WSU Versus Seton Hall Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxlax View Post
    So if you pitch the cable and go with Roku/Apple TV what is the best ISP company and brand/ model wifi router to use?

I am about to that point.
    I use Cox for ISP. With Cox you get access to ESPN3. I prefer to use Apple TV for viewing ESPN3.

#cutthecord
    ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
      I pay $285/mo for cable with the HBO and all sports package. It's ridiculous.
      I'm the same. $300 a month for basically everything Cox offers in English. Might be relocating soon and will likely downgrade to just Internet and basic (for WSU games). That would cut $200 a month to spend on all the other programming, which would cost about $100.
      Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
        I hope that includes your internet and telephone. Still ridiculous, I agree.
        Nope, just cable. Another hundy for internet and phone.

Comment

So if you pitch the cable and go with Roku/Apple TV what is the best ISP company and brand/ model wifi router to use?

Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
          I use Cox for ISP. With Cox you get access to ESPN3. I prefer to use Apple TV for viewing ESPN3.

#cutthecord
          so my questions would be

Cox 22 is tv based only correct? So no way to watch those games online?

Also doing prelim on Roku/Apple TV - seriously I hear great things on each. I'm a Mac dude, iPhone, Macbook etc. so Apple TV makes sense but tbh I dont think Im tied to it. What is the biggest difference? Their both app based. Some apps are subscription such as HBO etc. Looking at Sling I'd be paying $35 a month for what I want which isnt bad. But what else would i possibly be looking at?

Comment

I have tried everything but Chromecast. Premium cable/Basic cable/AT&T Uverse/Cox/no cable (also called OTA)/Roku/Apple TV/SlingTV/Netflix/Amazon Prime/PC/Mac/Samsung/iPhone .... here's my take:

Roku vs AppleTV

For streaming stuff to your TV Roku is vastly superior to AppleTV in terms of pure quantity of content. You can install 1000's of channels -- but keep in mind 98% of those channels are crap content. Still, if there's a channel you want to add it to your Roku, you can -- but with AppleTV it's a no go, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit (at least that was true when I review it, maybe they have finally enhanced it by now?). I found myself wanting to add stuff to my AppleTV that I couldn't so I bailed on it and bought the Roku -- great decision on my part. Roku also has the ability to play games, though I actually never tried it.

AppleTV has a better interface. It's a bit more responsive and the controller is better quality. If everything in your house is Apple (computer + iPhone), there are advantages to purchasing the AppleTV in terms of device integration and iTunes integration, but other than that you will eventually get frustrated with their closed system and inability to add channels, and wish you had a Roku. Example: On AppleTV you cannot use your $25 SlingTV account and watch the Shockers. That's a non-starter if you want to watch the Shox without Cable, so screw AppleTV. Again, that was true when I reviewed them last year, but maybe they have added the SlingTV app to their lineup? Somebody verify.

There are different models of Roku -- make sure you get the HDMI version, it's worth the extra duckets.
            Last edited by Kung Wu; December 17, 2015, 08:28 AM.
            Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• The mainstream video streamers offer hundreds of entertainment apps, from DirecTV Now to Netflix to Nick Jr. to NBC News to NHL, and the list is growing all the time. Here's a big chart showing which of the top 75-odd apps are available on which device.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                This confirms what I posted previously. You cannot watch Amazon Prime/Amazon Video or Sling TV on the new AppleTV!

That makes it a no go -- no Shox.

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
                  Cox 22 is tv based only correct? So no way to watch those games online?
                  They have Cox Contour which allows you to stream to tablets and phones while in your house. I do not believe that it works when away from your house, but someone else will have to verify.

To watch the Shox games that are on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3, you want:

Roku (for TV) + SlingTV (for access to ESPN content on your Roku or mobile devices)

SlingTV allows you to watch from your mobile device or from your Roku. Note: You can only be logged into SlingTV from one location, so you can't share your SlingTV password and give others access while you are simultaneously watching it. Example: Your family can't be logged into SlingTV watching the Shox at home while you are at work using the same account -- you would need two separate SlingTV accounts for that. They can of course watch anything else on Roku while you are streaming the game to your tablet though.

