Official Memphis vs. WSU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by UofMemphis View Post
    Tough game for my Tigers today...But playing WSU, Baylor, Ok State, Gonzaga, UConnx2, Cincyx2, SMUx2, Tulsax2, Temple, etc will make us 'battle tested' come March.

Good game, WSU...til next time.
    My eyes tell me Memphis is a tournament team come March!!! Wouldn't that be like 5 years in a row for Memphis? Good team!!!
    FINAL FOURS:
    1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
    1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

AP Poll History of Wichita St:
    Number of Times Ranked: 157
    Number of Times Ranked #1: 1
    Number of Times Top 5: 32 (Most Recent - 2017)
    Number of Times Top 10: 73 (Most Recent - 2013, 2014, 2015, 2017)

Highest Recent AP Ranking:
    #3 - Dec. 2017
    #2 ~ March 2014

Highest Recent Coaches Poll Ranking:
    #2 ~ March 2014
    Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by bunck View Post
      Our Shaq played 16 minutes while theirs played 22.
      And one is a Freshman while the other I believe is an upperclassman Junior.
      FINAL FOURS:
      1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:
      1964, 1965, 1976, 1981, 1985, 1987, 1988, 2006, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2021

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
      #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
      Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by proshox View Post
        So far not having the "gravitational pull" of Cleanthony Early is making this year's team a little easier to guard. The offense will open up if and when EW can knock down a three after setting a screen.
        NOT gonna happen. Too heavy up top the young man. Sets the screen just fine but catching that balance after the step back from the screen for a jumper at 3 point line isn't easy for a "bench presser". Top heavy. His play is moving guys around and either getting the ball or tapping it to a team mate. Good weapon to have!!!!
        FINAL FOURS:
        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
        #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by AZ Shocker View Post
          NOT gonna happen. Too heavy up top the young man. Sets the screen just fine but catching that balance after the step back from the screen for a jumper at 3 point line isn't easy for a "bench presser". Top heavy. His play is moving guys around and either getting the ball or tapping it to a team mate. Good weapon to have!!!!
          Too heavy on top? Do you remember Sasha Radunovich? He could shoot it and he was one big dude. Besides, Weasel only shot one 3. Baker has shot 12 or so and only made 2. Fred has shot 8 or so and only made 1. Don't jump to conclusions yet.

Comment

• The woofing by Goodwin was brought up earlier. I went back to find the first time i noticed he did it and it seemed to light the fire.

Evan takes the ball through the lane and gets it blocked out of bounds by another guy and Goodwin stands there in front of Darius and Tekele clapping, smiling, and yelling about it. Darius and Tekele kind of looked like, "Oh. Ok."

The inbounds play then produced the dunk. Game on.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
              Nick King, Memphis:

Paraphrasing: "We only lost by 15. We had a lot of turnovers. If we didn't have those, I think we would've won."

LOL.
              If he literally meant "We had a lot of turnovers. If we didn't have those (and had 0 instead), I think we wouldn't won." then I agree with him.

If he meant fewer turnovers, but some non-zero number, then yeah, he's crazy.

I'll go with the latter.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                If he literally meant "We had a lot of turnovers. If we didn't have those (and had 0 instead), I think we wouldn't won." then I agree with him.

If he meant fewer turnovers, but some non-zero number, then yeah, he's crazy.

I'll go with the latter.
                "We only won by 15. We missed a lot of shots. If we had made all our 3ptrs and FTs, we would've won by 57."

That's the sort of statement that is being made.

Reality check: WSUs guards are way more likely to make the 'not miss a shot' scenario occur than the 'other team with no TOs' scenario.

Comment

• Worthless day-after recap:

1) Baker's swagger and ability to back it up have taken another leap forward.

2) They should cast Cotton as the next Batman. Srsly.

3) FVV knows what needs to be done, and is completely capable of taking over a game if he has to. That scoring drought he pulled us out of was rediculous. Those rims must have been tighter than O.J.'s gloves. At least one of his turnovers was B.S.

4) Warning to opposing teams: Don't get Shaq'd on. Don't run into his elbows. Don't get sat on by him. And for poop sakes if he's running out to block your three point attempt, don't stand and take it like a man -- GET OUT OF THE WAY! Shaq is going to be a crowd favorite before his time expires at WSU.

5) Nurger can MOVE for a big guy! He's gonna end up being a crowd favorite too. Doesn't he know freshmen are supposed to look lost for a while?

