16-17 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
    Member...their goal is to eliminate non P-5 schools in the first 2 rounds ... we will be matched-up with a mid
    Yall keep parroting that line, but I think you lack sufficient facts to back it up. If that is "the goal" of the committee, explain the following:

2016 St. Joe's (8 seed) - 9 seed Cincy (KenPom #31), 1 seed Oregon (#13)
    2016 VCU (10 seed) - 7 seed Oregon State (KenPom #60), 2 seed Oklahoma (#8), 3 seed Texas A&M (#16)
    2016 Gonzaga (11 seed) - 6 seed Seton Hall (KenPom #30), 3 seed Utah (#28)
    2015 Gonzaga (2 seed) - 7 seed Iowa (KenPom #25), 3 seed Iowa State (#14), 1 seed Duke (#6)
    2015 UNI (5 seed) - 12 seed Wyoming (KenPom #99), 4 seed Louisville (#19), 1 seed Villanova (#4)
    2015 WSU (7 seed) - 10 seed Indiana (KenPom #50), 2 seed KU (#12), 3 seed Notre Dame (#10)
    2014 San Diego St (4 seed) - 13 seed New Mexico St (KenPom #71), 5 seed Oklahoma (#29), 1 seed Arizona (#2)
    2014 BYU (10 seed) - 7 seed Oregon (KenPom #27), 2 seed Wisconsin (#10)

That's an awful lot of mid-majors who got favorable matchups (according to KenPom), and also, notice how many BCS teams those mids were lined up to play.

The narrative you guys are spouting falls apart quickly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
      Yall keep parroting that line, but I think you lack sufficient facts to back it up. If that is "the goal" of the committee, explain the following:

2016 St. Joe's (8 seed) - 9 seed Cincy (KenPom #31), 1 seed Oregon (#13)
      2016 VCU (10 seed) - 7 seed Oregon State (KenPom #60), 2 seed Oklahoma (#8), 3 seed Texas A&M (#16)
      2016 Gonzaga (11 seed) - 6 seed Seton Hall (KenPom #30), 3 seed Utah (#28)
      2015 Gonzaga (2 seed) - 7 seed Iowa (KenPom #25), 3 seed Iowa State (#14), 1 seed Duke (#6)
      2015 UNI (5 seed) - 12 seed Wyoming (KenPom #99), 4 seed Louisville (#19), 1 seed Villanova (#4)
      2015 WSU (7 seed) - 10 seed Indiana (KenPom #50), 2 seed KU (#12), 3 seed Notre Dame (#10)
      2014 San Diego St (4 seed) - 13 seed New Mexico St (KenPom #71), 5 seed Oklahoma (#29), 1 seed Arizona (#2)
      2014 BYU (10 seed) - 7 seed Oregon (KenPom #27), 2 seed Wisconsin (#10)

That's an awful lot of mid-majors who got favorable matchups (according to KenPom), and also, notice how many BCS teams those mids were lined up to play.

The narrative you guys are spouting falls apart quickly.
      But the committee doesn't start using KenPom and other metrics until NEXT year.
      "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
      ---------------------------------------
      Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
      "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
      "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
        But the committee doesn't start using KenPom and other metrics until NEXT year.
        Actually, they are using them this year and have supposedly been using them in prior years - the "next year" part relates to potential implementation of a comprehensive metric in lieu of (or in tandem with) the RPI for the nitty gritty sheets.

Comment

• @im4wsu:...

1) They've said they've used KenPom for years. Next year there will just be an added focus on it in a more official capacity.
          2) I'm saying that I can find a ton of examples of mid-majors who were given a BCS-filled route through teams that could be considered overrated for their seeds. Pretty much the exact opposite of "they always give mid-majors an unfairly difficult route, and disproportionately make mids face other mids in order to start weeding them out".

Comment

• Good data JH4P. Appreciate the examples you cited. But... (there's always a but - lol)...it sure "seems" like over the years there has been quite a bit of mids against mids early on. I'm obviously looking out for our Shockers moreso when I say that. It stems from the year we had to play VCU in tourney. If memory serves...I believe the first year Gregg got us in. Add in we usually have an unbelievable "path".
            FINAL FOURS:
            1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
            1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
            Number of Times Ranked: 157
            Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
            Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
            Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
            #3 - Dec. 2017
            #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
            #2 ~ March 2014
            Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
              Good data JH4P. Appreciate the examples you cited. But... (there's always a but - lol)...it sure "seems" like over the years there has been quite a bit of mids against mids early on. I'm obviously looking out for our Shockers moreso when I say that. It stems from the year we had to play VCU in tourney. If memory serves...I believe the first year Gregg got us in. Add in we usually have an unbelievable "path".
              Agreed. In addition to VCU/WSU, I always think of the one year I genuinely believed Butler and Old Dominion would go on deep runs, only to be pitted against each other in an 8/9 game (which Butler won at the buzzer en route to the title game).

Comment

• Welp, this year there are so few bids for mids that the risk is pretty remote.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                  Welp, this year there are so few bids for mids that the risk is pretty remote.
                  rpi is all for the p5

Comment

• I wonder how many TVS in Normal are tuned into Georgia Tech versus Pittsburgh. Seems like a GT loss would be in ISUR's favor.

Neither are all that good.
                    Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                      I wonder how many TVS in Normal are tuned into Georgia Tech versus Pittsburgh. Seems like a GT loss would be in ISUR's favor.

Neither are all that good.
                      These P5 opening round games have the look of NIT games.
                      Deuces Valley.
                      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Pitt takes out GT. Surely, SURELY, they're eliminated.
                        Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• We would destroy St. Mary's and yet they are likely to be a higher seed than us. Oh well.
                          The mountains are calling, and I must go.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
                            We would destroy St. Mary's and yet they are likely to be a higher seed than us. Oh well.
                            Their resume is slightly better than ours and they are relatively close to us in KenPom from beating up on bad teams like we did. I'm slightly (very slightly) worried we are bad as St. Mary's looks and just haven't been tested yet.

Comment

• Watching Gonzaga and Saint Mary's. I would take ISUR over Saint Mary's any day. The fact that they get more respect than we do is laughable.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                                Watching Gonzaga and Saint Mary's. I would take ISUR over Saint Mary's any day. The fact that they get more respect than we do is laughable.
                                St. Mary's resume is actually pretty weak. It's not that match better than the Jailbirds. But the thing helping St. Mary's is out is that they were preseason Top 20 and have been in the polls ALL YEAR. That absolutely makes a difference whether anybody wants to admit it or not.

Thankfully, for us next year, we're gonna start off Top 15 from the get-go.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X