The Annual HCGM's WSU Future

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by TheYeti
    This. I'd even be on board with higher ticket prices if necessary. There will be those that will complain, but we are definitely getting a premium product for our money.
    You could easily bump season tickets up $100 (which, for 15 or so games, isn't a whole lot.)

Not to mention, the $$$$ the new boxes will generate.
    The Assman

Comment

• Forget the Super-PACs, Chuck. If you want to change hearts and minds, put that money where it will do real work.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheYeti
        This. I'd even be on board with higher ticket prices if necessary. There will be those that will complain, but we are definitely getting a premium product for our money.
        Happens all the time. Team does well; season ticket prices, booster club fees, etc. go up. Folks should realize you can't keep the best coaches without paying a price, including individually as a fan.

Comment

• Mr. Sexton, you have a coach that just "put a clown suit" on KU. Strike while the iron is hot. PAY THE MAN.

Comment

• The season ticket cost (ticket plus SASO) definitely has room to move up. I think we're still well on the right side of the cost-demand curve, and I say that as someone who would have to cough up more money next year if they took my layman's advice.

Comment

• We could always start an indiegogo campaign ;)
              The Assman

Comment

• I am not going to lie, success, especially sweet success makes writing the check easier. I am a Bold Gold donor with 4 century club seats.

Go Shocks!
                “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• HCGM directly addresses the Bama chatter: http://www.cleveland.com/marchmadnes...oach_greg.html

"Q. I don't know what this says about the coaching profession or the media profession but your interview with Jim Rome yesterday turned into a Sports Center headline because of what you said about Alabama. What's the philosophy behind about being open about saying -- it's fairly normal for someone to say they will listen to other offers if they come, but in the coaching profession, it's not. Why so open about that, what's the philosophy?

COACH MARSHALL: My philosophy? I just tell people the truth. I don't try to sugarcoat things if they don't need to be sugarcoated. That's not something I'm worried about. I'm coaching my team. None of my players are worried about it, none of my staff's worried about it, and I've said how content and happy I am at Wichita State over and over and over, and we are. It could be the last job I ever have, I could retire from there. But at the same time I don't bury my head in the sand if a tremendous offer comes along, we look at it as a family and that's been something we've dealt with for 17 years. Probably 13 of the last 17 years, we've had decisions to make but I've had two jobs in that amount of time."
                  “Losers Average Losers.” ― Paul Tudor Jones

Comment

• I know a lot of KU fans were really unhappy with Roy Williams when he left. He talked about KU being his dream job and staying there forever. Then he left for UNC. People had shirts that said "Benedict Williams" etc.

I really appreciate HCGM's honesty about all of this. He's positive about WSU. There's not "at this level" talk and he has said he could win a championship here. He's also been honest about listening to offers, though. If he ever leaves, I do not foresee hard feelings between the majority of our fanbase and HCGM. I'll be particularly ready to wish him well, if he waits another five years or so. Then Jans will have enough experience to take over the reins.

As an aside for predictions, I'm only worried about Indiana right now. If he went to Texas or Alabama, I would be surprised. It would certainly mean that I undervalued how important money or power-5 affiliation is to him. A school like Indiana allows him to be at a top-5 historically program. He gets to be the biggest deal on campus. I hope Crean keeps his job. UNC would scare me if Williams stepped down because of the scandal stuff. Even then, though, I just don't believe Duke or UNC is ever going to hire someone outside of their coaching tree. Duke and UNC are the best programs in HCGM's neck of the woods. Indiana is the only one that I think has a pretty good chance at him. And if he were offered Indiana and he accepted, I would definitely not blame him for a second.

Comment

• Originally posted by jdshock View Post
                      I know a lot of KU fans were really unhappy with Roy Williams when he left. He talked about KU being his dream job and staying there forever. Then he left for UNC. People had shirts that said "Benedict Williams" etc.

I really appreciate HCGM's honesty about all of this. He's positive about WSU. There's not "at this level" talk and he has said he could win a championship here. He's also been honest about listening to offers, though. If he ever leaves, I do not foresee hard feelings between the majority of our fanbase and HCGM. I'll be particularly ready to wish him well, if he waits another five years or so. Then Jans will have enough experience to take over the reins.

As an aside for predictions, I'm only worried about Indiana right now. If he went to Texas or Alabama, I would be surprised. It would certainly mean that I undervalued how important money or power-5 affiliation is to him. A school like Indiana allows him to be at a top-5 historically program. He gets to be the biggest deal on campus. I hope Crean keeps his job. UNC would scare me if Williams stepped down because of the scandal stuff. Even then, though, I just don't believe Duke or UNC is ever going to hire someone outside of their coaching tree. Duke and UNC are the best programs in HCGM's neck of the woods. Indiana is the only one that I think has a pretty good chance at him. And if he were offered Indiana and he accepted, I would definitely not blame him for a second.
                      FWIW, Mike Kennedy specifically said he didn't think Gregg would want to coach in Indiana because it is even colder than Kansas. If Crean does get fired, that would imply that they need to rebuild. Gregg has stated that he doesn't want to do that. I get what you are saying, but personally, Indiana isn't a job I really see him taking.

Comment

• Adding on, Gregg has also said he cares about resonating with a community. In any blue blood, you are just another coach in a long line of great coaches. At Wichita State, he is associated with the program even now. Someone mention Wichita State, you immediately think of Gregg Marshall. At Indiana, Bob Knight would always be thought of first.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheDover1018 View Post
                          FWIW, Mike Kennedy specifically said he didn't think Gregg would want to coach in Indiana because it is even colder than Kansas. If Crean does get fired, that would imply that they need to rebuild. Gregg has stated that he doesn't want to do that. I get what you are saying, but personally, Indiana isn't a job I really see him taking.
                          I don't think Indiana is a rebuilding job. I think Crean underachieved this year with very young talent. They could be a top-10 team as early as next year.

The temperature thing makes sense, and I hadn't thought of that haha. I do agree 100% with your point about being THE coach at wsu rather than a coach in a long line of coaches. But I just don't know how much water that argument holds. He will soon become the winningest shocker coach of all time and, if he's not already, then he will be THE coach at wsu historically. Which would imply he wouldn't leave for anything under your assessment. I think a blue-blood is the only type of program he'd be willing to leave for now. And I guess that's part of the point I'm trying to make too. I think he DOES like being the king of Wichita. I think if Indiana comes open and he turns it down, then I would double the likelihood that he retires here.

Your point about Bob Knight is actually one reason I think Indiana is likely. Bob Knight is one of three coaches' pictures that he has on his office walls. Maybe to HCGM, UK and UNC represent spoiled entitled fans, while Indiana looks like the hard-fought prestige that he seeks.

I dunno. Just my two cents.

Comment

• All really good points. Really only one man really knows.

One last thing I would add, Gregg always stesses that it is a family decision. Some Indiana fans did chant "Tom Crean Sucks" at his sons high school basketball game. With his daughter being a freshman, I'm sure he would want to avoid that situation if he was ever frustrating their fans. (Which he obviously wouldn't, because he is amazing) But I would still factor that in if I were him.

Comment

• Unless Crean just kills it next year, they'll have someone new by the time this opens: http://www.insidethehall.com/2014/12...assembly-hall/
                              "Don't measure yourself by what you have accomplished, but by what you should accomplish with your ability."
                              -John Wooden

Comment

• Bruce Weber makes about as much as HCGM...........jeeze

Comment

Working...
                                X