No announcement yet.

WSU v. Ark Pine Bluff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I agree, we better get used to inconsistency at least for a bit. Signs of an inexperienced team. BUT I see ALOT of upside in this team and I have seen improvement in different areas each game which tells me that this team will probably improve pretty quickly. With Mantas back (big help on boards and defense) I really like our chances Friday if this team keeps buying in on defense. I still think 20 wins is possible with what I see in this team, but being fairly young on the bench I wouldn't be surprised with 17 or so. But too much lower and I too will be extremely dissapointed cause to me it would mean we didn't improve much all season.
    "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Points in the Paint

Does anyone remember APB getting any points in the paint by a post up move last night? Except for one fast break where WSU had a TO, I don't remember them scoring in the paint at all. Their entire offense consisted of making long range jump shots.

Comment

• Re: Points in the Paint

Originally posted by xazshox
        Does anyone remember APB getting any points in the paint by a post up move last night? Except for one fast break where WSU had a TO, I don't remember them scoring in the paint at all. Their entire offense consisted of making long range jump shots.
        In the second half, APB did a nice job of taking the ball just inside the 3 line and making jumpers. Our lack of height really showed there.

Comment

• Originally posted by pinstripers
          1. Mattie had about as gooda game as he has ever had in black & gold, err, white.
          2. Gal is gonna get a lotta shots blocked.
          3. I see what all the fuss was about with Durley.
          4. No, Burley will likely not get a scholarship next year.
          5. Clemente is better than Ryan Martin, but similar.
          Very good points.

The J.T. I saw last night was the same J.T., who I saw in the scrimmages.
          There is another aspect of his game, which the posters will like. When he receives the ball outside the 3 line, he can drive effectively to the basket and finish. He is very deceptive, when he drives.

Comment

• 1. Mattie had about as gooda game as he has ever had in black & gold, err, white.

Last year's game at Wyo was even better.

Comment

• 1. Mattie had about as gooda game as he has ever had in black & gold, err, white.
              Last year's game at Wyo was even better.
              I've always been sort of partial to this one:

Comment

• I don't think you can understate the importance of Durley playing well. I think he needs to fill the same role this year that I had hoped he would last year. Durley needs to be a offensive spark off the bench and has to be consistent enough to be able to play extended minutes when Clemente and/or PT are in foul trouble (which I fear will happen often – especially early in the season). If he keeps working hard, his defense will come along – he is certainly athletic enough. Plus, it looks like he can put up points in a hurry – so when he is hot the others better go to him.

The reviews of Mekel at the point really have me concerned. He has to be able to keep the offense clicking when MB is out of the game. What exactly is his deal? Explain to me the difference between when MB is running the vs. Mekel. As an aside, it was a nice game by MB. I still have my concerns with the kid but he is solid running the offense – he is playing like a senior should.

I would like to see PJ do a little more but he still fills up the stat sheet – 5 boards, 4 steals, 3 assists and 8 points (50% shooting) is not bad – but I expect him to take more than 6 shots.

Comment

• Originally posted by SB Shock
                  Originally posted by baylrballa
                  Originally posted by rjl

When they're "on" from 3 pt range like they were tonight, this team has giant killer written all over them.
                  APB - 43.5%

WSU - 45%
                  Grasshopper, I realize you have no context or historical reference to judge WSU but Wichita State last two years held their opponents to around 33% 3pt shooting - the best in the MVC. So when opponents shoots a higher than that we assume thats an aberration.

Meanwhile WSU has Shot around 37 to 38% for the past seasons. So shooting 45% is not much an aberration exspecially against the quality of opponent.
                  valid point, but the bottom line is you outshot a team and are now complaining they stayed close they shot to ball so well. That really has nothing to do with past seasons.

Comment

• 6. We need to get the ball into PJ's hands more.
                    7. Coach Gross is about as an electric of an interview as Dan Blocker.

Comment

• Pin does make good points. Matt's game was far above his exhibitions.

Durley has to "buy in" because his talent is needed big time on the floor.

People have yet to see the real Mantas. I hope Baylor gets the opportunity.

Gal has to realize sometime that he isn't playing the Tel Aviv Jr All Star Team anymore. He doesn't have to dazzle sportscenter every play either. Playing within the game is going to be just fine.

