X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shocks by 19. 83-64
    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Am I alone in my thinking........this screams LaSalle repeat to me.

They didn't think our guys could slow them down. They were going to play their game and there was little we could do about it.

Don't come whining to me if it's 12-4 and Shaq has 4 layups and Markis 2 dunks and Archie has to take a timeout to try option 2.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
        Am I alone in my thinking........this screams LaSalle repeat to me.

They didn't think our guys could slow them down. They were going to play their game and there was little we could do about it.

Don't come whining to me if it's 12-4 and Shaq has 4 layups and Markis 2 dunks and Archie has to take a timeout to try option 2.
        You are not alone.

Comment

• Golden Flyers 73
          Pyrite Shockers 70

So let it be written.

So let it be done.

Comment

• By the way, I have NO problem discussing advantages and strengths of any opponent. UD is here because they ARE really good.

But can we put down the pipe on some of the talk? Best young coach advantage? What is that? And didn't our coach WHIP his older, BETTER and more accomplished (not to mention sweatier) brother last season? Nobody outside of Dayton thinks Archie is a better coach than Gregg. NOBODY, and that includes Sean.

Comment

Do they know where "Witchita" is located?
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

By the way, I have NO problem discussing advantages and strengths of any opponent. UD is here because they ARE really good.

But can we put down the pipe on some of the talk? Best young coach advantage? What is that? And didn't our coach WHIP his older, BETTER and more accomplished (not to mention sweatier) brother last season? Nobody outside of Dayton thinks Archie is a better coach than Gregg. NOBODY, and that includes Sean.
                I for one think Gregg's credentials are a little better than Archie's, but both coaches are on everyone's wish list when they are in the marked for a new HC. We hope those programs go after your coach and not ours so Miller stays at Dayton for several more years. However, we have heard GM has daughters of those ages they wouldn't want to leave their friends behind and he might wait until they are older. How much annual speculation is there on GM being picked off?

Comment

• Originally posted by Flyer Visitor View Post
                  I for one think Gregg's credentials are a little better than Archie's, but both coaches are on everyone's wish list when they are in the marked for a new HC. We hope those programs go after your coach and not ours so Miller stays at Dayton for several more years. However, we have heard GM has daughters of those ages they wouldn't want to leave their friends behind and he might wait until they are older. How much annual speculation is there on GM being picked off?
                  Gregg has 2 children. His son Kellen is a student at WSU and his daughter Maggie is a junior in high school.

There is speculation every year. The time we were really concerned was with Alabama 2 years ago. After that we gave Marshall a big raise and he is now top 10 in the country in salary. We will be concerned next year when Maggie graduates high school if we don't get out of the MVC.
                  Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Pretty much every P5 job every year, Gregg is at or near the top of their wish list. Most realize they can't get him.

No idea what Archie makes since his terms, best as I can find, haven't been disclosed, but I doubt it's the 3.5 million we're paying Gregg.

"A little better"?

Archie - 2017 A10 COY

Gregg - 4 time BigSouth COY 3 time (lolz) MVC COY, 2007 Hugh Durham MMCOY 2014 Naismith, IBA, AP, Rupp and NABC National COY

Archie - 140-62 .692 winning %

Gregg - 454-172 .725 winning %

Archie - 0-1 NIT

Gregg - 5-1 NIT Champion

Archie - 5-3 NCAA best finish Elite 8

Gregg - 10-12 (9-5 at WSU) best finish Final Four

Gregg is the winningest coach all time at 2 different schools. Archie isn't the winningest coach in his family.

Archie is a hell of coach. He's not on the same level with Gregg Marshall, at least not today.

Comment

• So I keep hearing "small ball" in reference to our esteemed opponents.
                      Lets assume for the sake of argument that they find a way to neutralize Shaq and Willis, a tall task no doubt but Archie is a good coach and their players are on scholarship too.
                      Here is my honest question:
                      If you are playing small ball, how on earth to you plan to block out Markis McDuffie and Rashard Kelly?

I'm not even being snarky here. Those dudes hit the glass HARD and are big and explosive athletes. You think an undersized forward can keep them from second chance points?

