard Kelly, and Frankamp. And 3 of those guys will have more experience as Shockers than all but Demetric Williams had heading into the Final Four season.
                  You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Just making a reminder that if we could steer this ship back onto course and talk about Isaac that'd be swell. I understand the talk of National Championships and Isaac is on topic, but we're definitely beyond Isaac at this point.
                    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Weird, because about 4 weeks ago was when we were told the roof was getting blown off by Greg Heiar...

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                          Weird, because about 4 weeks ago was when we were told the roof was getting blown off by Greg Heiar...
                          Don't know if I'd call it "weird".

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockTalk View Post
                            Don't know if I'd call it "weird".
                            I'd call it cause and effect.
                            ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Good news I think?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dave Stalwart View Post
                                Weird, because about 4 weeks ago was when we were told the roof was getting blown off by Greg Heiar...
                                Was also just shortly after he was on campus. Could be a very good sign.
                                "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

Working...
                                X