No announcement yet.

2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sports Illustrated asks the question, "Is This the End of Wichita State's Run?" in this Seth Davis penned article:

From the wide-open battle for No. 1 to the Hall of Fame coaches on hot seats, here are 10 storylines to watch in college basketball this season.

From the article: "Most of the time, when a mid-major plays deep into the NCAA tournament, it regresses within a year or two. That’s what makes what Gregg Marshall is doing at Wichita State so remarkable. The Shockers have remained among the nation’s best teams even after reaching the 2013 Final Four. The following year, they gave Kentucky its toughest test before falling in the second round, 78-76. Last year, Wichita State returned to the Sweet 16, where it lost to Notre Dame. Contrast that with George Mason, which has won just one NCAA tournament game since it went to the 2006 Final Four; and VCU, which has never made it back to the Sweet 16 following its run in 2011."

Gives love to FVV and RB but also points to 3G as the catalyst for WSU's success.

Okay, nothing we didn't already know. But the title of the thread is Media Love and we're getting it in spades this season.

Comment

• Originally posted by Bluzrover View Post
      Sports Illustrated asks the question, "Is This the End of Wichita State's Run?" in this Seth Davis penned article:

From the wide-open battle for No. 1 to the Hall of Fame coaches on hot seats, here are 10 storylines to watch in college basketball this season.

From the article: "Most of the time, when a mid-major plays deep into the NCAA tournament, it regresses within a year or two. That’s what makes what Gregg Marshall is doing at Wichita State so remarkable. The Shockers have remained among the nation’s best teams even after reaching the 2013 Final Four. The following year, they gave Kentucky its toughest test before falling in the second round, 78-76. Last year, Wichita State returned to the Sweet 16, where it lost to Notre Dame. Contrast that with George Mason, which has won just one NCAA tournament game since it went to the 2006 Final Four; and VCU, which has never made it back to the Sweet 16 following its run in 2011."

Gives love to FVV and RB but also points to 3G as the catalyst for WSU's success.

Okay, nothing we didn't already know. But the title of the thread is Media Love and we're getting it in spades this season.
      Is it a fact or Seth’s speculation that coach Marshall would have accepted if Texas had offered? I’m sure he would have seriously considered an offer, however I’ve never read where he was quoted that he would have accepted.
      "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• I still feel as though our arrow is pointing emphatically UP! I feel like each new recruiting class is better than the last...

It would be silly to say GM is not the catalyst, but I would also argue that if he left tomorrow, we will not fall off the map.

I also would argue that Seth's premise is wrong, and why we have not followed the path of George Mason and VCU is that we don't consider ourselves middle major...

If we had made better hires in the 90s, we would have had plenty of success. Those 3 hires in a row would have tanked even the greatest power program too. I dont believe we were ever on par with your average mid major, even when our teams sucked.

This attitude can only be found within our fan base, and outsiders will never see us through that lens. So we will always be the anomoly in this whole mid major test tube.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
          I still feel as though our arrow is pointing emphatically UP! I feel like each new recruiting class is better than the last...

It would be silly to say GM is not the catalyst, but I would also argue that if he left tomorrow, we will not fall off the map.

I also would argue that Seth's premise is wrong, and why we have not followed the path of George Mason and VCU is that we don't consider ourselves middle major...

If we had made better hires in the 90s, we would have had plenty of success. Those 3 hires in a row would have tanked even the greatest power program too. I dont believe we were ever on par with your average mid major, even when our teams sucked.