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
                        So I keep hearing "small ball" in reference to our esteemed opponents.
                        Lets assume for the sake of argument that they find a way to neutralize Shaq and Willis, a tall task no doubt but Archie is a good coach and their players are on scholarship too.
                        Here is my honest question:
                        If you are playing small ball, how on earth to you plan to block out Markis McDuffie and Rashard Kelly?

I'm not even being snarky here. Those dudes hit the glass HARD and are big and explosive athletes. You think an undersized forward can keep them from second chance points?
                        Considering they don't rebound well anyway, I don't think they can. We should win battle of the boards by a lot. Of course that is if we miss shots ;)

They definitely won't get many offensive boards against us
                        "He called me around noon and was thrilled," Brandt said. "He said he was going to be a Shocker forever." -- RIP Guy, you WILL indeed be a Shocker forever!

Comment

Didn't think about that until I looked at their KenPom page. Holy cow they're eerily similar.
                          "In God we trust, all others must bring data." - W. Edwards Deming

Comment

• Originally posted by King Rollo View Post
                            Golden Flyers 73
                            Pyrite Shockers 70

So let it be written.

So let it be done.
                            Yes, my spelling sucks...

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

Pretty much every P5 job every year, Gregg is at or near the top of their wish list. Most realize they can't get him.

No idea what Archie makes since his terms, best as I can find, haven't been disclosed, but I doubt it's the 3.5 million we're paying Gregg.u

"A little better"?

Archie - 2017 A10 COY

Gregg - 4 time BigSouth COY 3 time (lolz) MVC COY, 2007 Hugh Durham MMCOY 2014 Naismith, IBA, AP, Rupp and NABC National COY

Archie - 140-62 .692 winning %

Gregg - 454-172 .725 winning %

Archie - 0-1 NIT

Gregg - 5-1 NIT Champion

Archie - 5-3 NCAA best finish Elite 8

Gregg - 10-12 (9-5 at WSU) best finish Final Four

Gregg is the winningest coach all time at 2 different schools. Archie isn't the winningest coach in his family.

Archie is a hell of coach. He's not on the same level with Gregg Marshall, at least not today.
                              Archie has only been a head coach 5 years. Gregg has been at WSU twice as long as that and I believe was a HC prior to taking the WSU job. He will of course have more chips. But compare the first 5 years of both careers and Archie has done more. I think the same can be said between Sean and Archie in the first 5 years. It's especially a critical factor in building recruiting pipelines and I think we can all agree getting talent that has huge upside is critical at a mid-major.

But my dad was a football coach and I have a brother with 3 Super Bowl rings, so I know in the field of athletics it all comes down to what your results are. Archie is ahead of Gregg at the 5 year mark. The potential to be better is just opportunity right now. Gregg has actual been there, done that credentials that Archie is still working towards which is why I feel Gregg ranks higher on those lists tucked in AD desk drawers from all the Top 15 programs in the country that they pull out if they need to replace a HC. Both of these talented coaches are on all those lists. Archie is a tough-nose competitor at heart. I know he is going to take one heck of a swing at putting together a game plan to out coach and beat Gregg. He already mentioned Gregg and how he's one of the best coaches in the post-selection show interview. It's like the game within the game.

Also, I think both coaches are being paid well. Archie is under Gregg, but again he hasn't been at UD as long. We too are trying to make it as hard as possible for any school to pick him off.
                              Last edited by Flyer Visitor; March 14, 2017, 04:09 PM.

Comment

But compare the first 5 years of both careers and Archie has done more. I think the same can be said between Sean and Archie in the first 5 years.
                                After five years at Xavier, Sean Miller had taken his third seeded team to the Elite Eight (not some fluky 11 seed on a heater) and returned to the Sweet Sixteen the following year with a fourth seeded squad. All this while in the same A-10 where your Flyers reside. Granted, Sean was at a far superior program.

Archie Miller is a nice young coach at a decent little program. Do not insult Gregg Marshall by comparing him to Archie Miller.

Comment

Working...
                                X