6) Wessel: Dude is s.c.r.a.p.p.y. He is producing offensively if you consider all the loose balls he grabs and the extra possessions we score off of.

7) Carter's game is growing leaps and bounds with his confidence. He's gonna be a crowd favorite THIS YEAR.

The rest sort of looked like freshmen and JUCO transfers at the very beginning of a season, playing against a really good Memphis team. Imagine that?
                  Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

• Answer to King logic.

"We only won by 15. We would have won by 30, if we had not played the freshmen for 69 minutes or 35% of the game minutes."
                    "Prediction is very difficult, especially if it is about the future."

--Niels Bohr

Comment

• A tale of two halves. We were just better than Memphis, both halves. Nioce win for our Shocks.
                      I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                        Don't jump to conclusions yet.
                        Maybe he will get it going (scoring) this year. Love his scrappy play! 3 years into the system and I haven't seen "that" shot fall yet. He's like a bulldozer crashing through causing havoc for everybody!!!! Great alternative weapon me thinks!!!
                        FINAL FOURS:
                        1965, 2013

NCAA Tournament:

NIT Champs - 1 (2011)

#3 - Dec. 2017
                        #2 ~ March 2014

#2 ~ March 2014
                        Finished 2013 Season #4

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
                          Quotes like that make me wonder how bad it could have been if Gregg didn't call off the dogs in the second half. 30 points maybe?
                          Easily if we had any kind of decent offense in the first half.

Comment

• My favorite quote from a Memphis board:

"... there was one point about the Wichita State Shockers that was very interesting. >>>>>>> Our Tigers physically looked like toothpicks compared to the strength and muscled bodies and conditioning of the Shocker players overall.

JabberGosh, why were they physically so more imposing than our Tigers? These guys looked like each one had an NBA personnel trainer behind his body. Did anyone else notice the physical body differences between the two teams? They literally just outmuscled us at times in the game besides out hustling us indeed. I mean we have been given glowing reports about how our Tigers have been constantly conditioning and boot camp drills.... Why was there such a disparity between our Tigers physical condition and theirs? Actually, we have been practicing longer than them because we went on a foreign tour. So why weren't we anywhere near as physically imposing as them? The Shockers were every bit as big and strong as the fabled Florida Gators training and conditioning results. Hence, here's a graphic Smiley Roar World List comparison of what I saw out in South Dakota on display at the Pentagon court today>>>>>>>>>>

flex <<<< this was what our tigers courtside today looked like they had endured in conditioning..

Andddddd...Now this>>>> weights weights_bar doubleshake <<<<< was what the Shockers physically looked like what they had been thru in pre-season training. No comparison..."

Comment

• Originally posted by rayc View Post
                              My favorite quote from a Memphis board:

"... there was one point about the Wichita State Shockers that was very interesting. >>>>>>> Our Tigers physically looked like toothpicks compared to the strength and muscled bodies and conditioning of the Shocker players overall.

JabberGosh, why were they physically so more imposing than our Tigers? These guys looked like each one had an NBA personnel trainer behind his body. Did anyone else notice the physical body differences between the two teams? They literally just outmuscled us at times in the game besides out hustling us indeed. I mean we have been given glowing reports about how our Tigers have been constantly conditioning and boot camp drills.... Why was there such a disparity between our Tigers physical condition and theirs? Actually, we have been practicing longer than them because we went on a foreign tour. So why weren't we anywhere near as physically imposing as them? The Shockers were every bit as big and strong as the fabled Florida Gators training and conditioning results. Hence, here's a graphic Smiley Roar World List comparison of what I saw out in South Dakota on display at the Pentagon court today>>>>>>>>>>
                              <<<< this was what our tigers courtside today looked like they had endured in conditioning..
                              Andddddd...Now this>>>> <<<<< was what the Shockers physically looked like what they had been thru in pre-season training. No comparison..."
                              Couldn't read this; copied and changed font color...

<<<< this was what our tigers courtside today looked like they had endured in conditioning..
                              Andddddd...Now this>>>> <<<<< was what the Shockers physically looked like what they had been thru in pre-season training. No comparison..."

"You Just Want to Slap The #### Outta Some People"

Comment

• Originally posted by rayc View Post

flex <<<< this was what our tigers courtside today looked like they had endured in conditioning..

Andddddd...Now this>>>> weights weights_bar doubleshake <<<<< was what the Shockers physically looked like what they had been thru in pre-season training. No comparison..."
                                Seriously some LOL right there.
                                Kung Wu say, man who read woman like book, prefer braille!

Comment

Working...
                                X