The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
    Different than who? How about we look at Gonzaga, Butler, and VCU over the past 15 years? They've been very strong mid-majors with occasional NBA talent. Those 3 teams have combined for 24 appearances as a single digit seed over the past 15 years. They have 3 Final Fours, 0 National Championships.

Finals Fours are really hard. Fred and Ron said they were sure they would get back to another one after their Freshman year. They didn't even reach another Elite 8.

If you told me Marshall had one more Final Four team upcoming, I'd be really happy. If you told me Marshall had one National Championship team upcoming, I'd be ecstatic.
    I'd agree with this and add "but not at all surprised" to the end.

Comment

• Hypothetical, next year we win a national championship then the program crumbles and we don't make an NCAA tournament for 10 years after that. Alternative is we are guaranteed 10 straight NCAA tournament appearances and roll the dice on wins/losses. I think I along with most people would take the national championship over 10 years but how many years of NCAA tournament appearances would it take to change your mind? 20 straight? 50 straight?

Comment

• Originally posted by WUpigsooie View Post
        I'd agree with this and add "but not at all surprised" to the end.
        Thank you. That's all I implying as well.

Comment

Different than who? How about we look at Gonzaga, Butler, and VCU over the past 15 years? They've been very strong mid-majors with occasional NBA talent. Those 3 teams have combined for 24 appearances as a single digit seed over the past 15 years. They have 3 Final Fours, 0 National Championships.

Finals Fours are really hard. Fred and Ron said they were sure they would get back to another one after their Freshman year. They didn't even reach another Elite 8.

If you told me Marshall had one more Final Four team upcoming, I'd be really happy. If you told me Marshall had one National Championship team upcoming, I'd be ecstatic.
          How about you & not "we"? Apparently you didn't grasp my point. You went a whole different direction.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
            Hypothetical, next year we win a national championship then the program crumbles and we don't make an NCAA tournament for 10 years after that. Alternative is we are guaranteed 10 straight NCAA tournament appearances and roll the dice on wins/losses. I think I along with most people would take the national championship over 10 years but how many years of NCAA tournament appearances would it take to change your mind? 20 straight? 50 straight?
            That is a tough question. And I hate it. And I refuse to answer it. I'm weak like that.
            "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Ron and Fred were great, but it was Armstead, Hall and Early that really lead us to the final four.

Comment

• Originally posted by Dan View Post
                Ron and Fred were great, but it was Armstead, Hall and Early that really lead us to the final four.
                Very good point.
                FINAL FOURS:
                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                #3 - Dec. 2017
                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                #2 ~ March 2014
                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Ron and Fred were great, but it was Armstead, Hall and Early that really lead us to the final four.
                  That gets lost for most. Orupke fit the bill as an above average defensive 7 footer but don't pass the ball to him Ron!

Comment

My way early opinion of Shamet was that he was already a better ball-handler than Ron was. He looked to be just as good as a shooter also.

The question now is does he have Ron's motor? If he does, the sky is the limit.

Comment

• Shamet is very smooth and obviously athletic. Seems to have a well rounded game where he can be a threat shooting as well as scoring off the dribble. Marshall was very chipper while sharing that he might be our next all-american shortly after practice started. Very high praise for the newcomer.

Comment

• Going off the title of this thread, I hope one day soon this need to listen to every offer will subside with coach Marshall. He knows this is a great job and he is no longer paid like a top fifty coach. The only fun I have is watching these talking heads nationally and locally(KWCH 12) when they report another job is better, only to eat crow when it isn't.

Comment

• Only regret was not having Landry play with Ron and Fred

Comment

I spend a lot of my money and time rooting for that to happen. That said, I'd put it at 50/50 whether he reaches another Final 4 at WSU. Look how good the last 5 teams were. They advanced past the Sweet 16 just once. That' not a knock on Marshall at all. That's a sign of how hard it is to make a deep run. For every team in the Final 4 in a given year, there are a handful of really good teams that didn't make it that far.

Odds he wins it all at WSU sometime during his career? 3:1? 5:1? Whatever they are, they are a heck of a lot better than any of us probably even dreamed of up until a few years ago.
                            It takes skill AND LUCK to win a NC, especially given a one and out format; I often feel the best team (for the year) doesn't win the NC. However, we have developed the skills necessary to hope for a little luck, as opposed to a little skill and hoping for a LOT of luck. If/when HCGM evaluates leaving for somewhere else, he probably considers that just coaching for a "blue blood" team doesn't guarantee a NC, and MAYBE doesn't even increase the odds, depending on what it takes to get and develop the skill here at WSU.

Comment

• BTW, making a FF takes a little LESS luck; I think we can develop the future talent that skill won't be questioned, but just the luck factor. Therefore, I put the odds at better than 50/50 for a FF. For a NC? Well, who can predict luck?

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                                It takes skill AND LUCK to win a NC, especially given a one and out format; I often feel the best team (for the year) doesn't win the NC. However, we have developed the skills necessary to hope for a little luck, as opposed to a little skill and hoping for a LOT of luck. If/when HCGM evaluates leaving for somewhere else, he probably considers that just coaching for a "blue blood" team doesn't guarantee a NC, and MAYBE doesn't even increase the odds, depending on what it takes to get and develop the skill here at WSU.
                                one and out format. one day (or season), marshall is going to run through the ncaa tournament like he ran through the nit tournament. i'm almost 110% sure that in 2010 jh4p would have put the shockers chances of ever winning an nit title at 0.001%

Comment

Working...
                                X