No announcement yet.

Any news on Orukpe?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Almost think freshman can play and redshirt, but not jucos. Is that right?

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan
      On the Coaches show tonight, Gregg Marshall sure seemed upbeat about EO giving Stutz a solid race for some serious playing time next Season. He seemed to even ponder on it being possibly pretty equal. He said EO is getting much better at positioning himself on the block, very close to the hoop, which is what is expected of our post players. He said that he wants Garrett to play better D. without fouling too much. The subject of a "Big Man Camp" was mentioned. However Coach said they are pricey and College players have to fork out their own bread for payment. Coach also mentioned a trip Overseas this very summer for our beloved Shocks.
      I'm not surprised that EO is even with GS. By next year EO should easily surpass GS with any improvement at all. IMHO, GS has almost been a bust for the team, not at all what anyone anticipated.

Comment

• Coach seems to be grooming EO and has proclaimed that he is very strict with him because of his solid potential. If AE would have redshirted, EO would have had to sink or swim this very Season. However, instead, EO payed his dues and has ample time to tune up and make this a twin-power 1-2 punch. Mr. Stutz and EO may even get some minutes together to shine.
        TWINPOWERS!!!!!!!
        Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan
          On the Coaches show tonight, Gregg Marshall sure seemed upbeat about EO giving Stutz a solid race for some serious playing time next Season. He seemed to even ponder on it being possibly pretty equal. He said EO is getting much better at positioning himself on the block, very close to the hoop, which is what is expected of our post players. He said that he wants Garrett to play better D. without fouling too much. The subject of a "Big Man Camp" was mentioned. However Coach said they are pricey and College players have to fork out their own bread for payment. Coach also mentioned a trip Overseas this very summer for our beloved Shocks.
          More lip service by Marshall. I truly hope EO develops into the player that we all want him to be. However, there were plenty of opportunities for Marshall to give him minutes this season if his progress was even remotely what coach was selling tonight. I will have to see it to believe it. In my opinion, player development is this coaching staff's weakest point.
          “Confrontation simply means meeting the truth head-on.”

Mike Krzyzewski

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopsnut
            Originally posted by forevershockerfan
            More lip service by Marshall. I truly hope EO develops into the player that we all want him to be. However, there were plenty of opportunities for Marshall to give him minutes this season if his progress was even remotely what coach was selling tonight. I will have to see it to believe it. In my opinion, player development is this coaching staff's weakest point.

A bust? Please.
            Goo Shockers

Comment

• Originally posted by shockall
              I'm not surprised that EO is even with GS. By next year EO should easily surpass GS with any improvement at all. IMHO, GS has almost been a bust for the team, not at all what anyone anticipated.
              Based on GM's comments when recruiting GS, if GS is a bust, GM isn't doing his job.

"Hank Iba decided he wouldn't play my team anymore. He told me that if he tried to get his team ready to play me, it would upset his team the rest of the season." Gene Johnson, WU Basketball coach, 1928-1933.

Comment

• Originally posted by hoopsnut
                Or this was a motivational tool of HCGM to get GS back to playing like he is capable of playing.

Comment

• It's hard to believe that Stutz is going to be a senior already. Wow.. But I'm not expecting him to average double figures (points and or rebounds) next year. I won't even put the pressure of that type expectation on him. I'm just hoping he can even start (stamina, coordination and foul issues).

Comment

• If Garrett plays the minutes of a starter next year, I'd be shocked if he didn't average double figures in scoring.

I also think Ehimen will be fine next year and show us a little something on the court.
                    Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                    RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                    Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                    ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                    Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                    Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Originally posted by SubGod22
                      If Garrett plays the minutes of a starter next year, I'd be shocked if he didn't average double figures in scoring.

I also think Ehimen will be fine next year and show us a little something on the court.
                      Garrett's only real issue is foul trouble. His per minute productivity is excellent, it is just a matter of staying out on the floor.

Given that opposing teams have moved towards trying to spread the floor against us and force our bigs to play the perimeter, I'm guessing we will play more zone next season with Garrett and EO being leaned on for more playing time (and having less ability to guard the perimeter than Gabe, JT, or Aaron).
                      "Cotton scared me - I left him alone." - B4MSU (Bear Nation poster) in reference to heckling players

Comment

• I was pondering a "fix" for GS and a help for EO. Is X into coaching? I would like to see his kind of fire and attitude in our bigs. I wouldn't mind a tech or two in the season, or GS getting ejected. I think a key to stopping the dribble drive is fear. If teams feared the interior, i think our guards are good enough to take care of the rest. I just don't think we are intimidating down low. think of what could have happened if Walker had been roughed up a bit, and if our bigs were intimidating in the Maui Tournament. Then again, I may be completely off my rocker.
                        People who think they know everything are a great annoyance to those of us who do. -Isaac Asimov

Comment

• Originally posted by shock
                          I was pondering a "fix" for GS and a help for EO. Is X into coaching? I would like to see his kind of fire and attitude in our bigs. I wouldn't mind a tech or two in the season, or GS getting ejected. I think a key to stopping the dribble drive is fear. If teams feared the interior, i think our guards are good enough to take care of the rest. I just don't think we are intimidating down low. think of what could have happened if Walker had been roughed up a bit, and if our bigs were intimidating in the Maui Tournament. Then again, I may be completely off my rocker.
                          Cliff has done some coaching and Carr has talked about it some in the past. Not sure about X but having some of his fire down low would be a great thing for this team. I'm hoping Hall has some of that in him.

I have nothing against playing zone. The guys will need to learn to do a better job of finding someone to box out, but being able to keep our big guys inside on D will help. Especially in Valley play against smaller teams who do a very good job of clearing the paint area of our bigs and getting easier dribble drives against us.

I'd also like to see us press more next year. We play better when the game is at a faster pace and we all know that most if not all of the Valley teams want to slow it way down against us. We HAVE to do what we can to speed them up and not just sit back and let others dictate the style of play every game.
                          Infinity Art Glass - Fantastic local artist and Shocker fan
                          RIP Guy Always A Shocker
                          Carpenter Place - A blessing to many young girls/women
                          ICT S.O.S - Great local cause fighting against human trafficking
                          Wartick Insurance Agency - Saved me money with more coverage.
                          Save Shocker Sports - A rallying cry

Comment

• Garrett would shed one to two fouls per game if he would only learn the precise meaning of vertical.

Comment

• I think that Orukpe HAS to show us something this next coming season. He has had enough time to 'learn' (especially since playing from a teenager), Juco, and at WSU.

Comment

• Originally posted by RoyalShock
                                Garrett would shed one to two fouls per game if he would only learn the precise meaning of vertical.
                                Agree, and he would benefit the team a whole lot more if he would play defense with his feet, rather than his arms & hands. Right now, GM can't use a defensive liability in the post position.

Comment

Working...
                                X