No announcement yet.

The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What I could find in 2014 Stallings made - $1.922 million I wouldn't think he has gotten that big of a raise.

Gregg Marshall's salary this year will be around $3.5 million.

While I do agree that given the SEC Network vs the pay to show us MVC money that Vandy COULD outspend WSU. However, it would take Vandy to at least double the amount they are currently spending on a head coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
      While I do agree that given the SEC Network vs the pay to show us MVC money that Vandy COULD outspend WSU. However, it would take Vandy to at least double the amount they are currently spending on a head coach.
      And then he'd actually have to say yes somewhere between all the fits of laughter.

Comment

• As of 2013, Stalling's salary was $1.93 mil.
        As of 2015, their football coach's salary was $2.25 mil.

Besides the fact it would require them doubling - at a minimum - Stallings' salary to attract Marshall, one thing is not going to happen at an SEC school not named Kentucky: Pay their basketball coach more than the football coach.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdmee View Post
          And that's the reason the SEC seems to want to upgrade their basketball coaches. ESPN has overpaid for a lot of telecasting contracts lately, and with the decline in viewership, I think they're stuck with another white elephant here. If the SEC can't upgrade their basketball (which they are having problems doing as only two schools made the basketball tourney with one school advancing to the S16). Note that ESPN has laid off staff based on reduced advertising/carriage revenues.

And on top of all that, it's kind of hard to attract viewers with women's vb and basketball. I know there are a lot of people who like those sports, but I'm thinking they are not anywhere near the draws of men's football and basketball. In fact, I would almost bet that ESPN is losing money when they broadcast those 'other sports' (outside of maybemen's basketball, football and baseball) based on allocating fixed costs, but I might be wrong.
          Last edited by shocka khan; March 29, 2016, 02:30 PM.

Comment

• I disagree that Vandy makes an offer just to see what GM will say. If I'm looking for a new bball coach, I do my homework and try to pinpoint the guy that I can reel in. You don't want to be the school that has 3 or 4 declines before you "settle" on a coach. Word gets out when you start making offers and it can tarnish your reputation if you're swinging and missing. Doens't look good.

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
              Vandy's AD had a great quote from his press conference today though. When asked if he kept a list of coaches as replacements while still having Stallings as the coach, he said to the effect "That's like asking me if I have a list of potential wives if my wife dies."
              If he really said this, he better be kidding. No good AD doesn't have a list in his main desk drawer; you never know what's gonna happen. Jim S. talked to Marshall while Turgeon was still here, as case in point.

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                The SEC is just mesmerized by Marshall.. I'm sure by now, 3G gets it. Lol. I thought it was strange that Alabama of all schools would offer him a billion dollars basically. But now it's all starting to add up. Everyone affiliated with the SEC knows who Gregg Marshall is.
                I'm thinking part of their infatuation is the fact that he's "from" the south and, like all southerners, is just DYING to go back, even at a reduced salary at a worse basketball school.

Comment

• Im not as nervous this year about coach leaving as I have in the past. Sure I want him to stay, but if he holds out like he did last year to try and get more money out of the Kochs, I say let him walk. We can't keep doing this every year, he's already paid as a top 10 coach, if he leaves it likely won't be because of money imo.

Comment

• Originally posted by Metalkatz View Post
                    Im not as nervous this year about coach leaving as I have in the past. Sure I want him to stay, but if he holds out like he did last year to try and get more money out of the Kochs, I say let him walk. We can't keep doing this every year, he's already paid as a top 10 coach, if he leaves it likely won't be because of money imo.
                    I agree that if he leaves it won't be because of money. I'm more concerned because he can't stand to be in Elgin's Valley of Even Bottom Dwellers any longer. I'd have to agree with something I've read on some other thread that HC3G will be out of the Valley in the next few years. I just hope it's because WSU has moved out of the Valley. I don't agree with the let him walk attitude though. If it's about money, then that may be the right answer, but most of us believe that will not be the case. Anything else we can do to keep he and his family happy in Wichita, we should do. When you have a top 5 coach in the country (top 1 in my opinion), you don't just "let him walk" if you can help it.
                    "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

• Talking to a few vandy fans on twitter. They actually are convinced that Marshall is the choice because they have better recruits, history and facilities LMAO
                      Follow me on twitter: https://twitter.com/Shox_KCfan

Comment

• Originally posted by newshock1234 View Post
                        Talking to a few vandy fans on twitter. They actually are convinced that Marshall is the choice because they have better recruits, history and facilities LMAO
                        Lots of fun quotes on their board that show complete lack of knowledge.

He's facing a bit of a rebuilding project at Wichita State next year. Unless he's truly committed to being a lifer (and I certainly wouldn't begrudge him that), now is a good time to at least sniff around.
                        Rebuild huh.. Cupboard is bare ....

Don't know if you don't ask and we can outbid Wichita for sure. I also buy into the notion that Wichita lost some really special seniors this year and will have to be rebuilt to some degree.
                        Can outbid Wichita ... not likely, they can hope that particular donors don't want to pony up, but can't outbid.

the only thing we have to offer that he doesn't have is a world-class university - the same thing he can offer his recruits to Vanderbilt. There are probably a lot of things in play, but this to me would be the carrot.
                        World-class ... hmmm ...

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                          Lots of fun quotes on their board that show complete lack of knowledge.

Rebuild huh.. Cupboard is bare ....

Can outbid Wichita ... not likely, they can hope that particular donors don't want to pony up, but can't outbid.

World-class ... hmmm ...
                          What I don't understand about this delusion is why, if things are SOOO great at Vandy, did Stallings leave?

Comment

• Originally posted by OregonShocker View Post
                            What I don't understand about this delusion is why, if things are SOOO great at Vandy, did Stallings leave?
                            He didn't just leave, he went lateral. Pitt isn't any better than Vandy at this point in my opinion.

Plus he was making less than $2 mil a season at Vandy. I highly doubt they go up past $3.5 mil for Marshall when their football coach is only making an estimated $2.25 million.

Comment

• Yeah, I'm having fun with the Gregg to Vandy narrative on Twitter.
                              ShockerHoops.net - A Wichita State Basketball Blog

Comment

• Originally posted by _kai_ View Post
                                Yeah, I'm having fun with the Gregg to Vandy narrative on Twitter.
                                lmao @ Jenn Bates making fun of Vandy people when she was expecting Gregg to Mizzou. Is she lobbying for a move back to sports? Dani to KC, Kunkel to cover KU, Bates to cover WSU?

Comment

Working...
                                X