Tevin Glass 14' Juco Forward - Signed!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
    Anyone who thinks a 6'11" juco center signed with us to redshirt is delusional and arrogant or drinking too much kool-aid.
    For those of you who disagree, please point to an actual example where this happened.

Can we please get back on topic?
    BWam is incredibly raw. He has one year at a really low school (NAIA) because he didn't know there was more than one level of ball in America. So his coaches wanted him to move up, and he went to Kilgore to get some exposure. That is where HCGM and his staff found him.
    Wamukota came to the United State in the summer of 2012 and played last season at NAIA Wiley (Texas) College, where his mother is volleyball coach. He averaged 2.7 points and 2.6 rebounds in 21 games. Those numbers, his coaches say, are misleading. He came to Wiley from Kenya as an unknown with uncertain eligibility. Once eligible, he played behind two seniors in a pressing game that didn’t play to his strengths.“Our system wasn’t designed for him,” Wiley coach Andre Payne said. “We’re trapping and running all over the court. I hadn’t seen him play. We didn’t know how good he was.”
    He transferred to Kilgore in hopes of landing an NCAA Division I scholarship. Friends and coaches told him to take the chance.
    “I didn't know there was different levels of basketball,” Wamukota said. “When I got here, I got to realize there were higher levels.”
    Payne, who planned to feature Wamukota as his primary scorer this season, sent him on his way with no hard feelings.
    “I wanted him to stay, but I told him ‘I can’t lie to you,’” Payne said. “‘You’ve got what it takes to play major college basketball.’ He’s the type of the kid you want around your program. He’s going to class. He’s not going to get into any trouble.”
    Hoberecht said 44 NCAA Division I coaches watched his team play during a 35-day stretch this fall, speeding up the recruiting buzz on Wamukota. WSU coaches watched him at jamboree this fall and made Kilgore a regular stop.

Obviously this the situation all juco big men find themselves in the same situation.
    please point to an actual example where this happened.

People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

Originally posted by Jhook89 View Post
      I think this could free up us redshirting Bush Wam
      Really? You're way out on an island on this one.

Won't he be the only roster player over 6'8? And he's already 20+ years old, and we're light on shot blockers at the 5?

Sure, whatever...

I haven't seen any logical reason to redshirt him.

Back on topic, Welcome Tevin!
      "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
      -John Wooden

Comment

Welcome to the team!
        The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

Excellent get! InseemTevin as a cross between Gabe Blair and jamar Howardl. He was a top 150 player out of HS and has gotten bigger/stronger since then. Nice add!
          Livin the dream

Comment

I'm really happy we signed Tevin. I think we'll have a great rotation with him this year.

As far as any JUCO redshirting, why on earth would anyone sign a LOI with a school to redshirt.

Shock, either you are a lawyer and twisting things or you were not exercising your reading comprehension skills.

Again, I will say, please provide specific examples where a juco big man signed a loi either here or at any other 4 year college and redshirted.

I know you can't, so please stay on topic and quit wasting our time.

The more success we have, the more some of our fans that post here are getting full of 'it'.

It does not make sense. The kid would sign elsewhere where they could play immediately. He had several offers, I agree with the thought that Wamuoka was brought in as a much needed defensive stopper.

Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it is raining.
            Last edited by shocka khan; April 25, 2014, 12:11 PM. Reason: Typo

Comment

If you are a foreign student and could get 3 years of school instead of 2, you might want to. With this 6'8" signing, it's doubtful, I would say.

Comment

Welcome Mr. Glass to WSU, congratulations on your signing.

In your tweet you said you wanted to thank God, your family, friends, and your supporters,
                I think the number of supporters went up exponentially this morning.

Comment

I'm really happy we signed Tevin. I think we'll have a great rotation with him this year.

As far as any JUCO redshirting, why on earth would anyone sign a LOI with a school to redshirt.

Shock, either you are a lawyer and twisting things or you were not exercising your reading comprehension skills.

Again, I will say, please provide specific examples where a juco big man signed a loi either here or at any other 4 year college and redshirted.

I know you can't, so please stay on topic and quit wasting our time.

The more success we have, the more some of our fans that post here are getting full of 'it'.

It does not make sense. The kid would sign elsewhere where they could play immediately. He had several offers, I agree with the thought that Wamuoka was brought in as a much needed defensive stopper.

Quit peeing on my leg and telling me it is raining.
                  damn dude chill out. I just provided evidence as to why BWam could be an exception to the norm. There is a higher chance of it happening than your normal juco transfer. You are forgetting the curve that comes with Juco transfers, and he is a foreign guy with 2 year of organized ball under his belt. He is raw. Expect him to be more raw than EO was. I am keeping expectations realistic. If he is a contributor this year, it will be in February/March before he has an impact. I think he redshirts, but I could be wrong.

EDIT: I am a poli sci major, you aren't far off with that lawyer dig.
                  People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

I'm hoping Tevin gets NoY in the Valley next year. He certainly has the potential. I'm looking forward to watching him play!

Comment

Originally posted by pinstripers View Post
                      If you are a foreign student and could get 3 years of school instead of 2, you might want to. With this 6'8" signing, it's doubtful, I would say.
                      I am not necessarily wise or experienced at basically anything in life, but after about two years now on SN I'm starting to get a kick out of the annual redshirting debates.

Comment

I'm hoping Tevin gets NoY in the Valley next year. He certainly has the potential. I'm looking forward to watching him play!
                        We have several candidates: Tevin, Rashard, and Zach Brown just to start with...

And who knows which of Shaq, Rian, Corey, Eric Hamilton or Bush W, might surprise us?

We be LOADED!!
                        Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

Here's my two cents. Regardless of who redshirts, WSU wins the Valley. WSU can win the Valley with the returners only, barring injury.

Think about that. Am I wrong? Would a roster of FVV, Holland, Baker, Cotton, Wessel, Darius, Shaq, JRS and Zach Bush be able to win most of their games? Maybe that's a stretch, but not by much. By about one big, I suppose.

Whoever redshirts is going to get determined by practice this summer anyway. This team is going to be so stacked, there is really no way to guess who will get minutes at this point. Also, I don't buy that we HAVE to have someone who is 6'11" in order to win most of our games.

Comment

Originally posted by shock View Post

EDIT: I am a poli sci major, you aren't far off with that lawyer dig.
                            So, you're unemployed?
                            :)
                            Wichita State, home of the All-Americans.

Comment

Haha I love how people on here try to degrade other peoples opinions as if their own opinion is backed by fact. The fact is NONE of us have any clue how any of these new recruits will do. We all have no clue what the coaches are thinking. We don't know any of the players. All we know is what we see with our untrained eyes on TV, on the internet, and at the games. Not a single one of us is an expert. Not a single one of us is apart of the team. That is the reason we are talking on a website. None of us actually have any merit to what we say. Just because someone has an opinion that doesn't match your own doesn't mean you have to treat them as if they are idiots. This site should be for thought provoking discussions and debates about WSU. Not slamming other members and degrading others. We are all on the same team here people.

Comment

Anyone who thinks a 6'11" juco center signed with us to redshirt is delusional and arrogant or drinking too much kool-aid.
                                For those of you who disagree, please point to an actual example where this happened.

Can we please get back on topic?
                                thank you for coming back to reality...Jucos redshirting is not the norm...EO was a rare case..he was a true freshmen...had no choice but to go JUCO from per the recommendation of 3G...the JUCOS we typically get have already been battle tested in the JUCO ranks so why the heck would they want to come to a situation to sit out a year, especially when they get to pick where they can go for the most part..pending their offers of course...

Comment

Working...
                                X