No announcement yet.

Official Memphis vs. WSU Game Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• This game opened my eyes to something. We will not be able to contend for a national championship without a Cle like player. If Memphis had anything that resembled an offense and organization, that would have been a different game. I am not in the "we are better than last year" camp. Not yet at least. Also, our reserves left a puddle of urine on the court. We need to keep grinding.
    “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
    -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• Haven't watched the game. Will do that later on DVR. Listened to most of it. I'm very happy for the W and the highlight reels.

Looked at the Memphis board and they think we're pretty shitty and their team is just worse.

Can you name me a team playing right now that is playing perfect basketball and in March form? I'll be waiting for that list of teams.
      Deuces Valley.
      ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Again a stellar defensive effort led the way. Finally got a few 3's to drop and what a monster dunk by Cotton. First half was pretty ugly on the offensive end but they didnt let it effect their defensive intensity. I liked it that Fred looked for his shot a little bit more when we were struggling and Ron got untracted in the second half offensively. Mr. Cotton was his usual self. I also thought Darius had a good solid game, I do worry a bit about him getting in foul trouble. Thought the freshmen as a whole didnt hurt us and I saw some positives overall. I think Rian looked pretty comfortable and stroked a nice three and I think Shaq is out to prove himself, if he keeps improving along with Kelly and Nurger I'm feeling pretty good about our frontcourt.

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
          This game opened my eyes to something. We will not be able to contend for a national championship without a Cle like player. If Memphis had anything that resembled an offense and organization, that would have been a different game. I am not in the "we are better than last year" camp. Not yet at least. Also, our reserves left a puddle of urine on the court. We need to keep grinding.
          I know Cle was a special player but I feel like there are a lot of special players left on the roster. UConn comes to mind as a team who won a couple of NC without a Cle type player.

Personally I was glad to see the new guys struggle somewhat this game. In order for them to grow they need to face adversity and receive coaching based on how they handled it. Even better if they can get that education while the good guys come out with a 15 point win.

I'm really not sure what to think of Memphis (or NMSU for that matter). Both definitely had athleticism to spare but neither were disciplined or skilled enough to do much with it. A lot of credit belongs to the suffocating defense by WSU. I thought both teams provided a tough defensive test for us in the half court. It will be interesting to see how their seasons unfold.

Comment

• Originally posted by kochHead View Post
            This game opened my eyes to something. We will not be able to contend for a national championship without a Cle like player. If Memphis had anything that resembled an offense and organization, that would have been a different game. I am not in the "we are better than last year" camp. Not yet at least. Also, our reserves left a puddle of urine on the court. We need to keep grinding.
            Many people thought the same last year. Many games with mediocre first halves.
            Kansas is Flat. The Earth is Not!!

Comment

• Originally posted by shockmonster View Post
              Covering for Early will come from everyone. How many 3 pointers did we make in the second half?

4-9 Maybe? Baker and Fred just need to start knocking them down (40-45%) and Holland needs to become more comfortable playing (also 40%). This only comes from experience. From the past two years, my gut tells me that Tekele "HAMMER" Cotton will also start knocking them down with 35% regularity. Wessel will too but his will be more at 30-33%. Last for us to thrive, we need Nurger to be a little more comfortable playing. He can shoot it at 33% too. We'll be ok but the showdowns with physical teams like Kentucky may be more difficult for us without Early.

It is pretty evident that Tekele is on a mission. I really want van to be more of a scoring threat. He can do it.

Comment

• I've watched the game twice now.

We are a good f'ing team.

Memphis is a good team.
                "When life hands you lemons, make lemonade." Better have some sugar and water too, or else your lemonade will suck!

Comment

• I guess SanDiego State is pretty crappy too, neitheir them or Utah shot the ball well. Great defensive teams can make teams look terrible and when teams arent hitting shots it can look ugly if all you look at is the offensive end. We dont have to convince coachs and people who understand the game how good we are. Memphis fans are mad about their team, so therefor they want to drag us down...nice try, we're no.11 and climbing

Comment

• Didnt see any urine on the floor, I think or freshmen two games in look pretty composed for the most part. Now all of them in togetheir can get sloppy, but hey we're two games in..the potential is there

Comment

• Nice to see the young freshmen get some playing time today against a quality opponent (Memphis will figure it out). Good win for the Shox. Now, they need to get some offensive consistency before they play Utah as Utah gave San Diego State everything they could handle and nearly beat them on their own court.

Comment

• Originally posted by Blackmag View Post
                        Didnt see any urine on the floor, I think or freshmen two games in look pretty composed for the most part. Now all of them in togetheir can get sloppy, but hey we're two games in..the potential is there
                        Lol, yes I was talking about the end of the game with that comment.
                        “Let your plans be dark and impenetrable as night, and when you move, fall like a thunderbolt.”
                        -Sun Tzu, The Art of War

Comment

• It appears the high point man today, Mr. Baker, had the fewest stars coming out of High School.. Almost forgot. Maybe he had no stars?

Once he gets his stroke clicking, watch out. Mr. Cotton has hops that are amazing. Nice win today and so far, so good. I like the way

our quality depth is being developed. This will come in very handy as the Season progresses.
                          Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• I like our team and I think we could win 30 games again, because Ron/Fred/Tekele are that good. That said, we miss Cle's length and athletism on defense. I like Kelly/Nurger/Shaq, but they have a long ways to go to be like Cle. I like Evan but we can't hang with teams like Kentucky or Duke starting a 6'4" power forward. We need our young guys to start putting it together fast.

Comment

• Wessel hustled angry again today and it really helped. He understands his role and plays the game hard, doing lots of little things that make a positive difference.
                              Shocker basketball will forever be my favorite team in all of sports.

Comment

• Originally posted by forevershockerfan View Post
                                Wessel hustled angry again today and it really helped. He understands his role and plays the game hard, doing lots of little things that make a positive difference.
                                Yes, but sooner rather than later, we need him doing thatat the 3, and scoring some points also.

Comment

Working...
                                X