No announcement yet.

2015-16 Media love thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• KAKE Shane Ewing ‏@ShaneEwing 47m47 minutes ago Gregg Marshall told ESPN today that @WizKellyy is the most improved player on roster. Said offensive game has evolved, body is cut #Shockers

ESPNRadio ‏@ESPNRadio 6h6 hours ago #ESPNUCBB @ESPNAndyKatz & @SethOnHoops: SMU/UNC sanctions, @PCAthletics' Kris Dunn and @GoShockers HC Gregg Marshall! http://es.pn/1N1lA1P
    Last edited by im4wsu; September 30, 2015, 04:59 PM.
    "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
    ---------------------------------------
    Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
    "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
    "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
      KAKE Shane Ewing ‏@ShaneEwing 47m47 minutes ago Gregg Marshall told ESPN today that @WizKellyy is the most improved player on roster. Said offensive game has evolved, body is cut #Shockers

http://espn.go.com/espnradio/play?id=13777929
      That's really exciting news!

Comment

• This team is so damn deep! The new talent is uber-talented and the returners, to a man, have done everything asked of them in the off-season. Some All-Valley level talent isn't going to see much court time this year.
        Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by im4wsu View Post
          KAKE Shane Ewing ‏@ShaneEwing 47m47 minutes ago Gregg Marshall told ESPN today that @WizKellyy is the most improved player on roster. Said offensive game has evolved, body is cut #Shockers

ESPNRadio ‏@ESPNRadio 6h6 hours ago #ESPNUCBB @ESPNAndyKatz & @SethOnHoops: SMU/UNC sanctions, @PCAthletics' Kris Dunn and @GoShockers HC Gregg Marshall! http://es.pn/1N1lA1P
          http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=13777929

Fantastic interview! It starts at about the 25 minute mark and is 15 minutes long.

A couple of highlights I found interesting:

Markis McDuffie will be a prime time player when he can adjust to the physicality of basketball in D-I. HCGM stated carefully that his game is very similar to Kevin Durant. MM is at least 6-8.

Landry Shamet is the player HCGM likes to mention when doing preseason interviews. He's 6-5, has a 67" box jump, "can play the two, three, or even the one."

Stated that 2, 3, or maybe even all 4 freshman are going to see significant minutes this year.

Conner is the best shooter Marshall has been around in his 31 years as a coach. He has really tight handles. Needs to work on the rest of his game.

Anton plays an old mans game (mentioned as a compliment).

The Shockers are going to be really hard to guard when Conner, Fred, and Ron are on the court with Anton or Rashard at the 4.

Fred and Ron will do the majority of the ball handling with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock.

4 or 5 teams have a chance to push the Shockers this year (UE is his favorite, followed by ISUr, UNI, and LUC in no particular order).
          Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by wufan View Post
            http://m.espn.go.com/general/play?id=13777929

Fantastic interview! It starts at about the 25 minute mark and is 15 minutes long.

A couple of highlights I found interesting:

Markis McDuffie will be a prime time player when he can adjust to the physicality of basketball in D-I. HCGM stated carefully that his game is very similar to Kevin Durant. MM is at least 6-8.

Landry Shamet is the player HCGM likes to mention when doing preseason interviews. He's 6-5, has a 67" box jump, "can play the two, three, or even the one."

Stated that 2, 3, or maybe even all 4 freshman are going to see significant minutes this year.

Conner is the best shooter Marshall has been around in his 31 years as a coach. He has really tight handles. Needs to work on the rest of his game.

Anton plays an old mans game (mentioned as a compliment).

The Shockers are going to be really hard to guard when Conner, Fred, and Ron are on the court with Anton or Rashard at the 4.

Fred and Ron will do the majority of the ball handling with less than 10 seconds on the shot clock.

4 or 5 teams have a chance to push the Shockers this year (UE is his favorite, followed by ISUr, UNI, and LUC in no particular order).
            great recap, I was too lazy to do it.
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• The page you're looking for may have been changed, moved or mysteriously gone missing

Thirty toughest home courts..
              Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Good stuff! We are starting to get a hint of what the rotation might look like.

