No announcement yet.

2014-15 Games of Interest

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Per RPI forecast, Seton Hall is projected to end up in the 30s or 40s.

Comment

• And alabama in the 60s or 70s. Certainly enough to be concerned with both.

Even if maths is hard for some.

Comment

• A trio of games our opponents should win tonight. CST as usual.

Memphis vs. NC Central, 7 PM
        Missouri State @ ORU, 7 PM
        Drake vs. Jackson State, 7 PM

Comment

• After watching UNI against VCU I expect them to be a top 50 team. Losses against us
          and VCU, etc shouldn't hurt them a great deal and they could whip us there. I predict they
          will make the big dance.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
            Discounting the likely possibilities that Seton Hall and Alabama will have Top 50 RPIs is just as moronic as using the RPI right now.

Illogical.
            I never discounted the likely possibility that Seton Hall finishes top 50. I just wanted to discuss the (non-zero) possibility that they don't. Quit trolling.

As for Alabama, the computers actually have them as a long shot to finish top 50.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
              After watching UNI against VCU I expect them to be a top 50 team. Losses against us
              and VCU, etc shouldn't hurt them a great deal and they could whip us there. I predict they
              will make the big dance.
              "Whip us"?

Are you stoned?

Please name the last team to "whip" WSU, then compare and contrast UNI to that team.

"Whip us"?

Comment

• GW and Colorado are also both projected as fringe top 50 teams without factoring in the 2nd and 3rd games in Hawaii (these will help their SOS significantly). It's likely we will face one of them in HI and there is a solid chance that team finishes top 50.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                  I never discounted the likely possibility that Seton Hall finishes top 50. I just wanted to discuss the (non-zero) possibility that they don't. Quit trolling.

As for Alabama, the computers actually have them as a long shot to finish top 50.
                  You're telling people to stop looking at the RPI right now because it's useless. And then one sentence later, you're using RPI metrics to try and make a point. Make up your effing mind and stop trolling.
                  Deuces Valley.
                  ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

• Wu, did you watch UNI vs VCU. They looked pretty good. When I say "whip" I don't
                    mean significantly but could eke out a close win. I'll try and remember your above
                    post when the game rolls around and if I am wrong your welcome to rub my face in it,
                    and hope we win so you can.

Comment

• Originally posted by ShockerFever View Post
                      You're telling people to stop looking at the RPI right now because it's useless. And then one sentence later, you're using RPI metrics to try and make a point. Make up your effing mind and stop trolling.
                      Don't bother with the RPI "right now" because it is based on a very small sample size of fewer than 10 games.

Looking at "end of year forecasts" is still not perfect but is much more accurate because it includes so many more games. (30+)

My suggestion for the best option would be for people to look at KenPom which isn't RPI based. I think I've referred to the superiority (IMO) of KenPom about a bazillion times on this site, so you already knew I prefer his site for this stuff.

Fair enough?
                      Last edited by Jamar Howard 4 President; December 15, 2014, 11:09 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by asiseeit View Post
                        Wu, did you watch UNI vs VCU. They looked pretty good. When I say "whip" I don't
                        mean significantly but could eke out a close win. I'll try and remember your above
                        post when the game rolls around and if I am wrong your welcome to rub my face in it,
                        and hope we win so you can.
                        I have no desire to rub anything in. Look, I'm in the group that believes this team is more vulnerable than last year's team, certainly at this point, but vulnerable to what exactly? Vulnerable to the best teams in the country which is where this program is right now....considered one of the best teams in the country.

There's nothing wrong with identifying and discussing the shortcomings and concerns and I believe they are valid. And yes, every game has to be played and it's possible that any team can beat any other team on any given night. I just don't want to go overboard and maintain some levity. The sky isn't falling. We're a made 1-1 from a 39 game regular season winning streak. A current valley team hasn't beaten a WSU team since February 2013. We've been ranked in the top 15 for I don't know how many consecutive weeks. It's a stretch, at a minimum, to go from that to getting whipped by a UNI team whose best win is against the 2nd worst team in the Big10.

I did watch (some) of the UNI game and I do think they are good. But let's not kid ourselves, VCU isn't what they used to be at all.

Comment

• The Shocks are somewhat vulnerable especially if we aren't shooting well and Darius gets in foul trouble. But this is pretty much as expected breaking in 8 newbies. OTOH, Fred has not really shot well all season and that is bound to come around. Darius is clearly understanding that he needs to avoid foul trouble. Hopefully, Tekele's finger will eventually heal. Ron did surprise me with his shooting against Detroit. I suppose that confirms the rumors circulating that Ron is indeed human.

Alabama won't be easy and trips to Hawaii can always be interesting.

I think UNI, Illinois State and Evansville will all be tough games in the Valley especially on the road. I would be disappointed if we don't sweep the other 6 valley teams.

Comment

• The Shocks went 21-0 against the Valley last year. This year we have played and beaten 5 former Valley teams. Last year we beat 2 former Valley teams. The last current or former Valley team to beat the Shockers was Louisville in April 2013. That's 28-0 right there.
                            Livin the dream

Comment

• Originally posted by Jamar Howard 4 President View Post
                              One more thing I just realized. UNI plays Iowa this Saturday. If they lose, it is actually a realistic possibility that the ENTIRE MVC could finish the year without a top 50 non-conference win. Should WSU repeat at 18-0 and win St. Louis, that could mean the MVC goes without a top 50 win PERIOD. Yikes!
                              Lost in all the shuffle of rabbit trails in this thread was this point that I'd like to hear other's opinions on. We can debate the likelihood of this happening if we want, but if we stop for a second and just say "what if?..."

What do you all think? If the entire conference failed to gather a top 50 non-conference win, and WSU ended up something like 31-2, would the Shox still get a 1 or 2 seed, or would the committee possibly give them the Murray State treatment from 2012? That year, Murray State went 31-2 and received a 6 seed. Despite a much better SOS than that Murray State team had, I could see the lack of a single top 50 win pushing the Shox down to a 3 or 4 seed. On the other hand, the fact that WSU could have as many as 7 top 100 wins (all 51-100) in the OOC season alone might be enough to convince the committee that WSU was still worthy of a top 2 seed.

Comment

• Comparing the programs and reputations of Wichita State 2015 and Murray State 2012 is both laughable and illogical.
                                Deuces Valley.
                                ... No really, deuces.

- a smart man

Comment

Working...
                                X