2014-15 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
    Comparing the programs and reputations of Wichita State 2015 and Murray State 2012 is both laughable and illogical.
    What would be your guess on WSU's seed if they had a 31-2 record, but a better SOS than Murray State had in 2012?

Comment

• While numbers are important, the committee is made up of humans, and our recent track record combined with the eye test gives us a significant advantage over Murray State. I'd say even without a top 50 win and only sustaining one more loss we would at worst be a 3 seed. The Utah game would count as a quality loss.
      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• at this point, ISUr has a top 50 non con win vs ODU. With their remaining schedule, that could remain a top 50 win.

Comment

• True, ODU is ranked 27 in the current RPI ratings, so there is a chance they stay there at year's end, but...

RPI Forecast predicts they finish at 53.
          KenPom ranks them at 79 at the moment.

Their current RPI rank seems to fall into the "its December and its too early to trust the RPI" category. They could possibly finish top 50 at year's end, but I'd say it is 50/50 at best.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
            What would be your guess on WSU's seed if they had a 31-2 record, but a better SOS than Murray State had in 2012?
            Probably a 2/3 seed.

Comment

• Originally posted by 1979Shocker View Post
              If even just 1 WSU win turns out to be a top 50 win, I'd say 31-2 WSU is a #2 seed at worst, with a #1 seed still a possibility.

It's the 0 top 50 wins scenario that concerns me. I could see 31-2 WSU, in that scenario, as a #3 or #4. It would be stupid to make such a big deal over something as small as whether their best win was over #52 or #48, but I don't trust the committee. They do a good job in general, but they have shown a history of making weird choices with teams that finish with oddball resumes. Besides 2012 Murray State who I already mentioned, 2011 Utah State is another good example. They finished 30-4 and #17 in KenPom's rankings. I believe they were either ranked or just barely outside the top 25 in the "others receiving votes" category. They had a few top 100 wins but no top 50 wins. They ultimately received a 12 seed despite the average bracketologist having them around an 8 or 9.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                If even just 1 WSU win turns out to be a top 50 win, I'd say 31-2 WSU is a #2 seed at worst, with a #1 seed still a possibility.

It's the 0 top 50 wins scenario that concerns me. I could see 31-2 WSU, in that scenario, as a #3 or #4. It would be stupid to make such a big deal over something as small as whether their best win was over #52 or #48, but I don't trust the committee. They do a good job in general, but they have shown a history of making weird choices with teams that finish with oddball resumes. Besides 2012 Murray State who I already mentioned, 2011 Utah State is another good example. They finished 30-4 and #17 in KenPom's rankings. I believe they were either ranked or just barely outside the top 25 in the "others receiving votes" category. They had a few top 100 wins but no top 50 wins. They ultimately received a 12 seed despite the average bracketologist having them around an 8 or 9.
                I know it might be a little counter-intuitive, and perhaps a little too 'meddling' and 'proactive' by the selection committee, but I would actually prefer they lean in the direction of overseeding non P5 schools in the tournament. When we have a Top 10-Top 20 that likes to sit around and say "We have no reason to play that game", well, now you have a reason. Give these teams losses or they are going to take your seed.

Comment

• I mean, it is possible but if we're being honest what are the chances that we win Diamondhead (likely picking up a win over CU/GW in the championship), and then all of the following fail to crack the Top 50 at year end: Seton Hall, Alabama, CU/GW, UNI, ISUr and UE? Nebraska looks primed for another year of awful computer numbers but potential at-large hopes in spite of them.

Seems like <10% and probably more like a two+ standard deviation scenario.

Comment

• Originally posted by Play Angry View Post
                    I mean, it is possible but if we're being honest what are the chances that we win Diamondhead (likely picking up a win over CU/GW in the championship), and then all of the following fail to crack the Top 50 at year end: Seton Hall, Alabama, CU/GW, UNI, ISUr and UE? Nebraska looks primed for another year of awful computer numbers but potential at-large hopes in spite of them.

Seems like <10% and probably more like a two+ standard deviation scenario.
                    Anyone using standard deviation is okay in my book.

Comment

• I'm with Doc in regard to the UNIs. I think they're a good team, and I also believe they're better than last year's Indiana State team was. Losing at VCU, depending on how the Rams' season goes, could even end up being one of those prized "quality losses" (although WSU > VCU, no question). Plus, they aren't easy to beat at home, and that will likely be one of WSU's toughest remaining games -- maybe the toughest.

On the other hand, I'm pretty confident Washpun will have more "interesting" games against the Shocks than he did against VCU, and I believe WSU matches up pretty well with the UNIs. So even though I'll be pleasantly surprised if the Shocks sweep the Valley again this year, I won't be shocked -- and I definitely don't see any Valley team being favored against the Shocks in any game, including the mighty Panthers, even in snowy Cedar Falls.
                      Last edited by WSUwatcher; December 15, 2014, 11:36 PM.

Comment

• Personally, I'm not worrying one bit about seeding. Where did a high seed get us last year?
                        They purposefully put us in a bracket designed to take us out. So be it. I'm just going to
                        focus on each and every game and enjoy them to the utmost. This is another special group
                        and I want to enjoy the entire schedule. If we only lose another game or run the table
                        I think we can expect another tough bracket. Bring it on.

Comment

• For ISU, Bobby Hunter is day to day with concussion symptoms, and worse, Devaughan Purcell-Akoon who has been outstanding so far, is out indefinitely with a fractured hand. Hate to see anyone hurt, but that last one is really going to sting.

Comment

• Originally posted by WuDrWu View Post
                            For ISU, Bobby Hunter is day to day with concussion symptoms, and worse, Devaughan Purcell-Akoon who has been outstanding so far, is out indefinitely with a fractured hand. Hate to see anyone hurt, but that last one is really going to sting.
                            Wish them both a speedy recovery. They don't play real deep into their roster and that is indeed a tough break.

Comment

• Wait. Memphis, MoST and D+education are all leading at halftime.

What?

I guess im still not counting on wins though. I've learned that lesson.

Comment

• Originally posted by DJ06Shocker View Post
                                Wait. Memphis, MoST and D+education are all leading at halftime.

What?

I guess im still not counting on wins though. I've learned that lesson.
                                Mo St helping keep your feet on the ground.
                                Where oh where is our T. Boone Pickens.

Comment

Working...
                                X