The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
    Vandy should hire Muller...seriously....please???
    Or B. Hinson. Coach of the Year, ya know. Would be a catch.

Comment

• Originally posted by AndShock View Post
      Is Vandy actually considered a decent job or is it just their fans being obnoxious? If they had the same records last season I would probably consider Georgia Tech a better job, Vandy probably only gets the edge since it's not a rebuilding job like GT is.
      I have never in my 31 years of existence ever... EVER thought of Vanderbilt as a basketball school or even close to a powerhouse. They have "big donors" "sec money" and a "big endowment" ... I guess when someone reminded them that Charles Koch has more money than everything they have combined they brushed it off.

What a bunch of turds. If Marshall leaves, it sure shouldn't be for a cut rate SEC bottom feeder that he just wiped the floor with.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockerfan View Post
        Vandy should hire Muller...seriously....please???
        Yeah, they've done that before too.
        "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• All right, since my piece at Anchor of Gold got referenced here, I thought I'd clarify a few things.

There are delusional members of the Vanderbilt fan base because there are delusional members of every fan base. I do not think it is all that likely that Marshall will be Vanderbilt's next basketball coach. It is entirely possible that Marshall is just a smokescreen who is not being pursued by Vanderbilt at all. My immediate instinct when I saw the FlightAware stuff was that the Vanderbilt donor jet was probably coincidentally going to Wichita for maintenance, but as a blogger I felt it was probably better to address the rumors because they seemed to be blowing up in the Vanderbilt fan base.

The reference to VanVleet/Baker leaving was mostly to point out why Marshall might have turned down Alabama last year but would be open to leaving this year. But hey, you guys know your own program better than I do. I'll be the first to admit that.

As to some of the stuff posted in here, though -- Will Wade was never offered a contract by Vanderbilt and quite likely signed an extension with VCU because he was farther down Vanderbilt's candidate list than he thought he might be, and Jeff Capel was a name that from best anyone can tell was floated by his own agent because nobody connected to the search has even mentioned him as a candidate for the job. Vanderbilt is notoriously tight-lipped about athletic department internal matters and so there's a lot of bull being fed into the media by people who are either interested parties or have no idea what they're talking about, and that information probably isn't going to be countered by anyone connected with the program.

TL;DR: Marshall is a great coach who is probably not coming to Vanderbilt, but Vanderbilt is making the obligatory play for him (we think) because power conference AD's at least have to look like they're trying.

Comment

• Very fair. And the "FVV RB timing issue" is clear and easy to run with outside the 316.

If not for being 2nd fiddle to football (maybe 3rd or 4th fiddle) I actually believe Alabama could have been a good fit for Gregg. But he turned down MORE than $4 million per and I can promise you the price has gone up. He's not taking a discount.

I believe, given the somewhat uppity "our **** doesn't stink" mentality of a school like Vandy (seriously, no offense intended) that he would be a terrible fit there.

Coach Marshall is a unique individual and what you (or anyone) think drives him probably doesn't. And whenever he does "what he does" next, it will probably be a surprise to most people.

I know this...he will coach where he's loved. He doesn't want to coach forever (and forever in his mind doesn't extend more than 7-10 more years) and he has a ton of respect and admiration for Charles Koch.

And Gregg will do what Gregg wants to do.

Comment

• Originally posted by tcstephenson View Post
              All right, since my piece at Anchor of Gold got referenced here, I thought I'd clarify a few things.

There are delusional members of the Vanderbilt fan base because there are delusional members of every fan base. I do not think it is all that likely that Marshall will be Vanderbilt's next basketball coach. It is entirely possible that Marshall is just a smokescreen who is not being pursued by Vanderbilt at all. My immediate instinct when I saw the FlightAware stuff was that the Vanderbilt donor jet was probably coincidentally going to Wichita for maintenance, but as a blogger I felt it was probably better to address the rumors because they seemed to be blowing up in the Vanderbilt fan base.

The reference to VanVleet/Baker leaving was mostly to point out why Marshall might have turned down Alabama last year but would be open to leaving this year. But hey, you guys know your own program better than I do. I'll be the first to admit that.

As to some of the stuff posted in here, though -- Will Wade was never offered a contract by Vanderbilt and quite likely signed an extension with VCU because he was farther down Vanderbilt's candidate list than he thought he might be, and Jeff Capel was a name that from best anyone can tell was floated by his own agent because nobody connected to the search has even mentioned him as a candidate for the job. Vanderbilt is notoriously tight-lipped about athletic department internal matters and so there's a lot of bull being fed into the media by people who are either interested parties or have no idea what they're talking about, and that information probably isn't going to be countered by anyone connected with the program.

