Isaac Humphries 7'0" 245, 2016 to Kentucky

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
    I don't know if I'd consider him being the missing link to a final four or better. First year players that come into the WSU program usually don't have very good first years. It's not until the following year or later that they really start to get comfortable with all the offensive schemes and screening assignments that Coach Marshall has. Also, in the first year, they haven't yet learned how to play the type of defense Marshall requires.

So, if we get him and get to a final four or win the NC, it won't be because of him.

But seriously, a 7 footer, top 5 center, and future lottery pick would play decent minutes for us. He wouldn't be considering us if he wasn't going to. He could go to a number of blue bloods and contribute there immediately.

Marshall and Co. knows a national championship is in our grasp next year and they know a kid like Humphries would fill a hole that we don't very often have the opportunity to fill...certainly never with a freshman.

Comment

I don't know if I'd consider him being the missing link to a final four or better. First year players that come into the WSU program usually don't have very good first years. It's not until the following year or later that they really start to get comfortable with all the offensive schemes and screening assignments that Coach Marshall has. Also, in the first year, they haven't yet learned how to play the type of defense Marshall requires.

So, if we get him and get to a final four or win the NC, it won't be because of him.
      The flaw in your logic is you're thinking 'typical' players. This guy is just below NBA caliber now, and he has a high ceiling. He's much better than 'typical'.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShoxRoxMySox View Post
        Cle had a pretty solid first year in the program.
        Yeah, but he was also coming in as a two-time Div III NJCAA player of the year. Is Isaac the player of the year in anything?

Comment

Yeah, but he was also coming in as a two-time Div III NJCAA player of the year. Is Isaac the player of the year in anything?
          All-tournament team at FIBA U17 world championships.

Comment

I guess top 5 isn't what it used to be. Thanks for educating me. Isaac would never be as good as, say Poetl as a Freshman.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
              The flaw in your logic is you're thinking 'typical' players. This guy is just below NBA caliber now, and he has a high ceiling. He's much better than 'typical'.
              I'm only basing all this on what I saw in the video. It showed him trailing on a couple fast break plays and didn't show him being that aggressive on defense. I know these videos usually only show things on offense. Maybe there's something out there that shows his defensive abilities (blocks, rebounds, steals). If I see that, maybe Ill change my mind.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                All-tournament team at FIBA U17 world championships.
                According to 1979, being one of the top players in the world counts less than all-american.

Comment

• Isaac Humphries may or may not come in and be all world for the Shockers, but there is no basis for determining his impact based on previous recruits in the last 30 years. Since 1990, we have had two players rated in the top 50 out of high school...Mo Evans and Conner Frankamp. This guy would be our third. The best comparison would be Greg Dreiling all the way back in 1981. Probably still almost no merit in that comparison.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

According to 1979, being one of the top players in the world counts less than all-american.
                    I assume when you say "one of the top players in the world", you're including all the NBA players. If that's the case, he should just go straight to the NBA. He'll be an instant game changer.

Comment

• Humphries went for 9 pts, 8 rebs against the best HS recruits in the country. Imagine what he would do against the MVC with the best backcourt in the country to help him out. I've been trying not to get too excited in case it doesn't happen but it's hard to contain myself. Has it been brought up yet that he's an 80% FT shooter?

Comment

I assume when you say "one of the top players in the world", you're including all the NBA players. If that's the case, he should just go straight to the NBA. He'll be an instant game changer.
                        C'mon man, you have to be 19 years old before you can enter the draft.

Comment

• Originally posted by shocks02 View Post
                          C'mon man, you have to be 19 years old before you can enter the draft.
                          I'm getting a kick out of the fact that he's being so dismissive about a potential NBA lottery pick.

You have to go all the way back to the 1980s to find a recruit from our school with that potential. He's certainly not a typical recruit.

Comment

I'm getting a kick out of the fact that he's being so dismissive about a potential NBA lottery pick.

You have to go all the way back to the 1980s to find a recruit from our school with that potential. He's certainly not a typical recruit.
                            Mo Evans was a potential lottery pick, or at least had as much potential as Humphries.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• My memory doesn't place Mo Evans as high as you do. I remember him as being more in the 60-80 range. He was a dynamic talent and he was definitely an NBA prospect. But (from my memory), Shamet is similarly ranked and has similar skills to Evans. As a Frosh, Mo wasn't very big but with hard work, he bulked up a lot.

Now Sherrod, Carr, and Dreiling were all Top 30 players and Burger Boys.

Now for Isaac, Dreiling's skills were not good. He was big but Isaac's skills are significantly higher.

Comment

• After looking at some other videos of him, he looks a little better than what I saw in the first video. So I'll take him.

Comment

Working...
                                X