This attitude can only be found within our fan base, and outsiders will never see us through that lens. So we will always be the anomoly in this whole mid major test tube.
          Well, Gonzaga has set the bar for long term success. We are well on our way. The question everyone is asking (and rightfully so) is if we will be an elite team in 2016-17. That's a great question, as even the Syracuse's and UConn's of the world will occasionally miss a tournament. Next year we won't have any seniors, and it's a safe bet that a significant number of pundits will write us off at the beginning of the year. I feel fairly confident that we will again go dancing each of the next two years.
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerPrez View Post
            If we had made better hires in the 90s, we would have had plenty of success. Those 3 hires in a row would have tanked even the greatest power program too.
            Climbing out of the financial hole the athletic department was in and the Roundhouse Renaissance spearheaded by Jim Schaus were very important elements in turning around Shocker basketball and Shocker athletics in general. There is no question that we had fallen behind the power programs in a big way from a facilities and amenities standpoint. President John Bardo has now had another important element to the equation with his aggressive capital improvement and growth plans. Right now we are in a success breeds success mode. That is a hell of a lot more fund than the situation in the moribund 90's. Hopefully, we will be able to sustain the current environment and culture.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
              Is it a fact or Seth’s speculation that coach Marshall would have accepted if Texas had offered? I’m sure he would have seriously considered an offer, however I’ve never read where he was quoted that he would have accepted.
              I don't suppose anyone knows that it is a fact (and Lynn would undoubtedly still have had plenty to say about it) but Mike Kennedy has said publicly on several occasions that Texas was the job he thought Marshall would be most likely to take if he ever left.
              The fact that man is master of his actions is due to his being able to deliberate about them.-- Thomas Aquinas

Comment

• "Fall off the map", Seth Davis?

You must be joking.
                "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                -John Wooden

Comment

• From the outsiders view, we have a lot of unknowns outside of Ron, Fred and possibly Grady. Our young guys have a chance to turn some heads this year and show the world that we're here to stay.

Comment

• I feel next year will be a very big year for WSU. If 3G is able to put together a good team that has a good year, I feel that will go a very long way to validating the program in eyes of the skeptics. If we do it without FVV and Baker it will quiet much of the doubt. I feel we would step into the level of respect Gonzaga recieves. We would start hearing less and less chatter about when we will fall of the map.

Comment

• Originally posted by WstateU View Post
                      I saw that too and thought the same thing. Perhaps it's as tgcshock says and Davis is basing his Texas comment on Mike Kennedy's perspective. Regardless, I'm sure that when Marshall does choose to leave, for whatever reason, WSU basketball will remain relevant. But let's not rush to judgment that someone else can come in and keep us at the level 3G has attained (not trying to call you out ShockerPrez, just saying). I think it's a perfect storm right now between Coach, AD and administration. Marshall has earned the trust and respect of the community and the administration and that has a lot to do with the team's continued success.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                        From the outsiders view, we have a lot of unknowns outside of Ron, Fred and possibly Grady. Our young guys have a chance to turn some heads this year and show the world that we're here to stay.
                        And that's the beauty of Marshall's system. He continually finds young men who defy logic and keeps the program relevant. Of course, I have to agree that Fred and Ron are especially special players whose loss is definitely going to be felt next year.

Comment

• Originally posted by tgcshock View Post
                          I don't suppose anyone knows that it is a fact (and Lynn would undoubtedly still have had plenty to say about it) but Mike Kennedy has said publicly on several occasions that Texas was the job he thought Marshall would be most likely to take if he ever left.
                          Thanks!

Key words = "most likely"
                          "You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• The article is logically sound and Texas is/was a program to fear with regards to grabbing HCGM's attention.
                            “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I don't think Duke could have pulled HC3GM away from FVV and Baker. Not to say I didn't have a little case of pucker factor. This Spring will be much more scary.
                              Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Aside from my love of all things Shocker athletics, the main reason I would hate to see 3G take a P5 job is because of how much I love his style. I love the players he is able to bring in, how he gets them to work hard and use the fundamentals, stay in school and become tremendous 4 year athletes. Top P5 programs chase the one and done athlete (or the 2 year player), and I just don't like that system. I don't think many coaches (Bill Self included) like chasing the one and dones, but much of the fan base and administrations expect the best players available to sign with them. It's an ego issue. I'd much rather see a Cotton, VanVleet, Baker, Brown, Morris, etc. grow and be a nightmare for the MVC and NCAA for multiple years. I would be concerned if 3G ever did leave for a top P5 job, the administration & fan base would expect him to change, and I think that would be a terrible thing.

Comment

Working...
                                X