PG- FVV
                SG-RB
                SF-EW or ZB
                PF-AG
                C-SM or BW

G-CF and LS
                F-RK

That's 10. The other four, IMO, are well liked by the staff and with huge upside, but have work to do, and/or require a fortuitous opportunity to make the regular rotation.
                Livin the dream

Comment

• This team is so deep that in several positions (3-5), it's entirely possible that the starter, whomever it may be, could average less mpg than the backup.
                  "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• The way I see it, all of our bigs who show they are capable of handling DI basketball will find their way onto the court. We know Shaq had foul issues last year, and maybe that was due to his injury. But, we have had bigs with foul issues for multiple years in a row. We play an aggressive style of defense. It happens. I really hope Shaq, Grady, Bush, Kelly, Hamilton, Nurger, McDuffie, can go out and just play hard and not be worried or concerned with getting into foul trouble because they know there are guys sitting on the bench who are more than capable of filling in. It seemed Carter and Morris last year played timid at times looking to avoid fouls because we had to have them on the court, and in turn, fouled more.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
                      But, we have had bigs with foul issues for multiple years in a row.
                      The refs might as well give up on calling the phantom calls this year on our bigs. Easy substitution for Gregg Marshall. Plug another big in there and if more calls come...plug in another big. And another. And another.

Eventually the phantom calls will go away. Refs will just start feeling silly about it and contend to for-gedda-bout-it. Especially in Valley play on the road. With our frontcourt depth...should the refs wanna help other Valley teams with phantom calls to try to even the playing field per Doug Elgin's request....get ready for 4 hour basketball games. It would be a good try...but the gratuity charity stripe will not be enough to "even" the playing field this season.
                      FINAL FOURS:
                      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                      Number of Times Ranked: 157
                      Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                      Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                      Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                      #3 - Dec. 2017
                      #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                      #2 ~ March 2014
                      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
                        The refs might as well give up on calling the phantom calls this year on our bigs. Easy substitution for Gregg Marshall. Plug another big in there and if more calls come...plug in another big. And another. And another.

Eventually the phantom calls will go away. Refs will just start feeling silly about it and contend to for-gedda-bout-it. Especially in Valley play on the road. With our frontcourt depth...should the refs wanna help other Valley teams with phantom calls to try to even the playing field per Doug Elgin's request....get ready for 4 hour basketball games. It would be a good try...but the gratuity charity stripe will not be enough to "even" the playing field this season.
                        I've never understood why Elgin would want an "even" playing field. First, he should want the cream to rise to the top and not get bit by the ankle biters in the conference to ensure maximum bids. And beyond that he should be cheering for WSU to go undefeated in order to get another great seed and improve chances for a deep run (more tourney shares for the conference).
                        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
                          I've never understood why Elgin would want an "even" playing field. First, he should want the cream to rise to the top and not get bit by the ankle biters in the conference to ensure maximum bids. And beyond that he should be cheering for WSU to go undefeated in order to get another great seed and improve chances for a deep run (more tourney shares for the conference).
                          i can understand why he would want a level playing field. he's no more of a wichita state fan than anybody else from outside of wichita (although the shox are VERY popular on the east coast.. said bob hurley and the city of philly, too). i don't think he cheers for wichita state domination.

Comment

• Hyperbole post. Ok...I've now watched the Shockers play pick up games three times this year. In 2013 I predicted (not on this site, but to several friends) that our Shocks "should" reach the final four. I have a prediction.........Coach Marshall & our Shockers: "I think you are going to start dominating the power five conferences for the next several years". It might even get to the point that the rules will have to change to keep the P5 conferences up to speed with our Shockers.

Comment

• We may see some SERIOUS blowouts this year! Against several Valley teams, our second team will be better than their first team and our third team will keep it even or extend the lead (assuming Nurger, Hamilton, McDuffie, and Taylor plus one) against their second teams.
                              Livin the dream

Comment

Working...
                              X