No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It just dawned on me (I am a little slow on the uptake) that WE are the crazy bastards every year with this. I henceforth refuse to get uptight about this until there is a confirmed, concrete reason to do so.

Comment

• Originally posted by ArtVandalay View Post
      For those conspiracy theorists out there, both the Tads and Sports Time Fan Shop autograph sessions were announced to feature the seniors only, no coach Marshall.
      Heard Marshall is going to The Masters this week/weekend.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
        It just dawned on me (I am a little slow on the uptake) that WE are the crazy bastards every year with this. I henceforth refuse to get uptight about this until there is a confirmed, concrete reason to do so.
        Well, I don't know about "we," but those SNers who worry are. Kudos on the insight, eric -- better late than never.

Comment

• Originally posted by SHOCKvalue View Post

Or if not, wherever the hell he wants to go.

Comment

• Here's what is so silly about this speculation, particularly Vanderbilt, Marshall is not even remotely a candidate there, nor was he ever. And there are two reasons - finances and football.

Think about it this way, Gregg's number we know is somewhere north of $4 million to leave WSU. We know that because that is what Alabama offered last year and he turned it down. But go deeper, the reason Alabama was able to offer that much money, is because their football coach is paid more than $7 million.

At almost every P5 school, the football program is the priority and therefore the football coach is paid the most. There are some "basketball" schools where this is reversed, like Duke and Kansas. So the only schools that Marshall could go to where the school could pay him enough money AND it wouldn't be a problem with football is a short list. Vanderbilt is not on that list. For Vandy to hire Marshall, they would not only have to pay Gregg more than $4 million, they would also have to give their football coach, who is on the hot seat anyway, a healthy raise from $2.25 million ... basically doubling his salary. Outside of Kentucky, SEC schools cannot pay their basketball coach more than their football coach. Anything else sends a signal that they are not committed to football. It's just that simple.

Below is the list of schools that would fit the criteria of either 1. Highly paid football coach or 2. School with tradition that allows them to pay basketball coach more.

1. Alabama - already said no
            2. Michigan - coach not going anywhere
            3. Ohio State - coach not going anywhere
            4. Oklahoma - coach not going anywhere (yet)
            5. Texas - already decided he won't work for those dickheads
            6. Florida St - not a traditional conference power
            7. Penn St - ha! would be a good middle-of-the-pack valley team
            8. LSU - this is one to think about, their coach is on the hot seat maybe after the Simmons debacle
            9. Ole Miss - welcome to Cheaterville... no thanks Bubba.
            10. A & M - can't see him going the Turgeon route. Especially to a place where the male cheerleaders like to grab their own nuts
            11. Baylor - No. Waco is more remote than Wichita and aside from recent history, Baylor has been a league doormat
            12. Duke - sure, who wouldn't?
            13. Kentucky - ditto, even better situation
            14. Arizona - Miller not leaving. It's hot in Tuscon and we know how much he loves to sweat it out
            15. Kansas - KU hiring the WSU coach? Better chance of Hillary backing Trump for President
            16. Indiana - always a possibility
            17. Mich St - Izzo not leaving anytime soon
            18. Syracuse - surprisingly, Boeheim is only paid about $2.5 million
            19. Connecticut - apparently Geno is okay with the men's coach making more money. Not sure about more than double
            20. Louisville - if they were going to fire Pitino they would have already done it
            21. North Carolina - just like Ky and Duke

Comment

• Originally posted by Art Bunch View Post
              Here's what is so silly about this speculation, particularly Vanderbilt, Marshall is not even remotely a candidate there, nor was he ever. And there are two reasons - finances and football.

Think about it this way, Gregg's number we know is somewhere north of $4 million to leave WSU. We know that because that is what Alabama offered last year and he turned it down. But go deeper, the reason Alabama was able to offer that much money, is because their football coach is paid more than $7 million.

At almost every P5 school, the football program is the priority and therefore the football coach is paid the most. There are some "basketball" schools where this is reversed, like Duke and Kansas. So the only schools that Marshall could go to where the school could pay him enough money AND it wouldn't be a problem with football is a short list. Vanderbilt is not on that list. For Vandy to hire Marshall, they would not only have to pay Gregg more than $4 million, they would also have to give their football coach, who is on the hot seat anyway, a healthy raise from $2.25 million ... basically doubling his salary. Outside of Kentucky, SEC schools cannot pay their basketball coach more than their football coach. Anything else sends a signal that they are not committed to football. It's just that simple.

Below is the list of schools that would fit the criteria of either 1. Highly paid football coach or 2. School with tradition that allows them to pay basketball coach more.