We need full throttle PJ a little more often. When he turns it on he is a big time difference maker. It seems to me we have seen only a few minutes of this so far this year.

AE is going to get a lot better. A LOT BETTER and sooner than later.

Nothing wrong with Phil's game last night. I'll take that all year. If somehow he can play the 4 more often than the 5 we will be very, very good.

I hate to say it...ok I really don't. But from an offensive, basketball vision ONLY, we are going to miss Sean.

Ramon is undersized. I love him, great kid, tireless worker, awesome personality but he is going to run into some problems size-wise.

It seems obvious now that out of 16 bodies we know 5 either cannot play (AJ) will not contribute minutes other than mop up or desperation (LH, BB, BM, GH). Wendell is going to provide limited defensive minutes (no shock there). There are still 2 unknown quantities with plenty of upside (Butler and Orupke). The other 8 (Matt, Phil, Mantas, Gal, Ramon, PJ, AE and JT) are our rotation.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu
                        Pin does make good points. Matt's game was far above his exhibitions.

Durley has to "buy in" because his talent is needed big time on the floor.

People have yet to see the real Mantas. I hope Baylor gets the opportunity.

Gal has to realize sometime that he isn't playing the Tel Aviv Jr All Star Team anymore. He doesn't have to dazzle sportscenter every play either. Playing within the game is going to be just fine.

We need full throttle PJ a little more often.

AE is going to get a lot better. A LOT BETTER and sooner than later.

Nothing wrong with Phil's game last night. I'll take that all year. If somehow he can play the 4 more often than the 5 we will be very, very good.

I hate to say it...ok I really don't. But from an offensive, basketball vision ONLY, we are going to miss Sean.

Ramon is undersized. I love him, great kid, tireless worker, awesome personality but he is going to run into some problems size-wise.

It seems obvious now that out of 16 bodies we know 5 either cannot play (AJ) will not contribute minutes other than mop up or desperation (LH, BB, BM, GH). Wendell is going to provide limited defensive minutes (no shock there). There are still 2 unknown quantities with plenty of upside (Butler and Orupke). The other 8 (Matt, Phil, Mantas, Gal, Ramon, PJ, AE and JT) are our rotation.
                        I agree with most of what you wrote:

On Durley – I think he is "buying in" but old habits sometimes take a while to shake.

On GM – totally agree. He is an offensive weapon despite the his performance in the exhibition games. It is his work on the glass that surprised me a bit.

On Mekel – I don't know what to make of the kid. Hopefully things will "click" for him midway through the season.

On PJ – Sure they need PJ to step it up more – but is he capable? PJ is so unselfish (which I like about him) – I'm sure it is up to PJ as to how assertive he wants to be.

On Ellis – completely agree.

On PT – just be consistent and stay out of foul trouble.

On missing SO – I disagree to a point. What SO did was stretch the defense with his shooting. This team won't miss him as much as you might think – they have shooters. PJ is improved, Mekel, GM, Ellis, MB and even Durley. The difference now is it seems that these players now have a green light.

On Clemente – Yes he is undersized and he might have some issues – but I don't worry too much about Clemente.

Comment

• The team WSU played last night was small. Our bigs should have had a good game. I saw way too many moving screens last night. Some got called and others didn't. That can be changed. Still, a closer game than I thought and no help for Matt last night at point.

Comment

• Originally posted by calfan
                            The team WSU played last night was small. Our bigs should have had a good game. I saw way too many moving screens last night. Some got called and others didn't. That can be changed. Still, a closer game than I thought and no help for Matt last night at point.
                            Their "bigs" weren't any smaller than ours.....
                            "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

• Well, some good news in regards to our WHITE jersey's... If it's indeed true.

"Actually, those uniforms are just subbing in while Nike is still finishing their REAL uniforms. It was in the school newsletter today.

So hang in there everyone, new uni's are on the way."

A comment from Kansas.com. :yahoo:

Comment

• On Gal: This kid is 19 years old and just scored 16 points and grabbed 6 boards from the guard position. Could we be any harder on him? The only thing I will say is that he has not shown the ability to lead the team as a PG has to. If he plays SG he will be a damn fine SG, and I'll take that all year!
                                Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                                X