Also doing prelim on Roku/Apple TV - seriously I hear great things on each. I'm a Mac dude, iPhone, Macbook etc. so Apple TV makes sense but tbh I dont think Im tied to it. What is the biggest difference? Their both app based. Some apps are subscription such as HBO etc. Looking at Sling I'd be paying $35 a month for what I want which isnt bad. But what else would i possibly be looking at?[/QUOTE]

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                    Also doing prelim on Roku/Apple TV - seriously I hear great things on each. I'm a Mac dude, iPhone, Macbook etc. so Apple TV makes sense but tbh I dont think Im tied to it. What is the biggest difference? Their both app based. Some apps are subscription such as HBO etc. Looking at Sling I'd be paying $35 a month for what I want which isnt bad. But what else would i possibly be looking at?
                    Another vote for this set up. Mac desktop, laptop, iPhone, iPad and we still have a roku. We had an Apple TV, and it worked really well, but it didn't have Amazon Prime capabilities.

If anyone is interested in getting their feet wet with cord cutting, Google is running a promotion right now where you get a $20 Google Play credit for buying a $30 Chromecast. You can use the credit to rent or buy movies and TV shows. If you have an Android phone, you can also use the credit for any number of apps.

Sidenote: I think the best response we've had to the Seton Hall troll was to turn the Seton Hall predictions thread into a TV device review thread.

Comment

• Just one note: you cannot get Sling TV on Apple TV. You need Roku or Amazon Fire Stick. You probably are able to use Google Chrome Cast and cast it to your TV, but I have not tried that.

Comment

• For Cox 22 games, I have two choices. Mooch off family or friends and watch game at their house. Or listen to Mike Kennedy live, and watch replay on ESPN3.

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
                          They have Cox Contour which allows you to stream to tablets and phones while in your house. I do not believe that it works when away from your house, but someone else will have to verify.

To watch the Shox games that are on ESPN/ESPN2/ESPN3, you want:

Roku (for TV) + SlingTV (for access to ESPN content on your Roku or mobile devices)

SlingTV allows you to watch from your mobile device or from your Roku. Note: You can only be logged into SlingTV from one location, so you can't share your SlingTV password and give others access while you are simultaneously watching it. Example: Your family can't be logged into SlingTV watching the Shox at home while you are at work using the same account -- you would need two separate SlingTV accounts for that. They can of course watch anything else on Roku while you are streaming the game to your tablet though.
                          yeah like I said I'm not tied to apple TV. It's looking like Amazon etc can be streamed buts its like a stream of a stream and quite frankly I dont want to deal with it. Roku looks good

My son has an xbox 360 so most of it can be done from there but its just a hassle to move it from room to room.

Im wondering is Cox Contour you have to have the TV set up? Perhaps even the most basic of them

Comment

• Does Cox still offer that very basic package that includes 22? It would seem that plus Roku might be a good option. Does that still get access to the full Watch ESPN, or does that cost a little extra through Roku? Heck, if i could knock even $50 off my bill I'd be a happy camper.
                            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                              For Cox 22 games, I have two choices. Mooch off family or friends and watch game at their house. Or listen to Mike Kennedy live, and watch replay on ESPN3.
                              Yup they seem to do IP blocks and blackout any local IPs that are not subscribed to Cox 22. I use a very roundabout way to get it. I log into ESPN3 using my friends xfinity account from Seattle, then connect my Xbox to the hotspot on my phone in order to watch the game. The account and Wireless IP bypasses the Cox blackout.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockBand View Post
                                Does Cox still offer that very basic package that includes 22? It would seem that plus Roku might be a good option. Does that still get access to the full Watch ESPN, or does that cost a little extra through Roku? Heck, if i could knock even $50 off my bill I'd be a happy camper.
                                basic does not include ESPNU

Comment

Working...
                                X