Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shoxrox89 View Post
    http://www.scout.com/college/vanderb...st-so-you-know

Wow the nerve of these backwoods hillbilly's.
    These outsiders no doubt truly believe that the only thing Coach Marshall sees in the Koch Brothers is a thick wallet and has no personal relationship with them. First of all I have no idea if David Koch has the slightest bit of interest in WSU athletics. Maybe he does, maybe he doesn't, I don't know. It might be of interest for some of these folks that a couple of year's ago before they even considered putting Grgg's current contract toghether someone asked Gregg in an interview who was the person he most admired. Surprisingly, it wasn't his father. It wasn't his coaching mentors John Kresse or Hal Nunnally. The man Gregg Marshall most admired and respected was Charles Koch.

Furthermore, in discussing his recent book, Good Profit, Charles Koch talked about hiring people based on their character and integrity more than their smarts or their pedigree. He commented that that has worked very well for Koch Industries and he pointed out that Gregg Marshall does the same thing in running the WSU basketball program and has been very successful.

Yes, not only is there a personal relationship between Charles Koch and Greg Marshall I believe there is a very strong mutual admiration society.

Perhaps the school we should be worrying about stealing 3G from us is George Mason. I believe Charles Koch has given George Mason a lot of dough and he is quite fond of Walter Williams. Perhaps WSU should be pro-active and see if we can hire Walter Williams away from George Mason just to stay in Charles' good graces.
    Last edited by 1972Shocker; March 31, 2016, 06:42 PM.

Comment

I don't think anyone here was suggesting Vandy is a poor school, so I'm not sure why they got so worked up about that. I did think it was funny that someone misused the word "macrocosm" in one of the posts meant to suggest how much smarter they are than wsu grads.

Comment

• People thought Fred's dance wasn't very classy but now I wish he would've ran around the court letting his nuts hang, threw a couple birds and finished it off with a Kyle Weems throat slash.

Comment

That entire thread smacks of the type of elitism we so often hear from up north and probably even more so. I'd be disinclined to hire someone who gives off that vibe.

Comment

• But then, we are just "typical Midwesterners."

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker Mama View Post
              But then, we are just "typical Midwesterners."
              Guilty as charged and based on my experience with typical Midwesterners that is a high compliment.

Comment

• Originally posted by Eric View Post
                That entire thread smacks of the type of elitism we so often hear from up north and probably even more so. I'd be disinclined to hire someone who gives off that vibe.
                Considering all's they have is a big endowment and SEC membership, they seem to have pretty big ego's.. Someone who brings those 2 arguments to a conversation generally gets ignored because: Despite their big endowment, they don't go out and get whatever coach they want in any sport historically.
                And that SEC affiliation.. It's a cool story in football for the conference, but they've never been regarded as a football power. It's a pointless conversation anyway you slice it. Marshall isn't going to vandy.

Comment

• They brag about tournament appearances yet fail to brag about tournament success... I wonder why?

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                    They brag about tournament appearances yet fail to brag about tournament success... I wonder why?
                    Vandy= Futility

Comment

• I heared the marshall feller do not like pepsi, but koch instead. maybe them brianiac vanderbillies can lurn us midWesturn simpletons by buying coach ggreg for 5 million which is 80% of 40% of half there 33 million? man I hope they didn't spend all that sec money on high class hookers with them fishnet stockins allready! what im trying to say is marshall aint leaving to be a dammed toilet!!!! A TOILET!!! wood YOU want to be a Vanderbilt Commode? dummest mascot ever. shoot.
                      Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Originally posted by bleed yellow View Post
                        Vandy= Futility
                        I mean.. Winning your conference exactly one time since 1975 is pretty impressive

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                          34 wins is a lot, but it earned a 1 seed.
                          28 wins earned a 7 seed despite only 1 at-large quality team on the non-con schedule.
                          27 wins earned a 5 seed by having 4 at-large quality teams on the non-con schedule.
                          26 wins earned a 9 seed despite only 1 at-large quality team on the non-con schedule.
                          24 wins earned an 11 seed despite a total flop in the non-con and the weakest MVC in over a decade.

Nov/Dec tourneys make it much easier these days to get a couple of quality opponents in the non-con. There is no reason WSU shouldn't be able to keep the non-con fairly respectable year-in-year-out.

The formula is easy
                          1) Play a few decent non-con games.
                          2) Beat the garbage teams you inevitably have to face (non-con and MVC alike)
                          3) Split (or better) in the dozen or so top 100 games you get to play.
                          4) Go dancing every year.

Really good years you win more than 50% of your toughest dozen games and you get a nice high single digit seed.
                          Average years you split the toughest dozen games and possibly go to the 8vs9 game round 1.
                          Down years, or years riddled with injuries, even just winning 1/3rd of your toughest games will likely get you on the bubble. In 2016, it was enough to get the Shox in.
                          Exactly.

Comment

• Originally posted by Stickboy46 View Post
                            They brag about tournament appearances yet fail to brag about tournament success... I wonder why?
                            Typical power five elitism! Like other than the handfull of really good power 5 basketball schools everyone else is living a RPI lie.

Comment

yeah, they had a good two year run back in the 60's -- how in the world that is "relevant" would be beyond me (and, boy, were we awful in '64-65 or what?) -- lord knows how many more NCAA appearances we'd have had in the 60's and 70's if they'd allowed anybody else in besides the conference champion

I love this. The same could be said of the Shoxs. How many times were we a top 5 team in the country and didn't make it because of the same thing.

Comment

• Originally posted by shelback View Post
                                Typical power five elitism! Like other than the handfull of really good power 5 basketball schools everyone else is living a RPI lie.
                                Here-here!!!
                                FINAL FOURS:
                                1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
                                1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
                                Number of Times Ranked: 157
                                Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
                                Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
                                Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
                                #3 - Dec. 2017
                                #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
                                #2 ~ March 2014
                                Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

Working...
                                X