TL;DR: Marshall is a great coach who is probably not coming to Vanderbilt, but Vanderbilt is making the obligatory play for him (we think) because power conference AD's at least have to look like they're trying.
              Serious question - Would Vandy pay a basketball coach 1.25 -1.5 million $ more than their football coach? I would not think so but you know Vandy more than I.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                Serious question - Would Vandy pay a basketball coach 1.25 -1.5 million $ more than their football coach? I would not think so but you know Vandy more than I.
                I can assure you they would pay Gregg Marshall $1.5 million more than the current head football coach. They probably wouldn't pay Dan Muller that much though.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                  Very fair. And the "FVV RB timing issue" is clear and easy to run with outside the 316.

If not for being 2nd fiddle to football (maybe 3rd or 4th fiddle) I actually believe Alabama could have been a good fit for Gregg. But he turned down MORE than $4 million per and I can promise you the price has gone up. He's not taking a discount.

I believe, given the somewhat uppity "our **** doesn't stink" mentality of a school like Vandy (seriously, no offense intended) that he would be a terrible fit there.

Coach Marshall is a unique individual and what you (or anyone) think drives him probably doesn't. And whenever he does "what he does" next, it will probably be a surprise to most people.

I know this...he will coach where he's loved. He doesn't want to coach forever (and forever in his mind doesn't extend more than 7-10 more years) and he has a ton of respect and admiration for Charles Koch.

And Gregg will do what Gregg wants to do.
                  I think part of where I come down on why Marshall could come to Vanderbilt actually DOES have to do with his uniqueness. Never struck me as holding out for (fill in "blue-blood" job.)

But obviously if he were to take the Vanderbilt job, it's not going to be over money and more to do with fit. I'm not going to crap on Wichita State's program and suggest that Vanderbilt is a way better job just because it's in the SEC. (Except Eddie Fogler, obv.)

Comment

• God I hope they wouldn't pay Muller that much money or my opinion of the intelligence that your world class university churns out just went into the dumpster (fire).

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                      This. I've told this to many people. Gregg makes $3mil, and that number jumps to $3.5mil at some point soon. The conversation doesn't begin with him under $4mil, and the YES number probably goes higher than that. Not many schools will pay that for a basketball coach. The ones that do might not want a coach from "mid-major" Wichita State (their logic, not mine).
                      78-65

Comment

• Why is Drew from Valpo not in Vandy's sights? 1.5 mil would probably get it done, seems like the perfect fit, private institution in a P5 league, just like big bro.

Regardless Marshall has now been in Wichita for 9 years, he makes 3+ now, 3.5 staring in 2018 and doesn't seem to be looking to leave. Obviously he listens to all offers but not like he goes out pimping himself every off season. I imagine Vandy could do something to get him, nothing is impossible, but looking at what jobs he has turned down over the past few years I have a hard time believing Vandy is the school that finally gets Gregg to leave Wichita.

Comment

• I'm so tired of this thread being a thing. Some goobers comment on a Vandy message board has turned into days of conversation. Every P5 school opening is going to have someone bring up 3G. He's got a good gig. Can we not go into meltdown mode every time? Wichita as a whole has an image problem where we never think we are good enough. He's not going to Vandy. Can we move on?

Comment

• Originally posted by SPEShox25 View Post
                            I'm so tired of this thread being a thing. Some goobers comment on a Vandy message board has turned into days of conversation. Every P5 school opening is going to have someone bring up 3G. He's got a good gig. Can we not go into meltdown mode every time? Wichita as a whole has an image problem where we never think we are good enough. He's not going to Vandy. Can we move on?
                            I don't think any WSU fan here thinks HCGM would leave for Vandy. In fact, even the Vandy fan doesn't think HCGM would leave for Vandy.

Comment

I'm so tired of this thread being a thing. Some goobers comment on a Vandy message board has turned into days of conversation. Every P5 school opening is going to have someone bring up 3G. He's got a good gig. Can we not go into meltdown mode every time? Wichita as a whole has an image problem where we never think we are good enough. He's not going to Vandy. Can we move on?
                              Read the thread. I haven't seen a single post of anyone thinking 3G is leaving or anyone going into meltdown mode. Everyone is poking fun at Vandy and their message board people who actually believe they have a shot at him. This post doesn't even make sense in the context of the thread.

JD beat me to it.
                              "You Don't Have to Play a Perfect Game. Your Best is Good Enough."

Comment

This thread is for laughs. No one seriously believes that Marshall is going to Vandy. On top of that, there is ZERO evidence they have even contacted him. The Vandy board took a flightaware plan (which was for maintenance) and turned it into that they are bringing dump trucks of cash to Marshall and there is no way he would turn them down (sound familiar). That's the funny part.

Comment

Working...
                                X