No announcement yet.

WSU Versus Seton Hall Predictions and Pregame Discussions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just an fyi if you guys forgot that this is the game preview thread and not off topic for cord cutting.

Riveting discussion on cord cutting though, I've been entertained.
    ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by Kung Wu View Post
      I have tried everything but Chromecast. Premium cable/Basic cable/AT&T Uverse/Cox/no cable (also called OTA)/Roku/Apple TV/SlingTV/Netflix/Amazon Prime/PC/Mac/Samsung/iPhone .... here's my take:

Roku vs AppleTV

For streaming stuff to your TV Roku is vastly superior to AppleTV in terms of pure quantity of content. You can install 1000's of channels -- but keep in mind 98% of those channels are crap content. Still, if there's a channel you want to add it to your Roku, you can -- but with AppleTV it's a no go, you get what you get and you don't throw a fit (at least that was true when I review it, maybe they have finally enhanced it by now?). I found myself wanting to add stuff to my AppleTV that I couldn't so I bailed on it and bought the Roku -- great decision on my part. Roku also has the ability to play games, though I actually never tried it.

AppleTV has a better interface. It's a bit more responsive and the controller is better quality. If everything in your house is Apple (computer + iPhone), there are advantages to purchasing the AppleTV in terms of device integration and iTunes integration, but other than that you will eventually get frustrated with their closed system and inability to add channels, and wish you had a Roku. Example: On AppleTV you cannot use your $25 SlingTV account and watch the Shockers. That's a non-starter if you want to watch the Shox without Cable, so screw AppleTV. Again, that was true when I reviewed them last year, but maybe they have added the SlingTV app to their lineup? Somebody verify.

There are different models of Roku -- make sure you get the HDMI version, it's worth the extra duckets.
      Stay away from the Roku Streaming Stick as I went through two of them in six months. Roku is a little more time consuming setting up and their customer service has much to be desired. The first one went out just out of the full warranty, so I had to send it back and they wouldn't send me a new one until they received the one I sent. Took about a week and they outsource their customer service it sounds like to India. After the second one went out within a week of getting it, I went with Apple TV and love it. I use my parents login for Watch ESPN and watch all the games on ESPN3, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNU, and SEC Network. Still have basic cable and internet through Cox (WSU games on 22) and have NetFlix. Still have cut my bill by more than $60 a month.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
        Just an fyi if you guys forgot that this is the game preview thread and not off topic for cord cutting.

Riveting discussion on cord cutting though, I've been entertained.

lol

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post
          so my questions would be

Cox 22 is tv based only correct? So no way to watch those games online?
          The problem for those of us in the Valley region is that if the game is on Cox 22 and internet streamed via ESPN3 it is blocked for us. We have to watch it only on Cox 22. The rest of the nation can watch via the internet using ESPN3.

So, to be a cheap as possible and watch as many live WSU games as possible via ESPN:
          Cox Internet Premier = $65 (really needed for the bandwidth)
          Cox Starter TV = $31 (to get Cox 22)
          Roku + Sling.com + Sports = $25 (that gets you WatchESPN, ESPN3, ESPN, ESPN2, ESPN U, ESPN News, TNT, TBS, CNN, HGTV, Food Net, Travel, AMC, TruTV, ESPN SEC, ESPN Buzzer Beater, etc.)

The total will be about $120. If you also paid for Netflix, Amazon Prime, and HBO (via Sling) you would pay about $40 more.

If you are OK with listening to the game live on radio and then watching it after you can get by with just Cox internet and the Roku. The WatchESPN app has all the games for free about 30 mins after they are over. That would drop your bill to just $65/mo.

Comment

• I've started a "Cutting The Cord" thread in Off Topic, as this is a topic that merits its own place.

I've put boltforge's post in to start it off.
            Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

• Originally posted by Awesome Sauce Malone View Post

lol
              Come on McNulty...

Comment

• Also, Tim Brando will be in the house calling the game. He's one of my favorites. He's also hilariously awesome with this tweet.

Comment

• I think an SNer in attendance needs to get a selfie with Brando along with a copy of Saturday's game program to prove he was really in the arena! :)
                  Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don't matter, and those who matter don't mind. ~Dr. Seuss

Comment

This confirms what I posted previously. You cannot watch Amazon Prime/Amazon Video or Sling TV on the new AppleTV!

That makes it a no go -- no Shox.
                    Sure you can, you would just need an Apple device (iPhone, iPad, etc.) to AirPlay the content. Less streamlined yes, but still available. I have an old AppleTV and AirPlay Prime content all the time at full resolution, and can pause, rewind, or fast forward through the remote like any other show.

EDIT: Whoops... sorry on the tangent after the anti-tangent.
                    Last edited by SHOCKvalue; December 17, 2015, 10:54 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                      I pay $285/mo for cable with the HBO and all sports package. It's ridiculous.
                      It is outrageous. They saw you coming. I pay DirecTV a little over $100.00 for the 175 channel option plus sports. No HBO or other premium channels.

Your provider will reduce the cost, if you call and threaten to move your account. I did so recently with DirecTV and my cost was reduced by about $75.00.

In the December 17, 2015 issue of the Wichita Eagle, there is an article that might interest you. It begins on page 12C. The title is "Amazon Prime is beginning to look a lot like cable." The subject of the article is about more than Amazon Prime. The article discusses sources of digital programming and consumer alternatives. (I am not promoting Amazon. In fact, I hate Amazon.)

The author of the article is Nina Metz of the Chicago Tribune.
                      "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by rjl View Post
                        I'm 41 and haven't had cable since 2007. I've got plenty of money for it--I just got tired of paying for a bunch of crap I never watched, or an HBO channel that aired a show I did watch 50 more times that week.

Right now I use Chromecast and stream everything to my TV. For ESPN, I have a Sling.tv subscription. I use my username and password for Sling.tv on ESPN3.

I probably have more patience than most when it comes to this stuff as tech is a hobby of mine (along with home audio, music, and various other things), but it's getting to the point anymore where it's very user friendly.
                        Not friendly to me. When I pull out the rolling cabinetry for my television, it exposes a jungle of cables and devices, which makes my eyes glaze over.

I admire your competence and patience with your system. I will never have either.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Agree with RDR. We have a pretty loaded cable subscription, internet package, and home phone through Cox (only because of KS22-Shox). I called about 18 months ago, and they "re-packaged" a couple of my tiers and gave me a $50 per month credit for the next year, lowering my rates by a total of about $85 per month. At the end of that year, my bill jumped back up $50, so I called and complained. I was seriously looking at options for moving, but they gave me a new, no end date discount of jut under $56 per month, so overall, I'm down about $90 per month from where I was 2 years ago. Hate to say it, but the squeaky wheel gets the grease. Probably helps that I've been a Cox customer for 20 years and have given them way too much money already.
                          "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
                            I just remember the commercials back in the 80s that talked about getting the loop so that you could get KSAS. Which, of course, had Major Astro, so it was an essential item for the non cable-ready TVs!
                            Apparently Major Astro was a favorite of mine as a young child. But I couldn't properly enunciate his name, so it came out "Doug Gottlieb". (aka Major A$$hole)

Comment

There are different models of Roku -- make sure you get the HDMI version, it's worth the extra duckets.
                              My tech gave the same advice plus get the cabled version. I think the upgrade cost is about $25-$30.

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                                For Cox 22 games, I have two choices. Mooch off family or friends and watch game at their house. Or listen to Mike Kennedy live, and watch replay on ESPN3.
                                We got a sling box and put it at our son house and can now watch the games live. They cost less than 100 dollars.

Comment

Working...
                                X