1. Alabama - already said no
              2. Michigan - coach not going anywhere
              3. Ohio State - coach not going anywhere
              4. Oklahoma - coach not going anywhere (yet)
              5. Texas - already decided he won't work for those dickheads
              6. Florida St - not a traditional conference power
              7. Penn St - ha! would be a good middle-of-the-pack valley team
              8. LSU - this is one to think about, their coach is on the hot seat maybe after the Simmons debacle
              9. Ole Miss - welcome to Cheaterville... no thanks Bubba.
              10. A & M - can't see him going the Turgeon route. Especially to a place where the male cheerleaders like to grab their own nuts
              11. Baylor - No. Waco is more remote than Wichita and aside from recent history, Baylor has been a league doormat
              12. Duke - sure, who wouldn't?
              13. Kentucky - ditto, even better situation
              14. Arizona - Miller not leaving. It's hot in Tuscon and we know how much he loves to sweat it out
              15. Kansas - KU hiring the WSU coach? Better chance of Hillary backing Trump for President
              16. Indiana - always a possibility
              17. Mich St - Izzo not leaving anytime soon
              18. Syracuse - surprisingly, Boeheim is only paid about $2.5 million
              19. Connecticut - apparently Geno is okay with the men's coach making more money. Not sure about more than double
              20. Louisville - if they were going to fire Pitino they would have already done it
              21. North Carolina - just like Ky and Duke
              First let me say that I know little about the actual facts of this, but I have a feeling Vandy made a major play for GM, he thought about it over the weekend and the tweet last night was the public acknowledgement of the turn down. I suspect fraternizing with the social elite of Nashville was a major attraction for some in the Marshall family, but the actual job as stated by Art wasn't so appealing. Vandy is now quickly moving on the back up plan and expect to have the deal done within 48 hours.

Comment

I know this is an annual (or at least pretty regular) occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by SPEShockAlum View Post
                  I know this is an annual (or at least pretty regular) occurrence.
                  I wanna go!
                  Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

• Originally posted by wusphlash View Post
                    I wanna go!
                    Me too! Gotta spare $5K to share for what amounts to an extended weekend get-away?

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
                      It's really too bad Vandy fans have had to act like total douche nozzles throughout this coaching search. They were my favorite SEC school and I absolutely love Bryce Drew so they would have been an easy school to root for and I always have rooted for them in the past. Maybe Bryce Drew will turn them down and they'll hire Muller so I can have even more reason to root against them.
                      Example #23453 why judging fan bases based off message boards is DUMB. I went to the WSU vs Vandy NIT game in 2005. After they stormed the court, numerous, and I mean dozens, of Vandy fans, both season ticket holders and students, stopped briefly by our section of WSU fans to wish us safe travels, show appreciation for our team's fight, and just generally act like nice, civilized human beings. It made a lasting impression on me, and I've always had a 2nd tier rooting interest for Vandy ever since.

Enough with the generalizations based on 3 people you've never even met in person. Some of you come across like...

Comment

• You reference Oprah a lot. I'm not sure what that means exactly.
                        Deuces Valley.
                        ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Gary Parrish ‏@Gary:ParrishCBS · 2h2 hours ago

FWIW … Bryce Drew is essentially picking Vanderbilt over Georgia Tech. He could’ve had either, I’m told.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                            Example #23453 why judging fan bases based off message boards is DUMB. I went to the WSU vs Vandy NIT game in 2005. After they stormed the court, numerous, and I mean dozens, of Vandy fans, both season ticket holders and students, stopped briefly by our section of WSU fans to wish us safe travels, show appreciation for our team's fight, and just generally act like nice, civilized human beings. It made a lasting impression on me, and I've always had a 2nd tier rooting interest for Vandy ever since.

Enough with the generalizations based on 3 people you've never even met in person. Some of you come across like...

If I were you I would go find 4 Vandy fans being idiots and quote those for you.

Maybe it's confirmation bias but I've found ISUr and Creighton fans are pretty representative of their online personas.

Comment

• Originally posted by Topshock View Post
                              First let me say that I know little about the actual facts of this, but I have a feeling Vandy made a major play for GM, he thought about it over the weekend and the tweet last night was the public acknowledgement of the turn down. I suspect fraternizing with the social elite of Nashville was a major attraction for some in the Marshall family, but the actual job as stated by Art wasn't so appealing. Vandy is now quickly moving on the back up plan and expect to have the deal done within 48 hours.
                              Yes, as a Vandy fan who pays for premium "insider" info on more than one site, this is closer to the truth. Marshall was likely the only target for the job until his "nothing to see here" tweet last night after making a decision to stay. No idea of any of the particulars of offers or anything Vandy is notoriously private on these types of things, but he definitely was the #1 candidate. I know that you guys go through this every year, so I don't think many people thought he would leave until the deal kept drawing out. You may agree that it's not the biggest coincidence in the world that Marshall's denies any contact with Vandy, and Vandy magically hires a coach the next day. Good job retaining, and good luck in the future.

Also for the record, the Vandy admin would have had no problem paying a seasoned, proven basketball coach more than our 2 year football HC in his first gig.
                              Last edited by VandyFan; April 4, 2016, 01:24 PM.

Comment

• Not every Gregg Marshall rumor needs to be refuted.

Comment

Working...
                                X