WSU Versus Dayton Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WSU Versus Dayton Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Here's the deal. Go South young Shocks (30-4) to Indianapolis to play the mighty small ball team Dayton Flyers. (24-7). The Shocks will spring forward against a team an announcer just said that can beat us. We were only a 10th Seed? Pla-eeeese!!!!!!!!!!! Charles Barkley knows we got the shaft. That alone will fuel the Shocks to an Overdrive Offensive mode and Pest, Play Angry De-Fensive mode in this game. The icing on the cake is the winner gets the spoils in a game most likely Kentucky whom the Selection Committee seems to dig on putting them in our bracket. Nuff said except my prediction is two-fold. Yes, our beloved Shocks will defeat these Flyers which means I also predict this will not be our last Prediction Thread this very Season.

WSU Bracket Buster MTXE/ Play Angry/ Not Satisfied Shocks 75

Dayton Small Ball Flyers---------------------------------------------68
    Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

I havent watched Dayton play much this year, but they appear to go fairly small. Might work to our advantage. They still have Scoochie Smith, who is a heck of a player.

WSU 75
    Dayton 70

Comment

This is in the SS discussion but felt it was more relevant here.

Let's break down Dayton:

-dropped their last two games to George Washington U. 81-87 and Davidson 67-73
      -shoot as the 35th best 3 PT squad in the nation at 38.7%
      -run about 8-9 deep with three guys averaging 13+
      -not a great rebounding team (244th)
      -not a strong FT shooting team (219th)
      -takes care of ball (29th A/TO)

Notable wins: ETSU, Vandy, Rhode Island 2x, VCU

Notable losses: George Washington, Davidson, UMASS, Nebraska

If we can get their top three scorers in some early foul trouble and force some turnovers I find it hard to believe they match up very well with us anywhere else. Shox win it 76-62. Kentucky, here we come.

Comment

Dayton lost their last 2 games to George Wash. and Davidson. They swept Rhode Island which is impressive. They beat Alabama by 5 and lost to Nebraska by 2 and St. Mary's by 5.

This 10th Seed makes me so made I could eat fried chicken and spit nails at the same time. More so, just think about how much motivation our Shocks will gain from this.

Comment

One thing working to Dayton's advantage is that this will be a virtual home game for them. Dayton is only a couple hours from Indy so lots of their fans will be able to take a day trip while its much harder for our fans.
          Its a good landing if you can walk away, its a great landing if the plane can be reused the next day.

Comment

Who's going to Indy?

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
              One thing working to Dayton's advantage is that this will be a virtual home game for them. Dayton is only a couple hours from Indy so lots of their fans will be able to take a day trip while its much harder for our fans.
              Another shocker.

WSU will be favorites again (-4) in another seeding mismatch.
              Deuces Valley.
              ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Originally posted by WheatShock View Post
                Great point. Our Road Warriors like to silence folk on the road so I am not worried.

Comment

78-60 SHOX
                  The Assman

Comment

This was posted on the UDPride board, compliments of Gottless

Doug Gottlieb‏Verified account @GottliebShow 31m31 minutes ago

#Dayton over Wichita. Dayton starts all seniors, all tourney tested, not soft. Will be a good game, but UD is impeccably coached like WSU.

When a reader responded that UD will be a big underdog-

Doug Gottlieb Retweeted Matt Stephens

Then load the F up on the Flyers son

Comment

Gottlieb shaping back into form.

Too bad CBS blackblalled him and he won't be calling any games this year. #suckstosuck
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

The Flyers will be tested on the boards to prove their mettle. I know it already.

Comment

From Haslametrics

Wichita State plays at roughly the same level defensively as they do offensively. The team ranks 14th nationally in defensive efficiency, allowing about 87 points every 100 trips upcourt vs. AO. Wichita State will do a number on many an opponent's shooting percentage, as the team ranks in the top-25 in three of our four major defensive field goal categories. They allow AO to convert only 28.0% of their three-pointers (tenth in the nation), 49.9% of their near-proximity attempts (23rd), and 36.4% of their total shots from the field (eighth). Wichita State is also one of the better teams when it comes to not allowing opponents to convert scoring chances off of offensive rebounds. The squad allows AO to convert only 4.5% of all second-chance opportunities (ranked 33rd in the NCAA).

Wichita State has been playing better basketball in their most recent outings, as evidenced by the team's #26 ranking in momentum. Wichita State has also been one of the most erratic teams in college basketball this year (currently ranked sixth from the bottom overall in consistency), which makes the outcomes of their future games far more difficult to predict.

Dayton succeeds primarily through their offense. They are ranked 46th in offensive efficiency and score in excess of 112 points every 100 possessions vs. AO. Dayton allows very few breakaway opportunities for the opposition, which typically means they take pretty good care of the ball on offense. The team's rating vs. AO for potential breakaway points allowed off of steals is 5.54, which ranks #1 in the country. Dayton is also an excellent shooting team, capable of converting from multiple locations on the court and ranking in the top-50 in three of our four primary field goal categories. They convert 40.1% of their three-pointers (29th in the nation), 68.6% of their near-proximity attempts (24th), and 48.8% of their total shots from the field (36th) vs. AO. If Dayton does have a weakness offensively, it would have to be the team's difficulties obtaining and converting second-chance opportunities from offensive rebounds. The squad has a second-chance conversion percentage of just 4.5% vs. AO, which ranks 35th-worst in the nation.

Comment

:good: See?

Originally posted by LoneStar48 View Post
                            From Haslametrics If Dayton does have a weakness offensively, it would have to be the team's difficulties obtaining and converting second-chance opportunities from offensive rebounds. The squad has a second-chance conversion percentage of just 4.5% vs. AO, which ranks 35th-worst in the nation.

Comment

Gregg 82
                              Archie 73

Comment

Working...
                              X