Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by WSUwatcher View Post
    All right, what the heck was this thread doing on page 3? When there are 3750 posts, you'd think it would get a bump now and then. (By the way, nice tries the past couple of days, rrshock.)

And so, here it is -- I just looked at the team stats and saw that in 16 games / 304 minutes this year, EO has 38 official blocks. That's one every EIGHT minutes of playing time (and who knows how many others not awarded, or how many shots influenced). That is some serious defensive production.
    I tried. I agree. It is some serious production.

I was also wondering how much having the big guy helps in practice. Echinique's block fest made me wonder a little yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
      I tried. I agree. It is some serious production.

I was also wondering how much having the big guy helps in practice. Echinique's block fest made me wonder a little yesterday.
      It looked to me like Echenique and Orukpe block shots in a completely different way. Echenique comes from across the lane and tries to get the ball into the rafters, Orukpe seems to either try and pin the shot against the backboard or tip it forward. The guards probably would not have gotten much preparation against Echenique's style. It is interesting that coach decided to try and use a smaller line-up for most of the game though; that certainly helped Echenique but I am fine with letting him go off a little compared to just about anyone else on Creighton's team.

Interesting statistic: Creighton blocks almost as many 2PT jumpers (6%) as they do shots at the rim (8%). In contrast, we block 19% of shots at the rim and 7% of 2PT jumpers.

Comment

• Echenique's style of blocking it into the rafters or a bullet out of bounds looks impressive but doesn't give their team the opportunity to gain possession wheras EO more than not does. Give me EO any day.

Comment

• Originally posted by pogo View Post
          Echenique's style of blocking it into the rafters or a bullet out of bounds looks impressive but doesn't give their team the opportunity to gain possession wheras EO more than not does. Give me EO any day.
          I agree. I prefer EO's style as well.

Comment

• Originally posted by rrshock View Post
            I agree. I prefer EO's style as well.
            EO has made nice progress even since the first few games of the season in terms of blocking shots. He used to go after everything then block it to kingdom come. Since early on this year he is much more selective (usually guessing correct) on the shots he swats, which puts him in a much better position to rebound than before. The impressive thing is he usually keeps the ball in play, much like watching Bill Russell block shots.

Comment

• This is a lineup I am ready for more of. 1. Armstead 2. D-Will or Cotton 3. Early 4.Hall 5. EO. Thoughts?
              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                This is a lineup I am ready for more of. 1. Armstead 2. D-Will or Cotton 3. Early 4.Hall 5. EO. Thoughts?
                It's easy to get caught up in "lineups." The reality is except for the starting lineup in each half, once the action starts there is so many variables that recreating that lineup after the first couple of minutes is challenging.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                  This is a lineup I am ready for more of. 1. Armstead 2. D-Will or Cotton 3. Early 4.Hall 5. EO. Thoughts?
                  That's our lineup for the NCAAs. The Valley has a lot of 3-guard teams. The top end of D1 ball has a lot of 3-front-court teams. If we need to go tall across the front line, we got it. If we need to go quick at the wing, we got it - especially if Wiggins figures D1 ball out by March.

I think Baker is probably not going to be much more than a minor role player the rest of the season. It's been too long since he's been on his feet and shot a basketball. I think he was still knocking rust off his game when he went down. I have to wonder if the coaches aren't considering the possibility of a 6th year might be better than bringing him back after a huge layoff this year.
                  The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                  We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post
                    That's our lineup for the NCAAs. The Valley has a lot of 3-guard teams. The top end of D1 ball has a lot of 3-front-court teams. If we need to go tall across the front line, we got it. If we need to go quick at the wing, we got it - especially if Wiggins figures D1 ball out by March.

I think Baker is probably not going to be much more than a minor role player the rest of the season. It's been too long since he's been on his feet and shot a basketball. I think he was still knocking rust off his game when he went down. I have to wonder if the coaches aren't considering the possibility of a 6th year might be better than bringing him back after a huge layoff this year.
                    Gonna be hard to get that 6th year hardship done considering his first year that he sat out was a voluntary red shirt.

Baker will probably get 11-15 minutes the remainder of the year.
                    Last edited by wsushox1; January 20, 2013, 10:08 PM.
                    The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                      Gonna be hard to get that 6th year hardship done considering his first year that he sat out was a voluntary red shirt.

More like impossible. Two hardship years are possible, but that is the only way to get a 6th year.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post

Agree about the 6th year. It might make a difference that he was not on scholarship. It's a long shot, but expecting any significant contribution from Baker this year - even in March - is also a long shot.

If you think it's tough coming off a RS year and getting back into game shape and into the flow of the D1 game, try it coming off of 2 months on crutches without conditioning or shooting. I'm not expecting anything from Baker the rest of this year. I don't think we're going to need his production.
                        The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
                        We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Comment

• I'm gonna go ahead and say Ehimen has a block party against HSU
                            Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                            RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                            Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                            ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                            Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                            Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh View Post

Don't want to hijack the EO thread, and this may be my first post here (I'm not going to check) but you can forget about a 6th year for Baker. He's coming back...and he's PISSED.

Comment

• I'm glad to hear that about Baker. I think we win the EU game if we have either Baker or Wessell suited up. Neither is a freak athletically but they both bring a mixture of toughness, skill, and most importantly BB IQ that we were lacking that game. I can't wait til Baker gets back and I'm REALLY excited to see what Wessell can bring to the table after another year of improvement.

Edit: typo

Comment

Working...
                                X