2014-15 Media Love Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
    Jason King has always been very complimentary of Wichita State and of the program. Is he wrong by saying that right now UNI is playing better than us? I don't think so.
    they are clearly a serious threat to win the mvc regular season or post season, one or the other. no shame there. they are a great team this year.

'shockers need to put their freshman big-men on the fast track pdq.. or else..

Comment

• I'm glad it got said that UNI may be playing better than us. I hadn't really put two and two together yet this season about the fact that they are not just contending for 2nd place. They are good enough to challenge for 1st and we better be ready.

Comment

• Originally posted by wsushox1 View Post
        Jason King has always been very complimentary of Wichita State and of the program. Is he wrong by saying that right now UNI is playing better than us? I don't think so.
        Playing better than us against lesser competition. Their best potential non-con opportunity was on the road against an unranked VCU squad. They lost in overtime. Our best non-con opportunity was on the road against a top 15 opponent. We lost by one in overtime with our point guard missing the front end of a one and one with 8 seconds left.

I think we are still playing better. Maybe it looks uglier because our competition is tougher and more athletic. But we find ways to win even when we aren't clicking on all cylinders. We can be a lot better, no doubt. And UNI is a threat, but they are playing about at their ceiling right now. WSU isn't even able to see the ceiling yet, we can get that much better.
        You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post
          Playing better than us against lesser competition. Their best potential non-con opportunity was on the road against an unranked VCU squad. They lost in overtime. Our best non-con opportunity was on the road against a top 15 opponent. We lost by one in overtime with our point guard missing the front end of a one and one with 8 seconds left.

I think we are still playing better. Maybe it looks uglier because our competition is tougher and more athletic. But we find ways to win even when we aren't clicking on all cylinders. We can be a lot better, no doubt. And UNI is a threat, but they are playing about at their ceiling right now. WSU isn't even able to see the ceiling yet, we can get that much better.
          There is a lot of time between our visit to the frozen tundra on January 31st. The young guys have at least 50-60 hours of practice/game time to improve.
          "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
          ---------------------------------------
          Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
          "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
          "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• On basketball state website right now

http://www.bbstate.com/_cbk-widgets/img.generate.php?ID=46649
            "I not sure that I've ever been around a more competitive player or young man than Fred VanVleet. I like to win more than 99.9% of the people in this world, but he may top me." -- Gregg Marshall 12/23/13 :peaceful:
            ---------------------------------------
            Remember when Nancy Pelosi said about Obamacare:
            "We have to pass it, to find out what's in it".

A physician called into a radio show and said:
            "That's the definition of a stool sample."

Comment

• Originally posted by Steeleshocker View Post

i hate to say it, but i disagree. it's that veteran team (uni) that is going to get better and better, all season long. they're not at their ceiling yet.. it's preposterous to think otherwise.

mm.. we'll see what happens. i'll feel better when i see one of the frontline newcomers consistently contribute every game.. god help us.. otherwise, uni is even money to win the valley along with wichita state, no doubt. no doubt about it. 'good thing that marshall knows how good the mvc actually is, unlike, say, fogler and turgeon and lutz. he'll keep the shockers on their toes.. throwing leads AND counters.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post
                i hate to say it, but i disagree. it's that veteran team (uni) that is going to get better and better, all season long. they're not at their ceiling yet.. it's preposterous to think otherwise.

mm.. we'll see what happens. i'll feel better when i see one of the frontline newcomers consistently contribute every game.. god help us.. otherwise, uni is even money to win the valley along with wichita state, no doubt. no doubt about it. 'good thing that marshall knows how good the mvc actually is, unlike, say, fogler and turgeon and lutz. he'll keep the shockers on their toes.. throwing leads AND counters.
                I'm glad you aren't placing my bets.

Comment

• Originally posted by NCAABound View Post
                  I agree Fever...and also have UNI go to a Final Four and be 35-1 the following year and have a #11 in front of your name...then see how all of these teams play you. Suddenly the "lesser" teams find a way to play about 3x better than they normally would. Until then, you are just a directional school on their schedule.
                  Northern Iowa has NEVER been someone's Superbowl...

Comment

• Here's an early Christmas present for Shockernetters.

Gotta love it when the NYT article about the flagship university details how they got boatraced by Temple, while the NYT article about the Shockers showcases the fortitude and determination of our players.

Comment

• Originally posted by another shocker View Post

Juniors and seniors are always valued and make for dangerous teams, but their room for improvement is much smaller than a team full of freshman who keep growing and getting better each game. They've been playing together for 3-4 years already. To quote a football coach.

"They are who we thought they were"

Edit: seems like Kelly is contributing steadily on the front line already. And I'm loving the versatility that Zach Brown is adding to our lineup the last few games. I expect this to continue with the other new guys as well.
                      You miss 100% of the shots you don't take....

.....but, statistically speaking, you miss 99% of the shots you do take.

Comment

• Logue: Missouri Valley needs a push from UNI men

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ment/21053651/
                        ShockerNet is a rat infested cess pool.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shocker-maniac View Post
                          Logue: Missouri Valley needs a push from UNI men

http://www.desmoinesregister.com/sto...ment/21053651/
                          8th best conference?
                          I have come here to chew bubblegum and kickass ... and I'm all out of bubblegum.

Comment

• In the spirit of the thread, here's a nice mention in which AP writer Kurt Voigt states:

"SAME OLD SHOCKERS: Wichita State followed a surprising run to the 2013 Final Four by earning a No. 1 seed at last season's NCAA tournament, only to lose 78-76 to eventual finalist Kentucky in the round of 32. Well, the Shockers are back once again this season — ranked No. 16 and possibly the class of the Missouri Valley Conference, though No. 23 Northern Iowa figures to say something about that. Junior guard Ron Baker is averaging a team-best 16.6 points per game for Wichita State, which has wins over Memphis, Seton Hall and Alabama on its tournament resume so far."

http://www.mercedsunstar.com/sports/article5223783.html

Comment

• Originally posted by shocka khan View Post
                              Here's an early Christmas present for Shockernetters.

Gotta love it when the NYT article about the flagship university details how they got boatraced by Temple, while the NYT article about the Shockers showcases the fortitude and determination of our players.
                              Favorite quote from the article: "He makes everything look easy," teammate Ron Baker marveled one day. "You aren't paying any attention and then you look up and he has 18 points and eight assists." Although Fred has had a few games that aren't what we experienced last year, this quote by Ron is so true. He just quietly goes about his business while we watch the other guys.

Second favorite quote: "You know," he said, "you have your naive dreams and expectations of how great you are, but I mean, I don't think things could be much better. Besides winning a national championship. "And hey," VanVleet added with a smile, "we're still working on it."

Comment

• One more before the end of the year: http://collegebasketballtalk.nbcspor...tate-shockers/

As to the free throw shooting this year, I suspected part of the problem may also be that all three players are on the floor far longer so far this season than last year, but after looking it up, that's not the case. Only Ron is playing more minutes (32.4 vice 29.4 last year) with Fred (31.8 vice 31.7) and TC (30.4 vice 30.1) very close to their MPG last year. Who knows why their FT shooting is down this year but I hope it picks up because, as the writer points out, that's nearly 5 points a game and those points will factor in some close games we'll have as the season plays out.

Comment

Working...
                                X