No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Ellis isn't going to graduate this year - then either he takes a shirt this year and is on scholarship next year or he pays for the rest of school himself.

If that's the case, it would almost be the humanitarian thing to do to give him an extra year on scholarship.
    The future's so bright - I gotta wear shades.
    We like to cut down nets and get sized for championship rings.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh
      If Ellis isn't going to graduate this year - then either he takes a shirt this year and is on scholarship next year or he pays for the rest of school himself.

If that's the case, it would almost be the humanitarian thing to do to give him an extra year on scholarship.
      I believe he would still get the 5th year paid for even if his eligibility runs out.
      Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
      RIP Guy Always A Shocker
      Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
      ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
      Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
      Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
        Originally posted by Aargh
        If Ellis isn't going to graduate this year - then either he takes a shirt this year and is on scholarship next year or he pays for the rest of school himself.

I believe he would still get the 5th year paid for even if his eligibility runs out.
        Even if his fifth year isn't covered by basketball, with all his smarts (i don't know his grades so this is just speculation) he could possibly get an academic scholarship. That said, I hope he RS.
        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Ellis is probably not a candidate for an academic scholarship. Perhaps track or vocal music?

Comment

• Pinstripers unless you know this for sure that was a dumb statement to make

Comment

• He didn't have the grades to get into South Carolina. That does not mean that he is stupid, but it makes it very unlikely that an acedemic skollie is in his future. Lighten up, Francis.

Comment

• Your comment reminds me of an athlete I knew in HS. He was articulate, but couldn't care less about class. His grades reflected that.
                As an experiment, my friend and I told him we took a look at his file and his IQ was showing as 140.
                Immediately, the guy started studying, making the honor role and rarely received anything less than a flat B. His transformation was amazing.

Sometimes, it only takes one person to believe in you so you'll start believing in yourself.

Comment

• Either way, AE will get 5 years of basketball scholarship.
                  Livin the dream

Comment

• I don't understand how a basketball player could get 5 scholarship years without a redshirt.

Once his eligibility is done, he can't get assistance from WSU is the way I understand it.

I think that as long as he's one of the 13 players on scholarship, he's covered. Once he's not one of those, WSU can't do ANYTHING for him.

How does this supposed 5th-year scholarship work?

Comment

• ditto

Comment

• You're allowed 5 years plain and simple. You don't have to be eligible anymore and won't count against the 13. Same way I believe Zach Green was able to finish at WSU due to injury but still received assistance from his basketball 'ship. It has zero to do with redshirting.
                        Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                        RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                        Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                        ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                        Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                        Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Let me see if I've got this right.

A player on scholarship can get 5 years of scholarship coverage in order to get a degree even if their eligibility has expired? I was unaware of that. I thought players like Green finished up on their own dime.

Comment

• Originally posted by Aargh
                            Let me see if I've got this right.

A player on scholarship can get 5 years of scholarship coverage in order to get a degree even if their eligibility has expired? I was unaware of that. I thought players like Green finished up on their own dime.
                            My understanding is that it is up to the school and can be on a case-by-case basis. All scholarships are one-year agreements.
                            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
                            ---------------------------------------
                            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
                            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
                            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Green

Maybe Doc can help us with this, because he seems to be somewhat on the inside, but I believe Green was on a medical scholarship, which a school can give to an athlete who's injured to the point of being unable to continue playing. Such a scholarship doesn't count against the limit.

Scholarships are for one year and are renewable annually, and the only significance of the five year period is that it's how long you get (barring a special medical exemption) to use your four years of eligibility. But I don't believe a school can give a scholarship to a player after he's used up his eligibility and not have it count against the 13. If that's correct, Ellis would need to redshirt if he wants to be on scholarship for a total of five years.

P.S. As is so often the case with our lazy and easily distracted crew, this has absolutely nothing to do with Orukpe and doesn't belong here, so I won't comment further without starting a separate thread.

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                                You're allowed 5 years plain and simple. You don't have to be eligible anymore and won't count against the 13. Same way I believe Zach Green was able to finish at WSU due to injury but still received assistance from his basketball 'ship. It has zero to do with redshirting.
                                The reasoning behind this is simple. Student athletes basically pull double duty by participating in sports. It may be difficult for some to graduate in four years so they usually get a fifth year of scholarship that does not count against the 13 eligible players.

A good friend of my played football at The Ohio State University and got his degree as a fifth year senior. It was thru his football scholarship but he wasn't eligible.

GO EO

:goshocks:

Comment

Working...
                                X